cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 GB of data disappear in 5mins while phone in pocket.

donohoea
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Over the span of 5 minutes my 1GB of data got used up while my phone was sitting in my pocket in the middle of my massage. I don't think I actually was using data. Would love to get it back.

10 REPLIES 10

@donohoea 

It is important to note a few points with data usage. The daily usage updates data in two 12 hour blocks. So your data usage was 993mb in the previous 12 hours with approximately 250mb occuring in your massage appointment. Were you using your using your iPhone in the waiting room or your vehicle prior to your appointment?

Since you don't track your data usage in your phone do you employ or enable any of the data saving tools in your iPhone? Did you browse thru an app that plays video content? Recently download one?

Did you close and/or sign out of the app? Or just minimize it? What model iPhone do you have? When and which software update do you have? 

These are all factors in data usage with any app with video content that has not adjusted in its own settings along with each apps settings on your iPhone will default to the highest quality thus using maximum data. Auto loading apps like instagram and snapchat will use tremendous amounts of background data and more so if not closed correctly or completely signed out. Their average hourly usage is 1GB.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/apps-that-use-the-most-data/

Alternatively you can look for "Uninstalled Apps" in your phone if you recently installed an iOS 13 or updated it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/03/14/apple-ios-13-iphone-cellular-data-problem-iphone...

@donohoea 

The PM data tracker is usually accurate.  Looks like one of your apps might have updated itself.   Something used up that data quickly.  

donohoea
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In the space of less than 5 min with phone in the pocket I got 3 texts from public mobile, 75% data used, 95% data used, 100% data used. Usage from my account:

06/07/2021 1:44Web     903.937 MBMB$0.00
06/07/2021 8:44Web     0.087 MBMB$0.00

I think it's unlikely any of my apps used 903 MB of 'background' data in five minutes. Have and IPhone unfortunately haven't reset data usage stats in many months.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@donohoea 

What are the symptoms? IE: How do you know it was used then?

Does cell data no longer work on the phone?

Calling and Texting still work?

Did you get a couple of text messages advising you of 75% used and 95% used?

I ask because with PM having 30 day plans, many don't get their phone data usage indicator set up properly (and some cant be set to 30 days rather than monthly) so if you are going by that, it may not be giving you proper info. First thing to confirm is that the data IS gone and doesn’t work on the phone.

AE_Collector

Please note that Usage History on My Account might not updated yet. There are couple hours delay, I think.  So, if the 1GB just gone, it might or might not appear there yet.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@donohoea did you check your Data Usage in Self-Service account? It shows you used 1Gb?

Another Android app/widgets add to the list:  Data Witness PM,  Data Counter Widget

Data Witness PM is an unofficial app developed by some PM members to track PM's 30 days cycle

Data Counter Widget - you can change it to 30 days cycle as well.  Also you can track App Data usage easily so can you can who "eats up" all the data.

I doubt you will get your 1GB back as then everybody will use data and ask for refund...

If you have Android, it has native data usage tracking. Even better if you install 3rd party app (like 3G Watchdog) as it has very detailed breakdown who is using what (data vs. WiFi per app).

Some apps are notorious to constantly interact with Internet. Keep your data off unless you need to use it.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

do you have an Android?

Some Android phone, you can change the Mobile Data start date to today and see the usage since.   If you can change to to today as the start date, see if it also shows you used 1GB.  Also, it should show you the App Usage, then you can confirm which app stolen the data

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@donohoea wrote:

Over the span of 5 minutes my 1GB of data got used up while my phone was sitting in my pocket in the middle of my massage. I don't think I actually was using data. Would love to get it back.

Confirm your data is used up by logging into self service and looking under My Data & Add-Ons. If it is not there it has been used up. Make sure your apps are not using data in the background on your phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.