cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G network not regonized/ not registering

NateDog1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just switched to the PM 5G plan, but it does not show for my S20 FE 5G. I have looked at all the recent forums on this (the past 2 weeks) and seems like this is a common problem. Here is a screenshot of my service mode. it shows upperlayer R15 not supported. I also chatted with samsung support and they suggest gettting a new sim card. Anyone have any other ideas instead of doing some 100 step fix of downloading and transferring a bunch of files. Also to note. When i am at home i do get 250mbs download speeds, but as soon as i am out and about the highest i get is like 80. Pretty big difference and the whole time it says LTE+Screenshot_20230914_143351_Service mode RIL.jpg

42 REPLIES 42

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@NateDog1 

Where in Western Canada? If you give us your postal code or cross streets and town/city we can check the local towers in your area. 5G deployment is mostly in large urban centre's with a gradual upgrade of cell towers in smaller towns and rural areas. Even in large cities not all areas will have the ability to connect to the 5G network but you can get the higher data speeds on the 4G LTE network.

When testing data speed at home are you on mobile data or wifi? Keep in mind a speedtest at 250mb can easily use over 1gb data. Best to leave them for day 30/90 of your cycle if you have unused data that will go to waste.

NateDog1

i might have to do what mtbman posted and do a crap ton of dowloading and moving of files

@NateDog1  .yes and if you stick a Telus SIM card in it will show 5G there’s a work around please check the link at the bottom of this page . First reply to you 

HI @Chalupa_Batman yeah.. thanks

and @NateDog1  you are not alone , people are having hard tim eto get S20 to show 5G

NateDog1

i have tried this, but like i said in my post. When i am at home it is just at 250mbps, but says LTE. When i am anywhere outside my home like even down one block it is 80 or lower and still says LTE

Bigjay83

@NateDog1  On your phone under Networks check if you have 5g as your preferred network type. 

NateDog1

i am in western canada

@hTideGnow 

It says it right there in the first sentence. LOL

"I just switched to the PM 5G plan, but it does not show for my S20 FE 5G"

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

HI @NateDog1 

Try this. Go into your network settings, cellular and pick Public Mobile then reboot the phone. Then do a speed test. If it's around 1oo mbps then something's wrong. But if you're on LTE and getting over 200 mbps... then it's just fine.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @NateDog1 

what phone you have?

are you in Eastern Canada?  They have ongoing outage now

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@NateDog1  .yes please check out my thread for the work around here to have 5G show up 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-s20-5G/td-p/1043088

Need Help? Let's chat.