cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM now available for new & existing subscribers!

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

We are excited to announce that starting today, we’re introducing eSIM availability to both new and existing subscribers, along with the rollout of multiple enhancements in My Account. We’ve noticed many of your posts expressing interest about eSIM, and wanted to share how you can easily switch to eSIM. By switching to eSIM, you’ll gain the freedom to be more flexible with your services, whether it’s for travel or efficiently managing both personal and business accounts on a single device!

We made it easy to purchase SIMs at any time, you can purchase an eSIM or SIM Card directly from the app and My Account. 

Before you get started

• If you purchase an eSIM, you must do it with the device you want to install it on.
  • You can only install your new eSIM through the app. 

How to transition from a SIM card to an eSIM

1. Download and install the Public Mobile app on your device
  2. Open the app and select one of the the following locations: 
     - Subscription & add ons
     - Empty cart 
     - Lost/stolen banner
  3. Select ‘Purchase SIM’ and select the SIM type of your choice
  4. Select ‘Pay & Install’ and complete the payment. Your eSIM will be installed and your current SIM card number will be automatically replaced with the eSIM number
  5. Remember, once the eSIM is installed, it cannot be transferred to another device
  6. You can remove your SIM card. It is no longer necessary to access Public Mobile services after the eSIM is activated

How to Purchase an eSIM or Physical SIM

For New Customers:

1. During the activation process, you can choose either an eSIM or a Physical Sim Card 
  2. SIM cards can also be purchased through our website at pm.ca
  3. Additionally, SIM cards are available for pick-up at our stores here

For Existing Customers:

1. Visit the Subscription & Add-ons page in your account to purchase either an eSIM or SIM card.
  2. You can also buy a physical SIM through our website at pm.ca
  3. Additionally, SIM cards are available for pick-up at our stores here

The Public Mobile Team

146 REPLIES 146

win2018
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It’s so cool. It works great 

@CEnberg  Yes you can go back to physical sim in that case . You can now also request a new eSIM for $5 also so you have two choices .

SIM  SWAPPING  profile tabs

Handy1_0-1692212402257.png

Note only do this on lap top or computer/ not mobile device

@CEnberg- Yes of course. It's just like changing the sim on the account, because it is. It would kill the esim just like a regular sim.

CEnberg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just wondering is it possible to go from esim to regular sim if something happened to my device? New subscriber and love the esim implementation but just curious.

EricRumi

Can I keep my old number when changing to esim.

Friendly_joe

Well I think this is great. Esims make a lot of sense especially with a prepaid service.

Lroberts

How many esims can I purchase through my one account? Example, separate business and personal numbers… any discount for multiple lines??

@thierry_551  Yes your understanding correctly. Better yet just keep the physical SIM card until there’s no choice to use it any more and you’re forced to use eSIM . I think physical sim better anyways bat least for me who like to change devices often 

Yzeguy

I would wait until you get the new phone. No sense in paying for it twice. Apple has an ESIM transfer process (doesn’t work with PM yet). Here’s hoping it’s available sooner than later so that we don’t have to pay every time we get a new phone. 

thierry_551

So if I understand, I better wait before converting my SIM card to an eSIM on my current device. I’ll convert it at the same time I change phone and pay only 1 transfer.

HI @thierry_551 

each transfer will cast your an eSIM

So, you need to pay $5 for an esim change from physical to your phone

When you get a new iPhone later, you need to pay another $5 for a new eSIM

thierry_551

If I transfer my SIM card to an eSIM on my current phone, am I going to be able to transfer my eSIM to my new phone (iPhone 15 in occurrence that will release this September)? And will I have to pay for a “new” eSIM during the old phone to new phone transfer ?

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It definitely confirms that theory! 

Community_QA_
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Great news @J_PM 

Peronally I don't like eSIM and I don't need it, but always good to have the choice there

and Look like iPhone will have eSIM only in Canada very soon, so PM is making sure it is on top of the game. Great move

@Priority Let me check on this for you. 

@LitlLdy  Thanks for testing and sharing your findings

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

@Yzeguy not at this time. However, we've shared this feedback with our teams - and transfer capability is on our radar 👨‍💻

@Justeena appreciate the feedback. The team has captured this 👩‍🔧

@ByetheSea 

Changing plan would not affect your current rewards on the loyalty discount program. So, if you are receiving $7 reward dscount now, you will still have the same after a plan change

ByetheSea

Thanks for this....a question... With my existing 3G service ($25/m) I receive $7 discount in Loyalty Pts...if I upgrade service to 4G or 5G (and eSim in the process) will I retain my current reward discount??  Thxs for reply in advance. 

@Priority ,

Public Mobile doesn’t do the below but it would be nice! 

Use eSIM Quick Transfer on iPhone

Some carriers support eSIM transfers from your previous iPhone to your new iPhone without needing to contact them. You can also convert your current physical SIM card to an eSIM.

Edit: eSIM is new here along with several other things since May! Things take time to improve & fix the bugs 🙂

Priority

It's like this for every provider, other providers don't transfer it they just do a new one for Free. 

The e-SIM is tied to your IMEI Number and cannot be taken over to another device with a different IMEI, you must get a new e-SIM with every provider. 

@ll9111  It’s a $ grab . Will cost you extra $5 to upgrade your phone each year 

ll9111

If existing subscriber has to purchase esim, it should be transferable like physical sim. Seems not fair to pay for the sim that is locked to one device only.

Priority

Guide to Purchase & Install an E-SIM for Existing Public Mobile Accounts.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Buy-e-SIM-Guide/m-p/1033580#M721214

@Typhon It is just a personal choice

Some people got a new phone and it could  be an eSIM only phone. 

Some people has 2 accounts but most phones has only 1 physical sim slot, an eSIM can help to have both setup on the phones and allow the person to use both SIMs at the same time 

Also, some people like the fact that phones can store 4 to 6 eSIM profiles and people can switch on the fly. Best for people who travel a lot

Typhon
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Glad  that now existing accounts have this option. I understand the advantage when setting up a new account because it eliminates the need to go and purchase a hard sim. However what would be the advantage for an existing hard sim account to switch to e-sim?

Priority

Glad I am not the only one. 

Justeena

I agree with you 100%

Need Help? Let's chat.