cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need Data to receive and make a phone call?

AbbyNOV
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have unlimited talk and text and very limited data. If I run out of data am I still able to make / receive a phone call  or text message?

Thanks!! 

8 REPLIES 8

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@AbbyNOV 

Straight-forward calls and text messages using the Public Mobile system, YES you can do this with no data required (subject to any calling minute limitations you may have, as would be the case with the $15.00 plan)

If you're using an app to make calls or send messages (i.e. as would be the case if using Whatsapp, Textnow, Google Duo, Skype, etc for calling -or- similar for messaging including Apple iMessage and Android Chat), then you WOULD NEED either a data plan or Wi-Fi availability.

Sheba_1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes you can make calls and texts without data

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Data has nothing to do with SMS nor with receiving/placing calls.

The only time when data is required is when sending/receiving MMS.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@AbbyNOV  Yes . You can still make and receive calls with no data 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Text message is a slippery one. If you have an iphone then you might not be sending real sms messages. They have their own proprietary instant messaging system that needs the internet. Androids have something called RCS or chat. Same thing. So imessage has a couple options called send as sms and send as mms to allow using real sms (and mms).

@AbbyNOV   Yes, you can make and receive calls  (as well as sms text) even your data are all used up

AbbyNOV
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@softech Thank you for the quick response.  just to be clear - even if I run out of data I can still make and receive a phone call?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@AbbyNOV   data is NOT needed for voice calls. You don't even need to enable Mobile data to get voice calls 

Need Help? Let's chat.