cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hurricane Fiona extra data

whale66
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I literally JUST went through all of this on my mom's account & now I have NO data left. There was a 2GB bonus for customers impacted by Fiona which I thought I claimed but I just got a text that I'm out of data & it's not there. WHY didn't you just automatically put it on our plan. This is super frustrating, limited to NO data, issues with texts & phones since Sept. 24th. Our home wifi is STILL out so we need data to do anything. Can someone please send a link for me to contact a CSN, trying to find that on the home page is next to impossible

25 REPLIES 25

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@whale66 

I agree that for most customers the data bonus was relatively easy to claim but for those impacted the hardest by the hurricane just accessing the internet was a feat. Even today those who remain without electricity are those who may depend on accessibility to the internet the most to maintain communication and manage many aspects of their daily lives.

However you can't compare apples and oranges....what you pay for Bell service with a postpaid plan and a prepaid plan with public mobile are very different as is the ability to add free data cheaply and efficiently. Now if lucky customers got 50gb of free data added to their accounts.....

whale66

quite hard to claim it within 7 days when we didn't have power/internet & also data was NOT working for a few days after the storm.......

whale66

yeah I have that set....like I said in a previous post I never go over my 1GB. With power out for 15 days, literally no access to data for the first 4-5 days, texts & phone not working, we were left in the dark here. While I certainly appreciate the upgrade for clients impacted by Fiona, it certainly was NOT ideal that we literally had to use data to sign in & grab the offer on top of everything else we were dealing with. My brother is with Bell & they gave him 50GB top up automatically added to his account, he didn't have to do anything. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The link did go to that other page. It simply gave the code and maybe a little more info.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@nflfan92 

You probably got a phishing text. If you were without power and cell service or still are and just regained connectivity to post here then contact customer support and appeal to them explaining your circumstances. They will reconsider on a case by case basis.

nflfan92

Text I got never said that.  So greasy

hi @nflfan92 the bonus was long expired.  It sent you around  2.5 weeks ago and you need to  claim it within 7 days.

@nflfan92 wrote:

says that code 2GBFiona is not valid.  Live in PEI and text link takes you to a dead Eventbrite webpage

Who is Evenbrite?  It's possible that some organization was trying to copy Public Mobile's text mesage to get you provide your Public Mobile login details.   That would be considered a phising scam.

nflfan92

says that code 2GBFiona is not valid.  Live in PEI and text link takes you to a dead Eventbrite webpage

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LiamFreake 

Did you try to add 2GBFiona in the promo code box at the bottom of your plans and add ons page in your self serve account?

LiamFreake
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is this promo possibly expired? Other members of my immediate family with Publicmobile in same household got it last week.

@Kramy wrote:

FB uses a lot. I have seen people have 20-30GB/mo used on FB, and all they do is scroll past things without ever commenting. One thing that helps is turning off media autoplay. You go into FB, go to the Settings thing, scroll all the way down, then look for Media under Settings and Privacy, I believe? Then look for the Autoplay dropdown box. They really hide it - but you can set it to never autoplay until you tap, saving GB's of data.

You can verify if that's what happened by going into Settings -> Mobile Data and digging around in there. There's a spot that lists the data use by app. It's slightly differently named on iOS and Android, but both have it.

Android also lets you disable Background Data use per app - I would shut off FB if you don't care to have notifications bugging you. That way it works if you're checking it, and never alerts you to anything if you have it closed/hidden. Perfect.

Autoplay of videos can be disabled in the web browser for all sites.

Kramy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

FB uses a lot. I have seen people have 20-30GB/mo used on FB, and all they do is scroll past things without ever commenting. One thing that helps is turning off media autoplay. You go into FB, go to the Settings thing, scroll all the way down, then look for Media under Settings and Privacy, I believe? Then look for the Autoplay dropdown box. They really hide it - but you can set it to never autoplay until you tap, saving GB's of data.

You can verify if that's what happened by going into Settings -> Mobile Data and digging around in there. There's a spot that lists the data use by app. It's slightly differently named on iOS and Android, but both have it.

Android also lets you disable Background Data use per app - I would shut off FB if you don't care to have notifications bugging you. That way it works if you're checking it, and never alerts you to anything if you have it closed/hidden. Perfect.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@whale66 

So you were able to add the 2GBFiona promo code? Keep in mind the 75% and 95% data usage texts sent out by pm are based on all of the data on your account at renewal not just plan data. You may want to set up your data warning and limiter in your phone just in case.

Go back in your usage details from your last renewal and add up all the megs of usage. So that would be around the 12-13th of September. The dates in the account may be confusing.

I've recently seen that the start date is the new right date but the end date is one day after. It used to be start date one day early and the end date was right.

whale66

I did NOT use 3GB of data, guarantee you. I had to buy the $15 data add on just to get into the community to see these responses

Click on the little spinner refresh icons lower down or use private mode to check the counters to make sure you have some or none.

whale66

thank you.....I just had to do that for my Mom last night, will do it for my account.....since we had no wifi & actually not even data for the first 4-5 days (and still experiencing data issues) it would have been a lot more convenient if they had just automatically added it to accounts with postal codes corresponding to Fiona damage. I just got a text I reached my limit with a link to check my account which I could NOT do without data. Had to go to a family members to put it on my account

whale66

I never go over 1GB, ever.....we have been without power/wifi/ etc since Sept. 24th so my ONLY way to communicate with the outside world is via data. I'm pretty sure I haven't used 3GB, its only showing 1024 used on my account and I am not doing video calling or downloading, basically email & FB

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If you think you did have it then maybe you've used it all as well. It was not intended to be recurring. It was one time.

Another option is to change up to a larger data plan. If you are on a plan that is no longer offered then you wouldn't be able to go back to it.

But for two days maybe that's not worth it. You might want to make sure you're not unnecessarily using data. Like no video calls, no large downloads, no OS and app updates on cell data. etc.

@whale66    I'm wondering if there was a limited timeline for the code to be entered after receiving the offer, however, you can submit a ticket via chatbot or send a private message to customer support via the following links:

chatbot:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

CS_Agent:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Sounds like maybe you already had the promo data...but used it up.

You can also consider buying a data add-on for use until next plan renewal or hopefully you have wifi soon.

whale66

error message - not a valid promotion. I just had to PAY for 1GB, my plan renews on the 13th but I NEED data

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Top of this page, click Get Help / Chat with Simon to start process of CSA assistance.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@whale66 , please login to your self serve account, go to plans and add-on tab and enter 2GBFiona in the promo code box.  

Need Help? Let's chat.