cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

Cdnfenix36
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I have been a PM customer for a long time.  I have switched my plans ( I REFUSE to call it a subscription) when there are better data rates for the same price.  Currently I am on the 34 for 50GB plan.  When I had lower data caps of 10-15GB I would use 7-9GB consistently.  Now that I have 50 for this month (2 days left) I'm at 17.75GB.  Nothing has changed with my usage habits so I don't understand why its doubled over a couple months.

7 REPLIES 7

@Yummy  Does Anybody uses Google map while driving? HOW much data is used while navigating???

I have occasionally when the car's navigation was out of date and I haven't found that Google Maps uses as much as I might have expected.  But if it's a concern, just download the map area that you want over wifi before leaving home and use it offline.

@will13am wrote:

I continue to avoid watch videos on a postage sized screen.   

GOOD for you. I would never understand people walking on the street watching something on that puny screen.

Does Anybody uses Google map while driving? HOW much data is used while navigating???

saturna
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Can we assume that the plan change also came with a speed change? as in 4G on the previous plan, 5G now?

I have not looked into this recently, but apps like youtube etc used to have settings to stream content at a higher resolution when the app detected a faster connection. 

I also go back into settings to make sure that background data is still minimized after every system / app update on my phone.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have been a customer since 2016 and for most of that time I was on the 2016 fall promo which provided 12GB data over a 90 day period.  I was able to get by no problem.  I too have the $34/50GB plan.  I also think that my usage pattern has not change.  I continue to avoid watch videos on a postage sized screen.  Subliminally, I am wary that I have a lot more data on hand and as such my usage is way over 4GB every 30 days.  

BrookT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Cdnfenix36  That sounds very frustrating! It could be because you've gotten a new phone and the data settings are a bit different than you previously had? Also, I had my home wifi down and I was unaware for almost 2 days which caused a large spike in my data usage. check that hasn't happened you too

If you have an android, you can look at which apps have used the most data in your billing cycle to see where those mystery gigs are going. Search "data usage" in settings, then click "mobile data usage" assuming you have your data billing cycle set up on the correct date, this will show you a list of the apps using the most.

1000054256.jpg

 this is what mine looks like currently:

1000054257.jpg

 you can click on the apps individually and restrict background data if you like, but since you are still under your monthly limit that doesn't seem necessary. This should help you see why you have had a jump in useage!

szu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Cdnfenix36 

Maybe check your data usage history.  The data tracker is accurate.  Check your various apps.  

Have you been streaming more?  

Personally, I would not work, since you aren't using up the 50 GB anyways.....

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Cdnfenix36 

PM usage tracking is generally accurate. Are you using Android or iPhone? Can you use the phone's data tracking tool to go back and see which app used the data?

Need Help? Let's chat.