cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls to the US.

Clydethedog
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just enrolled in a plan that stated '⁺Whether in Canada or the US, this plan includes unlimited calling, text, picture and video and messaging to phone numbers within and between Canada and the US.' I just tried to make my first call to the US and PM said that would entail extra charges and my fund was exhausted. Can anyone explair this to me.

13 REPLIES 13

Clydethedog

I would like to hope this is not deliberate deception but simply sloppiness on their part. I found another place on their invoice with the $120 plan where it still said 'monthly' instead of 'quarterly'. That seemed to be due to not checking their work.

Another topic: I gave you a list of the US phone number prefixes that won't work. Have you come across this and is my list exhaustive? I'll ask the agent again when I report my US experience tomorrow but I thought you might be able to give me a heads-up on this. You seem to be more experienced with PM.

@Clydethedog That explains it then. Glad you got it sorted out.

There have been a couple posts from other users who signed up for a Canada/US plan that only had a 30 day option on the website, but when they went to process the change the system gave them an option for a 90 day version as well; but the 90 day version lacked US calling/sms/data just like you experienced. And it didn't actually have a discount, you just prepaid for 90 days instead of 30. All this is to say that what they're telling you makes sense.

Clydethedog

Here's the explanation of what'a happening right from the agent: "I checked and currently your account has the $120 ULCW(Unlimited Canda-Wide) Base Plan-225GB-5G. The promo plan is for 30 days and doesn't have a 90-day version. The only 90-day plan with 225 GB of Data at 5G speed is Canada-wide only." Nothing was said of the plan switch when it was offered at sign-up time. I thought they simply wanted a three-month payment for convenience. Not so! But in their defense, they switched me back to the one-month plan with the US access -- no problem.

As for calling, it's just the area code and number, no '1' in front of it. You do get a warning of long distance charges that you ignore.

So far, I've tried it Canada to the US. Wednesday, I go across the border and I'll try things there. I was warned there are some number combinations (area codes & exchanges) PM can't access: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726. I wonder if there's more listed somewhere.

Keep you updated ... Jim

Clydethedog

My sister in law is in the us. Also i have a voice over internet phone registered with a Niagara Falls NY number. Neither work. 

@Clydethedog Are you in the US now? Bring able to make phone calls is dependent on having a VoLTE compatible device. If you're in Canada this won't matter.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

Clydethedog

A CS agent confirmed it was in my plan and to put the 1 in front. That did not work. I am calling myself on a voit line from the US. It is in working order. It is late. It can wait until tomorrow. Thanks for responding.

@Clydethedog Oh yes. And you confirmed you're actually on that plan? That's really odd. You're making sure to put a 1 before the area code? And have you tried some other US numbers to confirm it's not an issue with the particular number you're trying to call?

Clydethedog

The plan (75GB) I am on is still advertising it. That was a major reason for picking that plan. What is anyone going to do with 75GB.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Are you sure you're in the Canada/US plan? It was only available until March 4th, and after that the same plan became Canada only.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Clydethedog 

as long as your call to the US completes successfully, you can just ignore that message. You won't be billed for anything more than the plan you currently have.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Clydethedog  you tried calling with a 1 in front of the 10 digits ? 

Another person had the same issue and need support agent to look into it and fix the account.  If you called without a 1 and no success, please submit a ticket with CS Agent using this Chatbot link:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html  Type the question "Submit ticket", Then click the following in order: "Contact Us" ,  "Other",  "Log In".  
If any issue with ticket submission, you can  submit by direct message:  
      https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437  

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Clydethedog 

If you just changed plans, it may take a bit for it to cycle through. Restarting your phone may help. To confirm you ARE on the this plan, please open the app and look at the subscription section.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

Can you reboot your phone and try again. 

Did you verify that the plan was changed successfully?

Need Help? Let's chat.