cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G not working after upgrade

PaulS67
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently upgraded to 5G from 3G.  I'm using Samsung S21 Ultra. I can only connect to 4G+ network. With the 3G I was able to connect to 4G+ network as well and the speeds were the same 80 down and 20 up. I checked all the settings and the phone seems to be configured correctly. I read bunch of articles here but didn't see any magic bullets to fix this problem. Can anyone help?

32 REPLIES 32

Marabount
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a dual SIM Samsung S21 Ultra 5G. Lost 5G connectivity after the update to Android 13. I figured out that 5G was by default enabled on SIM 1, but after the update it was switched to SIM 2. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@PaulS67 

for the best compatibility at PM make sure to purchase a Canadian version of the device. there are specific certificates on devices that allow the use of services/features 

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@PaulS67 

Try wiping your cache partition. If the upgrade to Android 13 caused the issue this may fix it. Otherwise upgrading to Samsung's One UI should fix the problem.

1. Turn off your device.
  2. Press and hold the volume down button simultaneously to boot up
  3. When you see the Android logo, make sure to release the keys.
  4. Highlight the “Wipe cache partition” option using the Volume down key
  5. Now, select the option using the Power key
  6. Press the Power key again to confirm your selection

The cache partition gets cleared as soon as you press the power button. Now select “Reboot system now,” and press the power button. 

As always back up your data just in case.

HI @PaulS67 

mystery solved!!

I was reading something, people blame on the issue after the upgrade to Android 13.  I think if you ever get another OS upgrade or a big upgrade to Android 14, test again , there might be good news

PaulS67

Yes

PaulS67

I think you managed to solve the problem. I did just now swap the SIM with another 5G phone. The outcome suggests that my phone is not connecting to 5G network even with other 5G SIM. The other person's phone connected to 5G with my SIM. This would indicate a problem with my phone or settings. After changing almost everything I can in settings I thing that this model is not compatible with 5G in Canada. Thank you for your support. Time for a new phone. 

@PaulS67 

and the 4G+ speed still 80Mbps?

PaulS67

Tried this just now. No change. Still 4G+

@PaulS67 

your seems to be an indian version

I am checking the spec, it has the 5G bands we need.  (n66, n78) 

you said Dual Sim? try put your sim card in the other slot and test again

PaulS67

Yes

HI @PaulS67 

this is not Canadaian version

is that a dual sim version? 

PaulS67

SM-G998BZKGSIN

@PaulS67   Is the model number SM-G998W?

PaulS67

That is the way I'm going to follow. I just need another SIM and this will be available by Monday. 

HI @PaulS67 

using a different sim on your phone could confirm if it is a device issue

put your sim in another phone can confirm if your account is properly setup, also, when a sim is put in another phone, it will first some kind of system refresh on the back end and that might help

If yours is a Canadian version S21 Ultra, it should work.  We notice Samsung S20 is one with problem on 5G, but S21 should be good

[incompatible device .....   Luddite]

PaulS67

The lower power mode is disabled. As for model I do not know if it is a Canadian model. I guess from previous comments it seems like switching SIMS should answer few questions.  

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@PaulS67   Is the phone a Canadian model, and do you have lower power mode disabled?

PaulS67

I would be able to try this tomorrow or Monday and get back to you

HI @PaulS67 just curious, can you try your PM sim in another phone and try other sim in your phone, check if the 5G works in both cases

PaulS67

I tried airplane mode with data on. 

When I make a phone call Mobile voice network type changes to UMTS and Mobile data network type changes to HSPA+

...with cell data on?
While you're in that screen, as an aside, look at mobile voice network type and make a call - does it change from LTE to UMTS or does it stay at LTE? While on the call.

PaulS67

Under SIM card status, mobile data network type is LTE. I tried airplane mode several times and also restarted the phone several times already

If your menu is similar to my Samsung, go to settings, about phone, status information, sim card status - look at the mobile data network type. Turn on cell data and see what it says. If it says something like NR USA then you're actually connected to the 5G network. Speed varies. Try going in and out of airplane mode. Try different areas.

PaulS67

I'm not getting 5G anywhere in the city. I'm not in a basement.

PaulS67

5G option is showing with LTE and others. Android version 13

@PaulS67  If phone is set to 5G do you happen to be in a basement apartment by any chance try outside see if it makes a difference . I know for me when I go to my basement my phone drops to 4G/3G 

PaulS67

The phone is set to receive 5G. Under Network Mode is set to 5G/LTE/3G/2G (auto connect) I can't do better setting there. And also phone is set to use 5G standalone networks. I tried with this ON and OFF. No change

PaulS67

I guess I should mention that I'm located in Edmonton and 5G is available at my location. Another person in my family is connecting to the 5G network 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@PaulS67 

so, does 5G option even showing?

you have the latest OS?

Which area you are at?

abtest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Handy1 wrote:

@PaulS67  You have to select 5G from your phones network settings . Also know that even in 4G /LTE you will still get better speeds then 100mbs of a 4G plan being on 5G plan with phone set to 4G/LTE do a speed test to confirm 

Speed test

https://www.speedtest.net/apps

Just be careful if using a speedtest app.  it can use a lot of data.

Need Help? Let's chat.