Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40 Plan Update

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

Starting November 10, 2020, we are adding 500MB of data to our current $40 for 4GB plan, turning it into the $40 for 4.5GB plan!

New Plan Details:

• $40 per 30 days
  • 4.5GB data at 3G speeds (per 30 days)
  • Plus, get 500MB BONUS data and $2 off when you sign up for auto-pay (per 30 days)
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text

How to get this offer: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5GB + 500 MB AutoPay Bonus”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

62 REPLIES 62

@LoreckAvery wrote:

does anyone know if you’ll lose rewards or loyalties by making a switch to this plan?

@LoreckAvery hi no you will not,  they are related to your account not the plan you are on 

@LoreckAvery wrote:

does anyone know if you’ll lose rewards or loyalties by making a switch to this plan?

No, you will not lose any of those if you switch plans.

LoreckAvery
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious wrote:

@ShawnC13 

Since this is an update to the $40 plan does that mean the old $40/5gb plan is no longer a grandfathered plan? Its now back to a normal $40/5gb on offer with no changes needed?

I don't consider this to be an update, as most people have noticed, people who have the 4GB+500MB version don't automatically get updated. I'm almost certain that this represents a recycling of the old computerized plan code.

@mimmo 

I dont know of anyone who changed their plan during the discount time period but i have been told by moderators in the past that you would definetly lose the discount. Bonus data add ons are YMMV based on the promotion conditions and luck. Some brave members have tested the theory for keeping the bonus data and have lucked out and some not so much.

@LurganIeUk 

Pre-pandemic promotions were regularily mailed to those who had signed up for deal alerts. I have not recieved one since that time. Perhaps @Catherine_T can look into either removing it or have it start sending alerts out again for its new promotions.

@Korth 

As per @popping suggestion I see no reason why pm couldnt send out a text message to all $40 plan users informing them of the update similar to how they offered $25 plan users an extra 1gb of plan data for $10 ($35/3gb) in the spring.

@ShawnC13 

Since this is an update to the $40 plan does that mean the old $40/5gb plan is no longer a grandfathered plan? Its now back to a normal $40/5gb on offer with no changes needed?

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wonderful! Have spread this good news!

$2/5gb I like it!

wbg13
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks for the plan update.  Looking forward to see what other updates may be in store for other plans.

JLakerson
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is great news! I'm sure many PM customers will be thrilled to hear about this announcement.

@Lonetreejim wrote:

Just checked my account...

1862C86B-0EBE-414A-B41B-31DC79B862B8.jpeg

I didn’t have to update my plan.  It changed on it’s own.

But, oddly, my daughter’s did not!

49967BF0-FA08-4EB2-98F3-1D4621A72854.jpeg

@Lonetreejim 

How to get this offer: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5GB + 500 MB AutoPay Bonus”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

@Lonetreejim wrote:

Your plan didn't change on it's own. For a considerable amount of time, the $40 plan did have 5GB. All Public Mobile has done is restore the $40 plan to what it was before.

Lonetreejim
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

dac13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Nice to change to the plan.  Maybe this might lead to other plan updates soon....hoping...

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I understand that but this is labelled as an update to the $40 plan.  If it was a price increase PM would only have to post in the plan section and it would apply to all who are on that plan.  So if this is just an update to the plan they are already on why do they need to change plans to receive the extra data

Exactly this practice is what I was regularly subjected to at Rogers.... got trained to check their website at least monthly to make sure there wasn't a new 'version' of my same plan at the same price that didn't include more features, etc. Snooze you lose.

This is a good change.  However, let's not go overboard with excitement. This isn't an improvement or more data being offered. This is the plan simply going back to what it was all along for quite a while.  I challenge Public Mobile to offer real plan improvements as they no longer have the best plans.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@Korth 

Have you ever had a reply as a result of signing up for “There is the option to "sign up for deal alert" emails (at the bottom of the plans page)”???

No. Because I avoid subscribing to spam. Even when it's forced upon me, I direct it towards a garbage address.

And I visit these forums often enough to be well-appraised of PM's latest and greatest most exciting big news. Or I don't when I consider other things more important.

Still, it's an option available to all customers. If it's not being used in a useful way then that's really something PM should figure out how to improve on their side of things.

@Nezgar wrote:

So with AutoPay the $40 plan is really a 5GB plan now:

4.5 GB Data¹ at 3G speed
+BONUS 500 MB with AutoPay

I'd say it's completely normal for it to be the customer's responsibility to check if current plans are better than their existing, potentially grandfathered, plan.

@Nezgar, I understand that but this is labelled as an update to the $40 plan.  If it was a price increase PM would only have to post in the plan section and it would apply to all who are on that plan.  So if this is just an update to the plan they are already on why do they need to change plans to receive the extra data

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

So with AutoPay the $40 plan is really a 5GB plan now:

4.5 GB Data¹ at 3G speed
+BONUS 500 MB with AutoPay

I'd say it's completely normal for it to be the customer's responsibility to check if current plans are better than their existing, potentially grandfathered, plan.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

My question is why do customers have to go in and change plan isn't PM able to just change this for the customer?  There are many customers that don't come into the community and will not know about this and will miss out on this. (Or is that part of the plan?)

It was the same thing when they upgraded the $15 to better $15 plan, when they upgraded $30 plan to better $30 plan.

I agree they should implement these sorts of plan upgrades automatically. When there's no change in price, when you get more than before, when you aren't trading away anything at all - when there's no reason a customer would prefer to refuse the upgrade.

I assume there's backwards accounting reasons for why things don't happen the smart way.

Not everyone reads Announcements. There is the option to "sign up for deal alert" emails (at the bottom of the plans page). I think SMS notifications should be sent to those affected, if they aren't being sent already. I think some sort of "inbox" should be built into Self-Serve, the point of contact and point of payment for everything. But it is what it is, if they won't change the system then we must work within the system.

I think sending text message notice is a better choice.  It is up to the owner to change it.  Some people may be upset without asking them before change their plan.  

I am not sure that changing plan without plan owner permission will violate privacy law or not.  It is the job of PM lawyers to find out.  Just saying. 

@Korth 

Have you ever had a reply as a result of signing up for “There is the option to "sign up for deal alert" emails (at the bottom of the plans page)”???

@ShawnC13 wrote:

My question is why do customers have to go in and change plan isn't PM able to just change this for the customer?  There are many customers that don't come into the community and will not know about this and will miss out on this. (Or is that part of the plan?)

It was the same thing when they upgraded the $15 to better $15 plan, when they upgraded $30 plan to better $30 plan.

I agree they should implement these sorts of plan upgrades automatically. When there's no change in price, when you get more than before, when you aren't trading away anything at all - when there's no reason a customer would prefer to refuse the upgrade.

I assume there's backwards accounting reasons for why things don't happen the smart way.

Not everyone reads Announcements. There is the option to "sign up for deal alert" emails (at the bottom of the plans page). I think SMS notifications should be sent to those affected, if they aren't being sent already. I think some sort of "inbox" should be built into Self-Serve, the point of contact and point of payment for everything. But it is what it is, if they won't change the system then we must work within the system.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

More data is always nice, thanks for the good news!

PM “could” actually have access to 2 emails of every customer. One from your My Account and one from your Community Account. There is no guarantee that a Community Account holder is a customer though. Also if you sign up to receive notifications by email....that never happens. Like many others I have my personal preferences and don’t have any combination of Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. But I do have an RSS feed (Feedly) that pulls in the Community Announcements.

To keep it all within the confines of PM I am thinking, to request PM to notify all PM customers on $40 plan of the change, likely by email as per the My Account, is going to cost time, systems, payroll and the $40 plan customers need to be filtered out.  I  can agree that PM has a good Community board as the source of ALL information and help. It should perhaps be stressed more loudly that this is the format and to learn to use it and live with the fact of how it is done here! We are all here for the quality and savings. Every time you ask for more and they cave in....expect less promptness ........expect less freebies......expect less improvement to  plans.......OR expect to accept higher costs.  And in the climate today for  demands for lower costs and competitiveness amongst mobile operators the general population won’t accept higher costs. 

But perhaps what what could happen is, the activation and setting up your account piece could actually also, upon completion, send you a text from the Community. Once My Account is set up....text a link to new customer to join the Community and advise why and why to use same email address and why your username should not be personalized. Then have EVERY Community start up automatically with a minimum set up of being emailed of any new post in the Announcements. Notifications of changes ARE here right now with a little work, with little to no maintenance by PM. Then leave it up to the new subscribers to customize the use of the Community to their liking. 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Catherine_T That's a good and useful improvement. Thanks!😊

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Has anyone on limited promos with $off for x months changed plans and kept the discount? 

from what I remember changing plans will cause the discounts be removed from account.

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ShawnC13 

A very valid suggestion, indeed. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Catherine_T, it is great to see that this is going back to the plan.  My question is why do customers have to go in and change plan isn't PM able to just change this for the customer?  There are many customers that don't come into the community and will not know about this and will miss out on this. (Or is that part of the plan?)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@will13am wrote:

Nice to see the data decrease on the $40 plan being rolled back.  

What??????

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Nice to see the data decrease on the $40 plan being rolled back.  

Need Help? Let's chat.