cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data running out each month on first day

heatherlynne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

For the past 2 months my data has run out a few hours after the plan refreshed. I got the 75% warning text from Public Mobile in the middle of the night while I was sleeping and not using my phone (and connected to wifi). The data usage on my phone says I have used only a tiny bit of data, and when I log in to public mobile it says I've only used 5 M out of 1G.

My plan also says suspended right now, even though it shows that I made the payment today (on auto-pay) and I can still make phone calls. Anyone know what could be going on and why PM isn't letting me use my data? 

17 REPLIES 17

heatherlynne

I don't use wifi assist, and most of the data used on my phone is through the apps I actually use. But I am going to go through and delete what I don't use - some of them did use a little bit of data even though I've never touched them

heatherlynne

Thank you! It definitely wasn't to do with the Christmas bonus, it's happened two months in a row (so last month I went almost the whole month with no data). I didn't have any bonus left on there

heatherlynne

Thank you! I will check a few times a day until it gets sorted. I checked the data usage by app on my phone, and there are some using a little on the background (which I will delete - some came with the phone and I've never even opened) but most is from Chrome and maps, which is what I actually use data for. Maybe I can become the kind of person who would remember to turn data off when I'm home!

heatherlynne

Thank you, this is helpful! I'm glad to know at least that my account wasn't actually suspended. As for the data, it's more than just an erroneous message. Last month it was followed a few days later with the text that I had used 100% of my data, and then I didn't have data for the rest of the month. I am expecting the same this month but can't say for sure. I've submitted a ticket to hopefully get it sorted.

@heatherlynne what phone do you have? IPhone or Android? will try to walk you through the steps on your device

heatherlynne

Thanks for the suggestion, but no data limiter. Public Mobile sends me the text that I've used 100% then I don't have data the rest of the month. 

@heatherlynne if you have an Android, you can track back and have your drive to confirm your usage.

If you have an iPhone, you cannot track back but you can reset the counter today and track forward 

heatherlynne

Yes, a few days later I get the text that I've used 100% of my data and then I don't have any for the rest of the month. I do know how to check my data usage, and as of this morning (after getting the text at 2:47am that I had used 75%) my phone said I had used 12M since yesterday. My plan refreshed at midnight. When I logged in it said that I had only used 5M, but PM sent the warning text. I'll submit a ticket shortly. Thank you!

heatherlynne

I get cut off a few days later, after getting the text that I've used 100%. I will submit a ticket once my kids are asleep

@heatherlynne   BTW,  have you set data limiter on your phone?  That might be a reason why your data would switch off too.

@heatherlynne you loss access to data couple days later, then you really have no more data access until the beginning if a new cycle?  

I think you should start tracking your data usage on your device, it is usually accurate.   Do you have iPhone or Android?  can advise you what to do.

@heatherlynne   You should still be able to use data if it's only at 75% warning.  Do you log into your account and see how much available data you have when you receive that warning?  If this seems to be happening regularly and you're getting cut off even though you have some available data left, then I'd ask customer support to take a look at your account.   You can submit a ticket via chatbot here:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help

Also try rebooting the phone and ensure that updates or some apps aren't consuming data too.

heatherlynne

I also lose access to data a few days after getting that 75% warning, then go the rest of the month unable to access data. So it may be erroneous but they're following through by cutting me off.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Turn OFF data to all apps that you don't use on a regular basis.

Make sure to disable wifi-assist.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@heatherlynne wrote:

My plan also says suspended right now, even though it shows that I made the payment today (on auto-pay) and I can still make phone calls. Anyone know what could be going on and why PM isn't letting me use my data? 

HI @heatherlynne   was the plan status showing Plan Expired or Suspended?

For the data issue, 75% text, please note that the 75% is based on ALL data you have in your My Data & Add-ons bucket.  If you have some Christmas bonus from before, the 75% would be based on all the data you have, not just the 1Gb you have for this cycle.   So, if you almost used up the other bonus, the math could still be above 75% even the new 1GB was added.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

How much data is left on your account after day or two after renewal?

Always check your account for data status as that is the most accurate counter.

If you keep your phone on all the time you could have data on by accident and pesky apps will take advantage of it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@heatherlynne- When the system processes your payment overnight, your account will say suspended for a few hours.  As long as your your phone is still working, there is nothing to worry about.  The status should be reset to normal in a few hours.  As for your data problem, I would rely on what you see on your account page on the website.  The warning text is likely erroneous.  You would need to get in touch with a PM rep to see if they can get that corrected.

Need Help? Let's chat.