cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of Data

Koombassi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I very recently changed my 30 day plan from $25 to $15 plus Added 1gb data as a surplus. I feel the current cost for 1gb is quite reasonable. Here's my question to the Oracles and other Oracle-minded folks: Do you think the existing price will hold, or may likely increase in near future? If you predict an increase, maybe I should purchase more data now rather than later. 
Just a thought..

11 REPLIES 11

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous At least they lowered the rate thanks to @AE_Collector. Plus it pushes people to the 1 GB $15, instead of the lower $5 200 MB option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Yummy : Certainly compared to the rest of the world but:

Koodo = $30 for 1GB full LTE - non-expiring
Lucky = $15 for 2GB "3G" - many restrictions and doesn't stay on
Chatr = ?rates? - doesn't stay on
Virgin = $30 for 1GB - no mention of speed - doesn't stay on
Fido = $30 for 1GB - no mention of speed - doesn't stay on

I'll take the buy once, consume over time for $15 Alex. Koodo is also attractive but I'm here.

@softech wrote:

@Gooey-Girl   what?  they give you 380GB free.. and you still manage to use 120 GB overage?  What do you do on your phone?  

i think my total Wifi+Data consumption on the phone is less than 500GB per month

WOW. What do YOU do with your phone? 🤥

I doubt my home usage is that much...

What people do with their phones?! Everywhere I go Everybody stares into their phones. It cannot be off line games nor checking off line apps or following map.

Streaming movies, music, social net. Who knows...

@softech wrote:

As I said $15 for a GB is kind of unreasonable by itself.

It all depends what do you use so expensive data for...

If you are on the go and trade stocks, few clicks at the right moment might significantly increase your wealth.

But I definitely agree that $15/1GB of data is robbery!

@Gooey-Girl   what?  they give you 380GB free.. and you still manage to use 120 GB overage?  What do you do on your phone?  

i think my total Wifi+Data consumption on the phone is less than 500GB per month

.. but .. 500GB for $650, it's a lot  cheaper than PM Data add-ons.. it would have costed you $7500 here.. (but of course, it's pre-paid here.. you probably won't make this mistake)

Gooey-Girl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

received_1349467942100818.jpg

For some strange reason when I tried porting my number from Freedom to Roger's through a third party retailer this happened ...

I was issued a number that was already registered in another customers name

Due to a technical glitch 380GB of 5G data was part of my  service plan for 2 months.

YES!! 380GB!!

Even with this much available data I couldn't believe my usage was over 500GB therefore resulting in $650 in overages billed.

In the end it was great to gain extra data but not worth that expense.

😱📱💸

The 1GB data add-on was $30 until maybe 1 to 1.5 years ago when they cut the price in half.

I wouldn't expect an increase in price and wouldn't load up too much as maybe a plan change adds more included data you potentially might never have a use for the add-on data.

AE_Collector

Koombassi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech 
All good points to consider. Thanks @softech 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Koombassi  I have no magic ball.. and cannot really tell the future.. but if you ask me.. i think the price will hold. 

Although over all data price should drop if you look at price plan across different providers (you are now paying pretty much same price like 2 years ago for any plan $35+ from any providers but you have more data than 2 years ago), but PM has been holding the price very tight.   Honest,  I don't think $15 for 1GB is reasonable, but if they lower the 1GB price it will have effect on lower tier plan like $15 and $25, like more people from $25 might gone with $15 plan and just buy data add-on, I doubt they will make this move

Price increase for add-on is unlikely too.  As I said $15 for a GB is kind of unreasonable by itself.

Be careful if you want to stock up data add-on.  While they are non-expiring, if you ever leave PM and unable to used them all, they will be wasted.  You never know, you might have all the intention to stay but maybe one day there is just a  better deal out there.   Or you went on a trip and put then plan on hold and you missed the 90 days suspension.  

@Koombassi wrote:

I very recently changed my 30 day plan from $25 to $15 plus Added 1gb data as a surplus. I feel the current cost for 1gb is quite reasonable. Here's my question to the Oracles and other Oracle-minded folks: Do you think the existing price will hold, or may likely increase in near future? If you predict an increase, maybe I should purchase more data now rather than later. 
Just a thought..

Nothing can be predicted for sure, but over time, I expect the cost of data to drop because offering more usage to customers costs the carrier very little. Also, the competition is now offering much more data (and faster data) than before. I don't see the plan prices going down, but I believe that plans will start offering more at the current price points.  Unfortunately, anything that anyone says about the future is really only a guess.

Need Help? Let's chat.