Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: 3G vs 4G vs 5G

@Korth wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear 

I am curious ... if you argue this "horse and carriage" data throttle so "unacceptable" then why do you stay with PM? I'm guessing that any reason you might offer will ultimately lead back to a variation of "because it costs less".

I use PM has a burner phone number, it's not my main line. I use my PM line to sign up for any online/retailer that wants my phone number, as well as using this number for transactions I do on Kijiji/Facebook Marketplace where I don't want to give strangers my real number.

I also get it paid for each month with rewards. The day I have to start paying for it out of my own pocket is the day I will cancel the service.

hTideGnow
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@WoozyPolarBear  yourself is a perfect example of another major user base for these Tier 3 providers: secondary phone and hence doesn't want to pay too much monthly and would like the fact that they can suspend temporary and start again anytime with no commitment. 

Also, I don't like the example you used about using  dialup modem.  I would say while some people want the latest and greatest like 1.5 Gigabit, there are also people who choose just 50Mbp package for the price, and certainly there are still many people using just 5Mbps Cable service.  Yes, the 5Mbps might not be good for 4k Netflix or not  for gamers, but those using 5Mbps only need basic internet for banking and email    So, the same goes with Mobile Data   

Different people Different needs.  And it is clear that PM and other Tier3 has quiet a lot of user who doesn't mind the slower data but enjoying the $15 or $25 plans

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's fine if people don't want those speeds, but they then have no right to complain when they get left behind in society, especially moving forward with the IoT becoming more and more prevalent. 

Realistically, 250 Mbps should be the absolute bare minimum data speed needed to be a functional part of the digital society. Less than that, and you will be disadvantaged.

hTideGnow

@WoozyPolarBear   Sir, we all want the best if they are all free, unfortunately we have many bills to pay.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

Realistically, 250 Mbps should be the absolute bare minimum data speed needed to be a functional part of the digital society. Less than that, and you will be disadvantaged.

Why?

So you can burn through a paltry few GB of cellular data in mere minutes then have nothing left for the rest of the month? So you can stream 8K/4320p60 on a puny cellphone display?

Anyone can get broadband wired, cable, or optic at gigabit or multi-gigabit speeds and terabyte limits. And anyone can set up wifi hardware if they really must interface that data through their smartphone. I'm of the opinion that those who insist on paying far more to get far less (because it's gotta be cellular) are the ones who are disadvantaged.

https://www.tigermobiles.com/faq/mobile-download-speed-guide/

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@Korth wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear 

I am curious ... if you argue this "horse and carriage" data throttle so "unacceptable" then why do you stay with PM? I'm guessing that any reason you might offer will ultimately lead back to a variation of "because it costs less".

I use PM has a burner phone number, it's not my main line. I use my PM line to sign up for any online/retailer that wants my phone number, as well as using this number for transactions I do on Kijiji/Facebook Marketplace where I don't want to give strangers my real number.

I also get it paid for each month with rewards. The day I have to start paying for it out of my own pocket is the day I will cancel the service.

I never give my cell number out to any one other than friends or family. And all "sign up" stuff gets an email address (that does NOT have my name in it) that all the  "junk" information comes to, that may have benefits, along with my CL sales and MarketPlace sales. And if push comes to shove I give out a Fongo number that forwards to my PM number. And I just say call me...but don't text.  And there is no way I would "pay"  for or set up a special  phone number for that kind of thing. And if you do accidentally give out your mobile number, if you ever have a call back that you don't want.....block it. 

I like my PM service with my 250mb of Data. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

There are two types of cell phone users in the world.....thisr who use their cell phone for convenience when they are away from home to make or take a call, send a quick text, kill a little time on a bus or waiting line by browsing the internet or catching up on their emails as they go about their daily life. They don't need the latest, greatest, fastest.....they just need enough to service their needs.

Then there are those who go about their day glued to their phone. They are on it when they take a walk, have a meal, go to the beach or a park and sadly for some they can't even leave it alone when they drive! They are playing video games, watching tiktok, scrolling thru instagram and watching video clips or entire HD movies all the while life passes them by......these are the users that need 5G speeds and large data buckets because their whole life is tied to their phone.

Public mobile is not designed for or marketed to the latter and they never will be....

hTideGnow

@darlicious , so the cell phone is pretty mach a pacemaker to those ppl, and if the mobile connection die, the person die, too ?  🤣😂😁

zulu53
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@darlicious wrote:

@zulu53 

Having full speed 4G LTE at public mobile isnt going to happen anytime soon. This is the distinguishing factor between the three tiers that telus operates. Once 3G starts to get fully decommissioned and telus offers mostly 5G to its customers we may see pm drop throttled 4G LTE service.

As I point out.  With the advent of 5G the "distinguishing features" as you call it should logically change.  Also remember that the defining feature (not just distinguishing feature) of PM vs Telus is the lack of hand-holding staff (no stores, no phone support, no phone handset support, only volunteer support).  That is a huge cost and by far the major reason PM is "less expensive" than Telus.  The saving they make by leveraging their 3G network so as to not overload their 4GLTE and 5G networks is small potatoes: particularly now that they have "built out" 4GLTE infrastructure.

edited by computergeek541: added the quote for the message being replied to

zulu53
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@popping wrote:

It will take time before PM will get the full LTE speed as 5G is not fully deployed.  Currently, we are getting LTE capped at 3Mbps or full 3G speed.

Yes, but that is the status a year or so ago.  4GLTE has been fully deployed and expanded (with fiber) at all nodes; there is therefore no technical need to "throttle" some users to manage the load on the nodes.  All the heavy users are being, and have been, transitioned to 5G nodes, along with their sim cards or esims (new devices).  My point: there is no technical or financial reason for Telus to throttle.  There was but now there is not.

Need Help? Let's chat.