cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM now available for new & existing subscribers!

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

We are excited to announce that starting today, we’re introducing eSIM availability to both new and existing subscribers, along with the rollout of multiple enhancements in My Account. We’ve noticed many of your posts expressing interest about eSIM, and wanted to share how you can easily switch to eSIM. By switching to eSIM, you’ll gain the freedom to be more flexible with your services, whether it’s for travel or efficiently managing both personal and business accounts on a single device!

We made it easy to purchase SIMs at any time, you can purchase an eSIM or SIM Card directly from the app and My Account. 

Before you get started

• If you purchase an eSIM, you must do it with the device you want to install it on.
  • You can only install your new eSIM through the app. 

How to transition from a SIM card to an eSIM

1. Download and install the Public Mobile app on your device
  2. Open the app and select one of the the following locations: 
     - Subscription & add ons
     - Empty cart 
     - Lost/stolen banner
  3. Select ‘Purchase SIM’ and select the SIM type of your choice
  4. Select ‘Pay & Install’ and complete the payment. Your eSIM will be installed and your current SIM card number will be automatically replaced with the eSIM number
  5. Remember, once the eSIM is installed, it cannot be transferred to another device
  6. You can remove your SIM card. It is no longer necessary to access Public Mobile services after the eSIM is activated

How to Purchase an eSIM or Physical SIM

For New Customers:

1. During the activation process, you can choose either an eSIM or a Physical Sim Card 
  2. SIM cards can also be purchased through our website at pm.ca
  3. Additionally, SIM cards are available for pick-up at our stores here

For Existing Customers:

1. Visit the Subscription & Add-ons page in your account to purchase either an eSIM or SIM card.
  2. You can also buy a physical SIM through our website at pm.ca
  3. Additionally, SIM cards are available for pick-up at our stores here

The Public Mobile Team

146 REPLIES 146

Proxima
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I agree it’s structured so poorly.. 

All new activations should be charged and then one free eSIm if you lose your phone, or somehow you delete your eSIM, or if you have to switch phones..  every other eSIM should be free

right now they’re having a promotion for free eSsim but I think  they should give the current clients that deal to.

@Yzeguy wrote:

So I have a question (haven't used ESIM before). If I swap to ESIM and buy a new device... can I transfer my service to the new device or am I SOL?

@Yzeguy 

At the present time, you will need to purchase another eSIM for the new device and then transfer service.  However, that might change in the future as Public mobile improves eSIM function.  

Justeena
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is a great, however I don’t like that you have to pay for a new esim if you get a new device. At least with the physical sim you can transfer it to another phone at no cost. Unfortunately new phones will most likely not even have the ability to use a physical sim. So people are going to be forced to pay for a new esim every time they upgrade their phone 🤷🏽‍♀️

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Awesome I swapped over, it was quick and painless, thanks!

Proxima

finally that’s good news, I prefer eSIM anyway, it’s better security in case if your phone gets lost or stolen, nobody can take the sim out and put it in another phone (to use 2 factor authentication to log into your financial accounts, social media, and even your phone provider website).. nor can they take it out to disable Find My Device iPhone

Yzeguy

So I have a question (haven't used ESIM before). If I swap to ESIM and buy a new device... can I transfer my service to the new device or am I SOL?

Priority

If your Account is currently on e-SIM and you need to change devices, you are able to buy another e-SIM on the new device and it will deactivate the Previous e-SIM. 

It can't be transferred for free since it's tied to your IMEI2, at least you can get it back for $5 if you happen to remove it or change phones.

statusquo

Yes @aip0401  you will need to pay again for the new esim according to what handy1 said in his post so won't be able to recover the old esim settings which is another reason why a physical sim seems like a better option to me.

aip0401
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What's the process for transferring an e-SIM to another phone (like say, when you're upgrading)?  Is there a cost asssociated with that?

Also, what happens if, heaven forbid, you accidentally delete your e-SIM?  What's the process for recovering?

statusquo

Thank you @Handy1 as that answers my question about a compatible phone being needed and yes I prefer the physical sim myself too.

@statusquo  Yes a phone needs to be eSIM compatible . But if you lost phone or wanted to upgrade phone with eSIM you just have to request a new one for a fee . But I do prefer physical sim myself 

statusquo

This is a very interesting introduction from public except I don't know too much about esims other than that it's not a physical sim which can be easily moved to another phone if needed and esim doesn't permit that but it does seem like a convenient option for travel as it would free up space for a physical travel data sim to be used on the same phone I assume.   I'm also assuming this option is only available for newer phones that are esim compatible?

I also don't like the idea that the physical sim is deactivated once an esim is installed as it would be nice to keep as a back up just in case another phone needed to be used.

huifenCai

the problem is I can not login to my account now, my old sim card came from china and I suspend it after I arrived on Canada, but the Eversafe sent 6-digits to my phone to confirm my login , so it not works. please send the 6-digits to my e-mail address:  huifencai28@gmail.com in order I can login to my account of public Mobile.

@smadgal1 wrote:

OK, problem solved! CS_Agent said that my physical SIM card "was not usable", and so sent me a QR code for a new eSIM. The new eSIM worked immediately. Thanks to everyone (@Handy1 , @LitlLdy@Priority) that helped me resolve this issue.

@smadgal1 , awesome 👏🏻 thank you for updating Us! 😁

smadgal1

OK, problem solved! CS_Agent said that my physical SIM card "was not usable", and so sent me a QR code for a new eSIM. The new eSIM worked immediately. Thanks to everyone (@Handy1 , @LitlLdy@Priority) that helped me resolve this issue.

@smadgal1 wrote:

Yes, thank you. I have asked CS_Agent to help with this. On the 1st attempt, I got an error saying that just said to try again later. When I tried later, I got an error that the eSIM activation failed. When I rebooted my iPhone, I realized that the physical SIM was deactivated. My iPhone is definitely eSIM compatible, so I don't know what happened. FYI, my physical SIM is more than 5 years old - does that even matter?

@smadgal1 , please update Us on what the CS_Agent says about your eSIM to get it to work for you.

Edit: @smadgal1 , you can create your own post about this to keep Us updated if you like & others can reply there.

@smadgal1  The age of your physical SIM card should not matter at all 

smadgal1

Yes, thank you. I have asked CS_Agent to help with this. On the 1st attempt, I got an error saying that just said to try again later. When I tried later, I got an error that the eSIM activation failed. When I rebooted my iPhone, I realized that the physical SIM was deactivated. My iPhone is definitely eSIM compatible, so I don't know what happened. FYI, my physical SIM is more than 5 years old - does that even matter?

@smadgal1 wrote:

Thank you for that link. I did ask for the amount to be refunded.

Also, I just noticed my physical SIM has been deactivated. Maybe I should have waited a while before jumping on the eSIM bandwagon... 

@smadgal1 , I don’t know what went wrong! Sorry 😞 

Did you ask the CS_Agent for help in fixing it to make your eSIM work? Have you rebooted your iPhone?

smadgal1

Thank you for that link. I did ask for the amount to be refunded.

Also, I just noticed my physical SIM has been deactivated. Maybe I should have waited a while before jumping on the eSIM bandwagon... 

@smadgal1  

private message   To CS_Agents click          

VVVVV      Link below    VVVVV

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

smadgal1

Thanks for sending the link - I was able to purchase the eSIM, but I got an error saying I need to try again later. I tried again in a few minutes and this time, I got an error that the eSIM install failed. Now I don't have an eSIM and I have been charged $5.65 twice. Can you or someone please direct me as to how I can get a refund? Thank you in advance.

Pthuruthy1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi JRod, I did not receive email with QE code on my registered email ac. Instead the paid amount shows up as credit on my Public account, thanks

@smadgal1 wrote:

That would be great - thank you!

I don't see the option to purchase an eSIM on the Public Mobile app on my iPhone. The only addons I see are for US roaming, data and minutes.

@smadgal1 , on the Public Mobile app on my iPhone 

For Existing Customers:

1. ‘Subscription & Add-ons’ page in your account to purchase an eSIM. I scrolled down & selected “Shop SIM CARD NOW” then under “SELECT SIM CARD TYPE” I selected “eSIM” then select “PAY NOW”, I purchased the eSIM using my available balance. 
  2. Please keep in mind to be patient when installing it, it takes time. After it says it installed successfully reboot your iPhone. With your iPhone turned off remove your SIM Card from your iPhone.

Edit: I received an email right away notifying me that my SIM Card was changed!

Priority

I will make one shortly! It's tucked away in the 'Shop SIM Card' Section. In the meantime anyone who follows this link can find it directly as well:

https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/purchase-sim

smadgal1

That would be great - thank you!

I don't see the option to purchase an eSIM on the Public Mobile app on my iPhone. The only addons I see are for US roaming, data and minutes.

JRod

Did you get a welcome email? The QR code for your eSIM will be in a welcome email you should have received. From there you can go in the cellular settings of your phone to start adding your eSIM. You should have an option to scan the QR code so have that up on a separate device.

@Pthuruthy1  Check your welcome email on computer the QR code should be there and scan it with your phone and install it 

Pthuruthy1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I paid for an eSim but I did not get to download the eSim. Instead the amount was credited to my account. How do I proceed to download eSim in this case?

Priority

Anyone want full walk-through post of how to buy & switch to e-SIM for existing Accounts? 

I can make one similar to my e-SIM Activation Thread if anyone wants. 

Need Help? Let's chat.