cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free 2GB data this year!

Shirly19
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do we get free 2GB data and 500 mins of calling international this year also?

22 REPLIES 22

Good find!

LOL that they tell us that losing loyalty perks is made up for with an offer that is only available to new customers 🤣 So tone-deaf.

1000009210.png

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Grand_Total
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Jonavin wrote:

I'm considering one of those Freedom annual plans to replace the $15/month plan.  The $119 with 15GB is pretty good with over 1GB per month of 4G data.

The only thing that worries me about the 6 or 12 month plans (even the 90 day plans to a lesser extent) is burning through your allowance of data before the end of the period. I feel that's more of a problem than 30 day plans.

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm considering one of those Freedom annual plans to replace the $15/month plan.  The $119 with 15GB is pretty good with over 1GB per month of 4G data. PM no longer has the major advantages like addons that never expire or annual holiday bonuses.

PM needs more competitive plans if they plan to get rid of all the things that make them unique and special, and that includes the annual holiday bonuses.

Grand_Total

@DennyCrane Never is a long time 🙂 I'm fairly sure that the "race to the bottom" will take care of that.

Maybe I'll give Freedom another look, I'm not really concerned about "awkward handoffs", at least I think I'm not because I do not tend to be making voice calls while moving, typically just navigation.

@Grand_Total I don't see us seeing a $40 Can/US plan outside of Quebec anytime soon. Or ever.

As for Freedom, all their plans now include roaming on their partner networks in Canada for no extra charge. I'm assuming there's an awkward handoff when moving between their native and partner networks, but I don't have first hand experience to be able to confirm that. But it is all included up to your plan limits.

Grand_Total

I was fortunate to switch to the 10GB/$29/4G plan before it became new activations only. I have been holding out for a $40 CAN US plan but the more I think about it I may just not bother and stick with what I have because after switching to a CAN US plan for a few months I may not be able to switch back to the $29 plan when I want to.

My current thinking is that I may just pick up a US$15 T-Mobile prepaid plan (3.5GB data per month) for the couple of months that I need US data and pause my PM subscription.

I know that Freedom used to provide coverage outside major cities by roaming on other providers is that still true, I haven't looked in a long time? 

Frequent_flyer

Was just mentioning their prepaid 149/yr plan with 20GB/yr data.

They also have a $25/month with 4GB of 4G LTE data as well. This blows away the PM offer of 1GB of 3G data for $25/month.

And if 4GB isn't enough, they have 20GB for $29/month......did I mention it's all 4G speeds.

How does that compare to PM?

Don't think you need to budget any data on those plans.

@Grand_Total wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

So we already have an add-on mess. Now imagine your scenario added to it!

I used to be a software developer, this sort of thing is not a problem.

I'm sure it isn't, technically...

How long have you been with Public Mobile? In the old days I've said that PM is putting a bandaid on one problem in My Account, and breaks something else in the process. They might have gone to a new platform earlier this year, but to me it feels like it's just lipstick on the same pig... (as in: the underlaying philosophy/procedure/corporate quirks (or whatever it is) haven't really changed).

Grand_Total

@Frequent_flyer wrote:

Just an F.Y.I:

Freedom Mobile has a prepaid yearly plan for $149 (plus $10 admin fee) which includes 20GB of 4G LTE data

They did have a black Friday deal that doubled the data to 40GB/year. Who knows maybe they will give more data on any boxing day/week sale they announce.

The $159 (incl fee) is under $15/month taxes in! That includes 1.6GB of data/month.

I hope PM does something to match it's competition on behalf of its own loyal customers!🙏

A couple of months ag I would have been interested in this. I was surviving on a basic plan with 250MB data. It worked because I had most apps prohibited from using data but it still got to the point where I was running out of data before I ran out of month. So I bit the bullet and upgraded and now find that I am using a little over 2GB a month. I don't think I want to go back to budgeting data. Thanks for mentioning though.

Grand_Total

@wetcoaster wrote:

I used to be a software developer, this sort of thing is not a problem.

Frequent_flyer

Just an F.Y.I:

Freedom Mobile has a prepaid yearly plan for $149 (plus $10 admin fee) which includes 20GB of 4G LTE data

They did have a black Friday deal that doubled the data to 40GB/year. Who knows maybe they will give more data on any boxing day/week sale they announce.

The $159 (incl fee) is under $15/month taxes in! That includes 1.6GB of data/month.

I hope PM does something to match it's competition on behalf of its own loyal customers!🙏

Grand_Total

...they'd rather have you change plans to one that gives them a better ARPU. 

Here's a hint for the powers that be, offer to the rest of Canada the plans that Quebec has, in particular the CAN US plan at $40 per 90 days. I will stretch to that, but not $60/65.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

This thread title should be updated. The exclamation point should be changed to a question mark. The way it currently reads is that you're announcing that it's happening.

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

You know @Phil_Adelphus that is a very interesting point. But allow me to play devils' advocate here. You get say 50GB of max speed data. Then after it goes to throttled. I would say these bonus data add-ons would still be added and would be used at max speeds until used. Of course, this is just conjecture. 

At this point all "old" / "carry-over" data add-ons are disabled on "unlimited" plans. Once you reach the limit on the 5G data the throttle kicks in, but they are sending out "upsell" text trying to entice you to buy a data add-on to "continue using fast speed" at crazy rates of something like 4GB for $40, to be used within the next 30 days. (Need to go and find the post with the according screen shot or copy/paste, IIRC it was posted within the last two weeks...)

In my personal opinion, data gifts are a thing of the past. At the moment they slapped an expiry onto the add-ons and introduced the unlimited plans with throttle they made it clear that they'd rather have you change plans to one that gives them a better ARPU. The 3G plans, the only ones that carry over data add-ons would still be valuable for, are only in the line-up because they have to to comply with the mandates.

However, I'll happily take any freebies that might show up!

@Chalupa_Batman That would be ideal, but it's not how current add-on's work, so I doubt any free add-on's would work that way either.

I'm in the camp that I wouldn't be surprised if there were no data bonuses this year. It just doesn't make sense with all these 5G unlimited plans with massive data buckets and the inability to use data add-on's. It would only benefit the lower spend plans, and that wouldn't make business sense. It would be nice to see some long distance minutes again though, and maybe even a free roaming pass. The latter could get people used to the benefit of having their own number for roaming, and may encourage more purchases of roaming add-on's or Canada/US plans.

You know @Phil_Adelphus that is a very interesting point. But allow me to play devils' advocate here. You get say 50GB of max speed data. Then after it goes to throttled. I would say these bonus data add-ons would still be added and would be used at max speeds until used. Of course, this is just conjecture. 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

Bonus data add-ons won't be an option for those on 5G unlimited plans presumably, since last year's were rendered "incompatible" with them.  Hopefully we will still get something, like international minutes.  The bonus international minutes were better in a way than the regular international add-on because they included UK and USA.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Shirly19 

We are still waiting for the More is Merrier promo this year. Nothing yet and hope there will be one this year.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

That's pretty much the standard Christmas gift to Public Mobile customers. But hey, let's see if they decide to switch things up this year.

Hi @Sony16 Not sure how long you've been with Public Mobile but every year they give customers Christmas gifts as a way to say thanks for being a customer. I've been here almost 5 years and I have just under 2000 INTL minutes and about 10GB of data saved up. You know, for a rainy day. 🙂 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Shirly19 

no word on this.  Last couple years, the bonus announced on Dec 1st.   So, I would assume we won't have one this year

Sony16

Never heard of such promotion.

Need Help? Let's chat.