cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compromised phone number?

JRuml
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I'm getting phone calls every 15 minutes or so from the US numbers (different states). Every time I pick up the person on the other side claims that I called them. Has anyone had issue like that before? 

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

@JRuml wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion, but I really don't want to change my number. 

You don't have to.

As mentioned above, this should be over in a relatively short time. At least until the next time your number is spoofed.

On my personal phone I am white listing people. I.e. the numbers of my friends and family are on my "prefered contacts" list. I then set my dialer settings to "do not desturb", with the setting that phone number on my starred list are excempt from the DND rule.

So any number that isn't on my white list will not ring and is routed to voice mail. If it's a legit call, say from a doctor's office, they will leave a voice mail to ask you to call them back. Most robocalls on the other hand will hang up after a certain amount of rings and not leave a voice mail (unfortunately not all, though).

JRuml
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for the suggestion, but I really don't want to change my number. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@JRuml 

sounds like a common practice called number spoofing...gogle it for further info.

If you're not too attached to your current phone number..it's easy to change your number.

number.png

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Your number is spoofed so just do not pick up calls from unknown numbers.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@JRuml it could simply be an issue about Caller ID Spoofing.   Scammer systems just randomly generated numbers, pretend to be real to fool others thinking a real person  call.  So, your number not really compromised.   I always say, like letterman, people can put anyone's address as return address and doesn't mean anything compromised 

advise is to just ignore those calls from numbers yii don't know.  It will die down eventually 

More info about Caller id spoofing 

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

Pop_Eye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Some one has spoofed your number. So YOUR number shows as their caller ID. Then you get the feedback. It can happen to any one and will last a week or so. Set up your phone to accept calls from your contacts list for awhile. You still may get voice mails...then in a week or so....resume back to normal.  

Need Help? Let's chat.