cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: PROMO: $35 2GB Plan Limited Time Offer

@Naepalm 

When I lived in Ottawa....Hull was the city and Gatineau was the country.

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

A few questions...1) this is for existing customers only? 2) is the 1.5 gigs LTE data or is it all 3G?

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@faja66 

1. its for existing and new customers. If your in Quebec you get it for 30$ instead of 35$

2. Its all 3G speeds (4G LTE capped at 3Mbps)

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@faja66yea existing customers can change to this by going to change plan then asding it to their plan. It is 4G LTE throttled to 3mb, you get 2G of data.

Screenshot_20200516_140227.jpg

Highlighted

So what speed is 3G then? And why would the LTE speed be capped?

Highlighted

Ok so it's throttled back to make the plan cheaper? Ok I guess that makes sense. 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@faja66 3G can vary. it can be like 2mbps to 15, So public uses 4G but its capped at 3Mbps, So it dosent exceed higher speeds than that. In the end it is more stable and usable as it has the strength and reliability of the LTE network. If public mobile only offered 3G i would leave because 3G sucks. Thats why the plans are 4G LTE capped at 3Mbps. You can switch to 3G if you want and sometimes its faster but it has loads of latency. In the end i never notice a difference. I can watch youtube no problem at 1080P. Public only uses the 3G network for calls. And call quality is fine.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@faja66 

Capping LTE to 3Mb speed doesn't save the provider anything... It just saves the customers who are willing to pay more for the higher speeds. It is one of the trade offs for lower priced plans at PM. If PM just opened it up to full speed a whole load of existing Telus customers would switch to PM causing a significant reduction in revenue to Telus. We’ve all run into many people who couldn’t imagine the outrage of having to live with “3G like speeds” yet most of us here either see no difference (in what we use Mobile data for) or the difference isn’t worth the increased cost of other providers. The full Speed LTE customers are paying the cost of network upgrades while we are just tagging onto existing infrastructure adding a little more “Free Cash” to Telus’ bottom line.

AE_Collector

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@darlicious so Hull is a tiny part of Gatineau, I remember calling it Hull as a kid but now everyone calls it Gatineau.

And yes, I saw that re: $30 for Québec residents which kinda sucks... But not worth changing my number. 

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Brandinium wrote:

I just switched to this plan as I was on the previous 3 +3gb/90 day plan which had same data but only province wide calling for ~$40/month ($120/90 days). This plan will be much better to budget for and it’s $5/month less than I was paying before. 

Thanks Public Mobile!

Was your 90-day plan a full speed LTE plan? If the change hasn't already gone though and is future-date to happen at your next renewal time, there is still time to think about this change. If it was an LTE plan that you had, the faster speed is worth something, but you would know best if it's worth the extra cost. At the very least, you're getting less data, but you're also paying less.