cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G vs 4G Speeds

Fast_J
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just switched to Public today. My 4G speed (120Mbps) is faster than with 5G (98Mbps)

Also not receiving verification texts during sign in. Only works with email.

16 REPLIES 16

BilltyLam

I have similarity experience, download speed is good can up to 200Mbps on some locations, but the download is really bad, only 17Mbps, means totally is not improvement between upgrade from 4G to 5G. 

HI @Fast_J 

Yes, Telus does not have best coverage in Winnipeg.  Usually for most part of Canada, Telus share network with Bell.   But in Winnipeg, Telus uses its own network only.  I think less towers and hence worst coverage or reception

Fast_J

Well I bought into a 5G plan that's slower than my previous 4G plan. Maybe good enough for some, not for me.

@Fast_J It can't be that bad if you're getting +/- 100Mbps. I get 5G plans can get higher than that, but that is plenty fast to do 99% of what most of us need to do on our mobile devices. That speed is even perfectly acceptable for hotspotting

Fast_J

The signal strength is bad at my location (10 minutes from downtown Winnipeg). Come to think about it l had a Telus plan about 6 years ago and had the same issue. I'll run with this plan for now and likely switch back to Roger's at some point. Coverage was much better. 

Fast_J

Text verification is now working. I didn't make any changes to facilitate it. 🤷🏽‍♂️

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Fast_J , with respect to your question about not receiving verification text, I suggest you check the eversafe settings on your account.  When in your account, go to profile and you will see the eversafe stuff there.  Make sure the phone number association is correct, update as needed.  

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

@Fast_J I too find that, in general, I get more consistent/faster results on the 4G network, even though I have a 5G plan. It's important to decouple the speed of the plan from the network itself, because all plans have access to all networks, and each of those networks is capable of higher speeds than what PM markets to us at the plan level.

This is a long shot as I'm an Apple guy. Wow. I don't believe a I said that out loud. Ugh.

How do I change network mode on s23 Ultra?
  1. Slide two fingers downwards starting from the top of the screen.
  2. Press Connections.
  3. Press Mobile networks.
  4. Press Network mode.
  5. Press the required network mode. There may be different network modes available depending on where you are. ...
  6. Press the Home key to return to the home screen.

If you can perhaps find and choose Public Mobile instead of leaving it on automatic, I wonder if that would work?

I know nothing about Android anymore. Been on iPhone since Google bricked my Google 1. 🙂

Fast_J

S23 Ultra

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Which phone are you using?

@Handy1 wrote:

@computergeek541  My point about great speeds for 4G plan considering they are advertised as up to 100mbs so anything more then what you pay for is great I think 

I understand you now.  I didn't read it that way in the OP's first post, but rather as both of those results from being after the change to the 5G plan. 

@computergeek541  My point about great speeds for 4G plan considering they are advertised as up to 100mbs so anything more then what you pay for is great I think 

@Handy1 wrote:

@Fast_J  That’s great 4G speed for here . But with 5G plan you should be doing better then that I just did  speed test today with PM 5G plan and got 258mbs  

I disagree that's good for LTE network speeds. The LTE network is capable of much faster than 120Mbps, so this would mean that network conditons are far from peak performance at that location.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Fast_J  That’s great 4G speed for here . But with 5G plan you should be doing better then that I just did  speed test today with PM 5G plan and got 258mbs  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Fast_J 

it is possible, that's why some phone like iPhone has 5G auto and won't use 5G all the time

Your login problem, login using Incognito/Private/Secret mode with your browser, go to Profile, Manage EverSafe id, does it show the correct phone number?

Need Help? Let's chat.