cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to know when to insert PM Sim card and take out the old one after activating?

aalesber
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

7 REPLIES 7

@BKNS27 wrote:

To be on the safe side I agree with you on waiting…never thought about incoming calls and texts during the porting process but I would assume it will go to voicemail and text will eventually coming in on the PM SIM.

That wouldn't happen. You'd never get the call nor the voice message because you'll never know about it.  Voicemail is controled by the carrier that receives the call.  No notification would be received while using the Public Mobile service if the call went to the old carrier.

@computergeek541 

That is really strange because when my sister ported out from Virgin at the LD. 
We did the steps that I recommended and when she replied to the text then powered off her phone swapped the SIM. I called her number with the PIM SIM and it worked right away.

Your suggestion with having a second phone is a great idea but not everyone has a second phone.

To be on the safe side I agree with you on waiting…never thought about incoming calls and texts during the porting process but I would assume it will go to voicemail and text will eventually coming in on the PM SIM.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@aalesber 

Once you confirmed with YES within the 90 minutes then power off the phone and switch to the PM SIM power the phone back on and you should be good to go.

I recommend against this.  While the porting will go through, this will make it so that the customer will not receive any of the incoming text messages sent by people from other carriers or an incoming phone calls from the time of the siwitching the SIM card until the porting is complete. Porting does not happen immediately after replying to the porting confirmation text message.  While this would take a bit of work, the only way to ensure that no incoming communications are missed would be for the customer to continually check for this. After the old carriers service stops working being the time to swtich SIM cards would be my recommendation, although this would require the customer to manually check the status of this.  On the contrary, if the customer doesn't notice that the old carrrier's service has stopped working/stopped receiving calls, the reverse is also true.  

Ideally, a customer has more than one phone device and has them both working at the same time until porting has completed. This way, no incoming calls or text messages would be missed.  The customer would have to make sure that the phone tha the old carrier's SIM card is in is the one that was used at the time of that the porting request was made, this being just in case IMEI was using on the porting form.

porcupine
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

after i received the text then i switched them out

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@aalesber 

Once you confirmed with YES within the 90 minutes then power off the phone and switch to the PM SIM power the phone back on and you should be good to go.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@aalesber   are you porting from another provider?  If you have received the text from your old provider and replied YES, then you can remove the old SIM and put the new PM SIM in your phone

At that time , you should be able to make outgoing calls with PM SIM.  Incoming should come soon.  Try it.  If not work yet, reboot ever 15 mins and check again.  Incoming calls should come to your PM SIm within 2 hours

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Most carriers will send you a confirmation port request text.  Once you receive that text and answer yes to the port request, then you can put your new PM Sim card in your phone.  

Here is some more information

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Transferring-or-Changing-your-Phone-Num...

Need Help? Let's chat.