cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40GB Canada-US

FDizzle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just signed up to Public Mobile's 40 GB Canada US plan. This seems pretty obvious but I'm looking to confirm to ensure 100% accuracy

This allows us to use all 40 gigabytes, including unlimited talk and text anywhere in Canada and IN THE UNITED STATES, correct? 

Meaning you can roam all over the US and use your plan with no additional charges as it's included with your plan. 

Right? 

54 REPLIES 54

You can test that at home though. Turn off wifi and see what network you're on when you make a call.

Before VoLTE it would drop to 3G because we weren't setup to make calls on the 4G/LTE network. VoLTE fixes that, but it's not available on all devices. 

Edit: I don't see your phone on the PM VoLTE comparability list. It may be VoLTE, but PM hasn't added that phone to the approved list yet. So that's your problem with voice calls. You can try and drop down to 2G when you need to make calls.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

kittyroara
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Well I'm not in the US anymore and only go over once a month so I can't test it any time soon.

I'm pretty sure it stayed in LTE the whole time, since I had the call on speakerphone and probably would've noticed the icon change, but perhaps not.

If the only service available is LTE, why would it drop to 3G? I have a Huawei P20 so I would think it's voLTE capable?

But the important part is whether it stayed on LTE when you made a phone call. Up until recently (when PM implemented VoLTE) it would drop to 3G, which wouldn't work in the US. But in February PM started the VoLTE upgrade, which means we can now make calls in the US on the LTE network. But if your device isn't setup for VoLTE you'll have issues. 

kittyroara

My phone was in LTE the whole time.

@kittyroara do you have VoLTE? To test this make sure you're in 4G or 5G, then turn wifi off, make a call, and see if your phone stays in 4/5G or if it drops to 3G. If it drops to 3G you may not have VoLTE, which will cause problems in the US because they no longer have a 3G network. 

kittyroara

Did you have any trouble with making calls or accessing data on the plan?

I went to the US today and switched to the same plan this morning before heading out, and found that I could access data for things like maps and web browsing, but could not make local US phone calls from within the US.

Had anyone else had that problem??

_TheGuardian_

I was wondering the same thing... It does not say in my account either

I set mine to change to that plan at renewal, and the pending change is also generic. I wouldn't worry about. Just take screenshots of the actual plan advertised in case you ever need it. PM is notorious for mis stating the details of their plans. 

Screenshot_20230717-131435.png

@retrocactus- A test that might show volte is to turn off wifi and then make or take a call and see what icons show up in the top status bar. If LTE shows then you're on volte. Another more Apple-familiar person might have better info. I also think that the setting under settings, mobile data, mobile data options, voice & data - set that to 4G. Does a volte toggle show?

@retrocactus   don't switch to 3G , US does not use 3G.  with 3G selected, you might not even get data.  So, leave it with 4G  or LTE

If voice does not work, you have to manually switch down to 2G

However, with VoLTE not showing, it could be just Telus hiding the option, but already enabled on your phone

Are you using iPhone or Pixel? if so, what exact model?

retrocactus

It does indeed show plan's full name in my payment history download. Thanks for that tip!

I don't see a VOLTE option under my PM e-SIM....but have it on other e-SIMs (Mint Mobile for example). Looks like I can only switch down to 3G with PM.

I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max and was previously on TELUS before getting this plan if that helps/matters.

Oh right, you might see that description in your payment history. Although it might also get truncated. You can see the full length if your download the payment history file.

Leave your networks on automatic and stay on LTE and turn on roaming data. Do you know if your phone has been enabled for volte? Or do you know if you can manually switch down to 2G GSM in your phone? These affect talk.

retrocactus

Apparently I have the right plan as it was confirmed by support...although the account doesn't say it, they confirmed I'm on the "$50 UL CAN-US Base Plan-40GB-4G".

I'll be testing the roaming option this week...will report back if there is any problem...sorry to the OP for tagging along.

@retrocactus wrote:

I've tried a few different browsers/devices now and it's still the same...I'll contact support as suggested.

This is what my details show:

@retrocactus  thanks for posting the plan details.

Yup, not good it is not showing the US part, better to get a confirmation from Support  🙂

Public Mobile and their infinite wisdom. lol I guess you'll just have to go across the line and try it out and see what happens.

retrocactus

I've tried a few different browsers/devices now and it's still the same...I'll contact support as suggested.

This is what my details show:

pm-sub.jpg

@retrocactus 

Just in case there is browser cache problem, please login My Account again using Incognito mode and check overview tab again, check the data description and see if it shows any hint about US

If not, go to the Subscriptions & Add-ons page ( https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/my-plan-add-on ) check the Current Subscription plan details and see what it says

if still not clear or in doubt, please message support here:

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

But if it shows clearly on the plan details, please also post us a screenshot so we know how it looks like.  thanks

retrocactus

Should "Subscriptions" show that I'm on the CAN/US $50/mn account? Nowhere in my account (app or website) does it show that US roaming is part of my plan, despite signing up for that subscription a few days ago.

@FDizzle wrote:

I wondered who their roaming partner was in the US. Thanks for the clarification and confirmation

@FDizzle 

Used to be both AT&T and T-Mobile.  But since around 1.5 year ago, only T-Mobile is the roaming partner.  The only drawback without AT&T is that the lack or roaming in Alaska, other than that, it is pretty much same

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

ShawnC13_0-1689614844856.png

ShawnC13_1-1689614936234.png

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

FDizzle

I wondered who their roaming partner was in the US. Thanks for the clarification and confirmation

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@FDizzle  Yes you got it all 40GB  talk text here or the US . No gimmicks 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @FDizzle 

That is what the plan is for.    Please report back if any problem  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@FDizzle   yes, you are right.  Some snowbird plans has a maximum data allowance when roaming, we don't see it here, not yet.  

FYI, all over the US, not include Alaska as PM's roaming partner T-Mobile does not have its own network in Alaska

and remember, you still have to connect to TMobile and enable Mobile roaming data on your phone to access the data in US.

Enjoy

Need Help? Let's chat.