cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: UPDATED: Public Mobile response to COVID-19

Good job, Public mobile.  

This will be helpful for anybody traveling or stuck in the United states.  

What about some discount on the Canada data add ons? 

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for helping to keep all safe from  the spread of this virus.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wi-Fi calling is the minimum that they can do. Are they gonna lose thousands of subscribers from Telus and Koodo to public Mobile? No, not with the network of 3G. It is a SAFETY issue!!!

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wifi calling a safety issue? Pfft.

Install google hangouts dialer or textnow apps if you really want wifi calling...

Edit: or a landline if a reliable phone line is paramount.

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This offer to PM customers is actually almost useless and its makes me very upset about PM response during this very difficult time for the following reasons:

- They are only refunding customers the US roaming charges.  This does nothing to help people who do not have the money to pay the extra fee because of a loss of work like our selves.  It helps really no one!

- What about all the PM customers who live in Canada and do not have unlimited calling plans because of their income like us.  When working we could only afford the 100min calling plan. Normally this is more than enough for us, but because of getting laid off of work and having to call the Banks, Ei, power company etc. our minutes were used up immediately from being on hold.

PM should be offering minimum unlimited calling Canada wide for low income people who could not afford the unlimited plan in the first place, so they can call family and be able to stay on hold while calling for services and companies.  This inaction speaks volumes about the company who is owned by Telus and who makes millions every year primarily by having a monopoly for decades like Bell and Rogers.  

This is a company who has shown its true colors in a time when people really need help.  We cannot do business with a company like this and will be looking for a new provider as soon as is possible. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

If you have the $$... get the $5 / 500 minutes of calling add-on to your current plan. Those minutes don't expire at normal renewal, but will roll over until you use the entire 500 minutes.

You might be able to make good use of a free voip app such as TextNow. You get a free Cdn phone number and you can call / text for free as long as you have a wifi signal. There are other voip apps but I've used TextNow and works great.

Shaw Cable has allowed free access of their Shaw Go Wifi networks for the time being.

Not the best solutions to your concern, I know.

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Hosford add a voip app such as TextNow and use it over WiFi to make/ receive/ send calls and texts in Canada and the US for free.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Hosford  I know how hard it is to survive on a low income so you just have to be smart with how you use your phone and how you spend your money. Almost every company has a 1 800 or 866 (toll free) number. They often ask you to call the local number in larger population centres but you dont have to follow those edicts. Provincial governments have toll free service numbers you can call and be transferred to the the department you need just pick a small town if they ask you where your calling from. 1 800 O CANADA is Service Canada's free info line and they have toll free numbers for most of their departments. If offered take the call back service option.

And take @hairbag1 suggestion and purchase the $5/500min Canada wide calling add on. At $0.01 per minute is almost free and you can monitor your usage in your account. Leave your number as soon as you speak to a customer service agent just in case you get "cut off" and if they assure you they will call you back if that happens....then "accidently" get cut off....so you're using unlimited incoming minutes...and text family and friends to call you....theyll understand and probably have unlimited outgoing anyways.

Highlighted
Oracle

@Mreekster wrote:

Wi-Fi calling is the minimum that they can do. Are they gonna lose thousands of subscribers from Telus and Koodo to public Mobile? No, not with the network of 3G. It is a SAFETY issue!!!

@Mreekster , you have been with PM for at least 2.5 years based on your community account if that is when you activated and you still think that PM operates on the 3G network?  We are on the same network as all other Telus/ Koodo customers and for that matter Bell.  I don't see why WiFi calling is a safety issue, I am not sure what other 3rd tier providers are offering.  I know the higher tiers are removing roaming charges.  Being prepaid is a totally different thing than postpaid.  There are no commitments needed by the customer at all, the customer can leave at any time without any further compensation to PM.  The Higher tiers know they have a commitment by the customers and know that they will be able to recoup any costs it might be by providing temporary relief.

I understand people here in Canada need the relief to but we do need to give PM a chance remember they are part of Telus and the direction is coming from higher up.  This is such a fluid worldwide event no one knows what is going to happen.  

I am not saying any of the Big 3 are doing this but it could be an opportunity to show that the higher tier your provider is the better "care"  you are given.  Might be trying to get people to move up the food (cost) chain.

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click the "?" in the bottom right to create a trouble ticket *
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Hosford 

Everyone that helps....helps a bit and all those bits, if useful to you but not all, will help. 

I worked hard for one company for over 40 years and am on a fixed income and lost 50% of it a few years ago and the true colours of support from Trudeau shows. But I am not going to snivel about it and will make the best of what I can. I guess everyone has a beef with some one or some company. 

I have spent time on getting the best value for the things I want vs whining. While I thought I had a fantastic prepaid plan offered by the loyalty department of another carrier I can tell you that Public Mobile is the best value for me and spouse. 

I would like to share this with you. 

My Public Mobile suggested add-ons for $15 monthly plan.

Suggested add-ons to bullet proof the $15 plan.

For add-ons.

GOOD COMBINATION. More flexibility, less overall cost.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 

=======

$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes**

1 x $15 (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on.

=======

$33 Total                   **🤔The lesser value of the group 🤔

Note the $5, $8, and $15 add-on would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 monthly plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 add-ons, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 add-on ......buy another $5 add-on.

The $15 add-on is less cost per minute than the $8 add-on and the $15 add-on has International, USA and Canada  while the only real use of the $8 add-on is for USA only calls.

Note: The add ons I have mentioned do NOT expire until all the minutes have been used.....the unused minutes roll over month to month until all exhausted.