cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Countless hours on forum for $1 -

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just wondering what it would take to be rewarded more then $1 by helping others on this forum.  I have given and received countless bravos and made many posts and responses to member questions but the highest reward ever awarded was $2.  I understand that a benefit is the selfless time spent helping others and also gives us something to occupy us during down times. Are perhaps, maximum rewards given for solutions and if so is there correlation as to number of points for solutions compared to bravos and post responses?

18 REPLIES 18

@HALIMACS wrote:

Entirely volume based and participation based.   If double the users are 'trying' in any given month, it'll take more effort/tine.   In months where the regulars are lying on a beach or climbing a mountain, way less effort.

This is true. If double the number of users are active in a given month then you need to put in double the effort to hold a Top%.

Some months are very busy, especially when outsiders are brought in with a compelling limited-time seasonal promo or gifts or something. Or when they come back a short while later, angry or confused because somehow they didn't buy what they expect. I've seen some months where you'd be three posts and six threads behind by the time you finished typing/reading a single post. Being Top50% in these frenzied times means you have to be "better" than many thousands or ten thousands of people who are all scrabbling for a piece and all being tallied by the secret community rewards formula.

Other months the place is a ghost town, only the most determined diehards can be seen skulking around in the wee hours, starving for posts to jump on to. Every piece of low-hanging fruit is devoured in seconds. Being Top10% in these tumbleweed barrens is almost assured if you bother to submit only one or two meaningful posts per week because you're "competing" with a pool of less than one hundred people.

You can control or predict all your other Reward categories. You can control how many hours your pour into the Community. But you can't really bank on how many other people will be active in a given month or how they will respond to your contributions. If you're trying to play for the very tippy top community reward slot(s) then it's basically an endless series of repeating the same answers to the same questions every chance you get checking the forum every hour or two ... to slowly build a steady statistical progression upwards. You may notice the players at the top right now, they're pretty quick and have a comprehensive knowledge of the basics.

Indeed @hTideGnow  -  was just a generalization.   Entirely volume based and participation based.   If double the users are 'trying' in any given month, it'll take more effort/tine.   In months where the regulars are lying on a beach or climbing a mountain, way less effort.

In the end, it should be comforting to anyone new here or needing help, that from coast to coast to coast to border, there'll always be someone ready at the keyboard helm to offer a reply.

😊

Hi @HALIMACS

I think your idea of $1 or $2 or $5 are generally correct.  But I think getting $1 is even easiler, I see my friend replies 5 or 10 posts like 2 days in a month and they get $1

For $10 or $15, it is more to depends on overall participation, sometimes is easier if lower participation from everyone or less questions on the community.  But months like December, so many non usual members come and ask about the bonus , lots of posts lots of replies ,  I think that month you have to "work" way harder to get to $10 or $15

@HALIMACS wrote:

So here’s a guess, @Tsawwassen 

Dedicate 10 - 15 minutes every day posting responses, and you’ll likely get $1.

15 - 30 minutes a day, maybe $2.

30 - 60 minutes a day, maybe $5

1 - 2 hours a day, maybe $10

2 - 3 hours a day, and you may get to $15.

I would say 20-23 hours a day = $15 as some members are Always first to reply.at any time of day.

I am not complaining but there is beautiful life outside of PM.

Nevertheless, EVERY reply is highly regarded and appreciated!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

So here’s a guess, @Tsawwassen 

Dedicate 10 - 15 minutes every day posting responses, and you’ll likely get $1.

15 - 30 minutes a day, maybe $2.

30 - 60 minutes a day, maybe $5

1 - 2 hours a day, maybe $10

2 - 3 hours a day, and you may get to $15.

I’m guessing the top performer in this forum spends at least 3 hours a day. That person could probably cut their time in half and still reach the top 1%. 

Now that’s dedication!

Personally, I’ve spent probably an hour or two a day over the month of April so far – so I’ll test my theory.  😉

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

This support model is genius actually. The rewards probably "cost" PM no more than a few hundred dollars a month, which probably saves a need for dozens of call centre agents. Which of course translates to low monthly rates, which is the whole model. I look at rewards as a nice little bonus; they're definitely not worth my time!

@Meow wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

My port was apparently stuck along with not eating all day, troubleshooting & getting help on here I became ill (not eating, stress, Fibromyalgia), & could no longer think! I can now understand new Customers coming on here posting panicked, angry, confused, hard to deal with & so on! I

All this could be avoided (for Many, many customers) is customers would care to spend few minutes (or longer) SEARCHING trough this forum. But NO, it is easier just to fire question, complain and expect miracle workers to resolve issues for them.

99% of posts are Repetitive. 99% of questions posted HAVE BEEN answered already. Just nobody wants to read. Not to mention that after issue has been resolved there is No feedback from those asking for help (solved? how?, etc.).

@Meow , yes but in my case I was going blind / crosseyed by searching through all the posts for answers & by the time I posted asking for help I had already read the information they wanted to share & tried all the troubleshooting posted that also had a fair amount of conflicting information! Plus I created a support ticket before posting for help in hope to learn something I haven’t tried! 

Edit: That was with 16 years of using different cell phones at the time with different companies! This was the 1st time I had these issues so I couldn’t figure out what I did wrong or what was wrong on their end!

Korth
Mayor / Maire

99% of posts are Repetitive. 99% of questions posted HAVE BEEN answered already.

It's that 1% that I thrive on.

I seem to somehow manage to fumble basic answers to basic questions which have been asked before - even when I offer links to previous solutions. And besides, I'm not as motivated as those who quickly swoop in with answers. I've scored Community Rewards at all levels before, the monetary payoff is actually worth less to me than a fistful of bravos from happy people.

But sometimes a rare question comes up that has never been asked before. And sometimes I can offer a useful answer to it when nobody else can. Esoteric disjointed obscure technical nerd trivia sometimes pulls ahead. I might be able to claim I'm an "expert" on fixing weird things which I have broken (and been forced to fix) before.

@LitlLdy wrote:

My port was apparently stuck along with not eating all day, troubleshooting & getting help on here I became ill (not eating, stress, Fibromyalgia), & could no longer think! I can now understand new Customers coming on here posting panicked, angry, confused, hard to deal with & so on! I

All this could be avoided (for Many, many customers) is customers would care to spend few minutes (or longer) SEARCHING trough this forum. But NO, it is easier just to fire question, complain and expect miracle workers to resolve issues for them.

99% of posts are Repetitive. 99% of questions posted HAVE BEEN answered already. Just nobody wants to read. Not to mention that after issue has been resolved there is No feedback from those asking for help (solved? how?, etc.).

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

This made me think of my very 1st post here “November 16th, 2019! For me it was a nightmare, not the help but my stress with not understanding what was wrong & how some of it worked when porting over! My port was apparently stuck along with not eating all day, troubleshooting & getting help on here I became ill (not eating, stress, Fibromyalgia), & could no longer think! I can now understand new Customers coming on here posting panicked, angry, confused, hard to deal with & so on! I wish I had of came back on to post a huge thank you to those that we’re trying to help me & understand me! I still see some of those same ones still helping here with patience! @popping was the 2nd response to my post that will be 4 years ago this year in November! Along with @Dunkman & @CalgaryBen ! I wonder what their status was back then when trying to help me?

So, even though helping gets some points… some Customers will never forget you for helping them, your patience & persistence in trying! Even when we’re grumpy & stressed! We just forget while going through it to say thank you sometimes, 💕 like I forgot!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Tsawwassen 

You probably get more by collecting cans and bottles.😉

You have to retire and spend all your time on this Community.😉

Korth
Mayor / Maire

You'll notice that members who consistent achieve the Top% community reward categories are also the ones who are consistently awarded solutions each month. So I think it's rather obvious that solutions carry a lot of weight.

You could earn bravos or give bravos or simply be online more minutes, I think these are all parameters in the secret formula, but many people have attempted to correlate patterns in these with little success. But one thing is certainly true: the more you participate in the community, the more community rewards you'll receive.

And you can never know what will give you a solution or a bravo. You can answer a question that's already been answered many times but somehow be rewarded because you worded it slightly differently. You can offer the proper solution to something and be ignore, or even see others repeat it and get rewarded for it. The crowd is fickle.

But if your main reason for being here is to earn more community reward then you'll probably be disappointed. The old joke around here is that you'd earn more money in less time by collecting bottles or doing a newspaper route.

@hycm53 wrote:

@LitlLdy Haha, same as me. Sometimes I am so bored to answer the issue, because it always repeat again, again. Indeed @softech is number one!

@hycm53 , exactly! I often see a lot of repeated responses to posts, just worded differently & unfortunately I am one of them due by the time I get done typing what I want to say in between the stupid popup I get (for “How was your experience”) while doing so there's already 3 responses by the time I submit 1 little sentence! If I was aloud to delete some of my responses on posts I would so I am not a repeat of what has been already said! 😊

@LitlLdy Haha, same as me. Sometimes I am so bored to answer the issue, because it always repeat again, again. Indeed @softech is number one!

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Tsawwassen 

Only PM knows what the secret formula is but you can bet there is a direct correlation between solutions and bravos received. Making posts w/o receiving any bravos/solutions in my opinion does not factor in to the rewards. I looked at your bravo count for this month and you will probably receive $1.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Tsawwassen wrote:

Just wondering what it would take to be rewarded more then $1 by helping others on this forum.  I have given and received countless bravos and made many posts and responses to member questions but the highest reward ever awarded was $2.  I understand that a benefit is the selfless time spent helping others and also gives us something to occupy us during down times. Are perhaps, maximum rewards given for solutions and if so is there correlation as to number of points for solutions compared to bravos and post responses?

@Tsawwassen , I would say spend every day on here all day using a fast device, quick thinking brain, fast typing hands, answering every post you can! Honestly I don’t know but I see some on here that seem to be on 24/7! My brain is slow in thinking & so are my hands (Fibromyalgia & high pain) so I’m out! I don’t even try. I help when I can & how I am able. I miss the old rewards & hate the new points system!

Sorry, I am no help but @softech if really good at it!

Edit: @Tsawwassen , There were no responses to your post when I began typing! 🤣

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Tsawwassen   many have try to figure out the PM secret, but honest, we don't know

So, I always say, the rewards is good, but do not come here for the reward, come here to help and learn.  

I thought I know phones a lot before I participate, but these couple years, I learned way more that I thought

So, don't look at the $1, enjoy the process

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Tsawwassen I think if can receive the solution by help someone, may get more reward. 

Need Help? Let's chat.