cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Data extremely slow - cell tower maintenance?

jchow2630
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

I've recently converted over to Public Mobile for about 6 months now. At first, 5G data here in Vancouver was great. It was fast, but at random times, there were spotty to no signals at all, and this was at a local community centre. 

Recently, as of yesterday, internet data was readily available in the morning up until 10am, then all of a sudden, the internet speed dropped to literally 0 mbps. Cell phone was showing 5G - Full bars - internet speed check was constant 0 - couldn't connect to a server. 

I asked my other colleagues who are also on public mobile, and they experienced the same thing. We restarted our phones, turned airplane mode on and off, changed frequency to LTE, yet to no avail. No internet, at least very very weak data. 

It went on like this until at least 9pm in the evening. Thinking this was maybe a one off situation, today, exact same thing happened.

Morning data no problem. Once noon hits, data drops dead no matter where we are. YVR airport, Richmond, Vancouver you name it. Calling and Text msgs go through without a hitch (thank god). 

Is there someone from Public Mobile Customer Service that could help out in this situation? or at least explain what could be happening? I'm on the $34 / 50gb CAN/US plan, and I never go over 40GB per month, so it's not a GB issue. 

Your reply is greatly appreciated. 

16 REPLIES 16

HI @coolman1978 

are you in Vancouver area as well?

Try reboot the phone every 30 mins until you see the service back up and running well

coolman1978

I just noticed this issue today (Oct 11), probably b/c i was mainly using wifi yesterday.  Do we need to do anything or just hope the service get back to normal?  I'm ok their $15 3g plan..my mom's phone also the same issue.. 

AbsoluteZero

I'm also having the same problem since yesterday on the 4G 50gb plan so data is not an issue. The issue persists regardless of signal strength and I have tried resetting network settings and power cycling my phone. I live in Vancouver also so I am guessing its some sort of outage.

@elias_acab wrote:

Slow as in the speed test page can't even load. Just started happening yesterday. I also get the exclamation mark next to the signal icon when on LTE.

Same issue right now. Nothing is loading for me. I was out of town yesterday, so not sure if that happened to all yesterday as well. 

elias_acab

Slow as in the speed test page can't even load. Just started happening yesterday. I also get the exclamation mark next to the signal icon when on LTE.

1000008219.png

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

I've been with Telus and/or Public Mobile for 25 years, and it's never been as bad as it's been in the past year. I spend a lot of time on Wi-Fi thankfully, but when I am connected to 4G/5G I find the connection must less consistent than my Rogers work phone. I'm currently with Telus and my wife is with Public Mobile, and both are equally unstable. It's particularly bad at work in the Whalley area of Surrey, which is a very populated area.

I'm seriously considering moving to Rogers next year.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Clearly, it seems to be an outage as multiple people reported the same. But Telus outage page is not reporting anything. How can they not tell that massive amount of users just fell off the network?

CSee

I've been experiencing the exact same issues. YVR airport area everything is pretty much shut down. You'll get zero data. Phone calls will go through but sound very choppy. Tried the whole network reset, phone restarts, 3g, Lte, 5g. Same issues. Just been lucky to find WiFi to send this. Reminds of being back in the mid 2000's. Lol

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Anddd it went down again. Too many constructions these days, too hard to tell what is causing the outage. I wish we can easily report or find out what is going on. 

HI @NDesai @jchow2630 

then it must be an area outage, but Telus site didn't say anything
https://www.telus.com/en/bc/outages

@jchow2630 , with data starts working for @NDesai just now, try to reboot your phone now and test

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Interesting! I just lost Data connection around noon outside of Vancouver. It literally just started working. I also briefly lost Telus home internet connection. I am wondering if they are doing some unannounced maintenance. 

jchow2630

Currently using Samsung S24+ , 3G also not working. Same issue with colleagues, same plan and same phone. I'll submit a ticket to CS agent as well. 

Thank you

HI @jchow2630 

what phone you have?  voice work? try 3G as well

and if speed is 0 , that means it is not working at all. There is no active outage alert from Telus, so, it could be just an account problem.

another test is to text your sim on another phone

and last, ask support to refresh your account

please submit a ticket with CS Agent using this Chatbot link:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html  Type the question "Submit ticket", Then click the following in order: "Contact Us" ,  "Other",  "Log In".  
If any issue with ticket submission, you can  submit by direct message:  
      https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

jchow2630

I tried two different speed tests, and both yielded with 0 mbps, couldn't connect to provider or server error.

Was on 5G, tried LTE manually, tried resetting all networks. Still no go sadly. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @jchow2630  and @elias_acab 

how slow is slow? did you try a speed test?

also, are you using 4G or 5G? try both , manual change the network mode

and try Reset All networks

elias_acab

Came here looking for answers too. Lost data connection yesterday during the day and it still very bad, it's either extremely slow or doesn't connect at all. I have one of the 4G plans.

Need Help? Let's chat.