cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hold for 6 months

minjungkang
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Good afternoon, 

I am about to leave in Canada and I am out of Toronto for 6 months. I was wondering if I could keep my phone number not to pay for monthly fee. I was told that I could hold my account for around 3months setting up not to pay or deleting my payment option, but I will probably stay out around 6 months. I appreciate any advice. 

Thanks 

15 REPLIES 15

@Anonymous 

This is the first time I have missed the midnight eastern cut off time for lost/stolen to not renew the plan....with the double whammy of the extra payment in the available funds.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : My recent experience has been that I Resume but nothing seems to happen. The date is unchanged. Then I click Reactivate which goes to the payment screen and without doing anything upon returning to the overview page the date has changed. It still shows all suspended but services work. But maybe I'm really just reloading the page in effect. Not sure.

@Anonymous 

Not when your balance is equal to or exceeds your plan amount. When I last reactivated I got that weird glitch where it appears like your payment failed and clicked the submit button again. Instantly I reactivated and added a second payment to my balance. Then rewards were applied....

So the moment I unsuspend I will instantly reactivate my plan......but I did miss the cut off time and the plan did renew and I suspended right after the rewards were applied.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Interesting. Is that past the "regular" renewal date? You still might need to use the Reactivate button. I wonder if between Resuming and Reactivating you could change.

@Anonymous 

Nope I can't change plans while suspended via lost/stolen. It's greyed out.

@Anonymous 

You could be right....I can sort of test with the currently suspended plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

If available funds cover or exceed the current plan cost and a change to a lower priced plan is desired customer support has to be contacted before resuming via lost/stolen so a CSA can change the plan to the lower priced plan.

@darlicious : For cleanup purposes maybe you could pull your text out of the quote.

Are you sure you can't change a plan while under suspension? I'm quite sure you can. Maybe I've missed a detail.

@minjungkang 

Options for your account and service....

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number. Be sure to perform all call forwarding while in Canada. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

@0PX9O4 wrote:

@minjungkang You can report your number as lost/stolen in Self Serve but this is irreversible, and you will need to get a new SIM thereafter.

Edit: Removed unnecessary portion of the quoted post as the rest of the info provided is correct. 

@Anonymous 

Thanks for the suggestion to edit.

@0PX9O4 

The emboldened info is incorrect. Lost/stolen only disconnects the sim card from the provider/network as a temporary measure so no services can be used. It will also prevent any balance or autopay from being used to pay for the next renewal.

If suspension via this method is done before midnight eastern on day 30 of the plan cycle voicemail services will remain active. However rewards will not be applied automatically and contacting customer support after paying and reactivating to ask for them to be applied manually must be done.

Service has to be resumed via lost/stolen first before payment can be applied via self serve to reactivate. 611 will still take a payment but services won't be automatically reactivated until service is resumed via lost/stolen.

If available funds cover or exceed the current plan cost and a change to a lower priced plan is desired customer support has to be contacted before resuming via lost/stolen so a CSA can change the plan to the lower priced plan.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@minjungkang wrote:

Good afternoon, 

I am about to leave in Canada and I am out of Toronto for 6 months. I was wondering if I could keep my phone number not to pay for monthly fee. I was told that I could hold my account for around 3months setting up not to pay or deleting my payment option, but I will probably stay out around 6 months. I appreciate any advice. 

Thanks 

@minjungkang  - you will have to pay at one point during a 6 month period, but if timing works out it could be only one time for $15 to keep your account and phone number from closing completely.

If you have Available Funds to renew your plan, you will need to list your account into the Lost/Stolen feature through your self serve account. This will prevent any payments from being taken and also you will not be able to use your calling/texting/data services during this time.

If you do not have enough Available Funds to renew your plan, let it go into Automatic Non-Pay Suspended status.

In both cases above - ensure to active the plan before the 90 days is up (a few days early just to be safe).

When you do, change your plan to the $15 one, then reactivate it.

Then let it suspend again... 

Make sense?

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@minjungkang wrote:

Good afternoon, 

Thanks 

@minjungkang 

Since your account can only be suspended 90 days (~3 months) before being closed for good, you'll need to pay at least $15 at the ~85th day mark to renew it and let it suspend another 90 days.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

A few options:

You can suspend your account for 90 days, then pay for one month and then resuspend for another 90 days.  Lower your plan to the $15 plan (if you have grandfathered plan, keep the same plan).

Some people just lower plan to $15 plan and just keep active while away. 

Just remember: If suspended more than 90 days, your account will be permanently closed and number lost and account closed permanently. 

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@minjungkang You can report your number as lost/stolen in Self Serve but this is irreversible, and you will need to get a new SIM thereafter.

Instead, if you remove autopay, your number will be held for 90 days after your next payment becomes due before being recycled. Making one payment at the 87/88 day mark will give you another 30 days for the plan + 90 days for the number being kept active.

A more extensive discussion can be found here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/When-and-How-to-Suspend-or-Place-an-accoun...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@minjungkang 

Reactivate a suspended plan (publicmobile.ca)

you can take your Autopay for now and pay back on 86 days to you save your number,

if your plan is higher price you can change to lower $15,

but if you don't need to save your number just take your Autopay and when coming back to canada you can start new account with new SIM card.

Need Help? Let's chat.