cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning to join tomorrow, what do I need to do before signing up?

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi everyone, 

I am finally deciding to join Public tomorrow. (Aug. 16) Is there any tips on signing up online? Cause I didn't have a smooth sign up when I joined Lucky. (My current provider) I had activation issues with the SIM card so I had to go in person to sign up. So I'm a little nervous doing self-activation, but I hope this time will be better. Fingers crossed!

27 REPLIES 27

@LeePublic 

The $10 bonus credit can take up to 72 hours but you will likely see it tomorrow. Your account should have $2 in available funds and $2 in your rewards section. It can take 48 to 72 hours for your 4G LTE data to throttle to 3mbps but I wouldn't worry too much about using a lot more data in LTE you would only see higher usage if you are watching video content or doing speed tests.

In fact you could monitor your data usage over the next few days to see the difference in data usage  between throttled and unthrottled on a typical day. Just set your data warning to 50mb and your limit to 100mb. You can reset if you hit the your limit if need be....on average you would want to stay below 80 to 85mb per day. to stay within your plan limit.

Great all works.  Welcome to PM

For VM, if you click and hold 1 , did it call your voice-mail?  if so, you can setup VM with the link provided by @JK8 

If pressing 1 does not connect to VM, you can try to reboot once or twice more and try again, the network should push down the VM number 

Enjoy PM!

LeePublic

@softech Porting took an hour. No problems so far!

@LeePublic    You should see PM deposit the $10 into your My Account as Available Fund within 72 hours. You can use it to buy Add-ons or it will be used toward the next renewal if it is not touched.

So, porting all completed?

@LeePublic wrote:

Update: I just joined PM this morning. No problems so far. I set my phone to the 3G HSPA network cause I am afraid of chewing through my data as PM 3G speeds don't kick in until later. I got my 2GB monthly bonus promo. However, I checked my credit card records, it charged me the full amount. i.e. $38 When do the credits get applied?

Also, is there a way to create a voicemail message? Thanks! 

Also, I applied the referral code from my cousin but it hasn't appeared on my account yet. Will it be applied at a later time?

On your first renewal you will receive $4 off if you are on autopay. Also the $10 referral credit will be in Available Funds within 72 hours.

LeePublic

Update: I just joined PM this morning. No problems so far. I set my phone to the 3G HSPA network cause I am afraid of chewing through my data as PM 3G speeds don't kick in until later. I got my 2GB monthly bonus promo. However, I checked my credit card records, it charged me the full amount. i.e. $38 When do the credits get applied?

Also, is there a way to create a voicemail message? Thanks! 

Also, I applied the referral code from my cousin but it hasn't appeared on my account yet. Will it be applied at a later time?

@chesterlau1 

Great post! Thanks for sharing your experience....good advice but keep in mind a few things going forward......

• Love london drugs for pm activations their staff are great but may not be fully informed on current promos and the difference it makes when the terms and conditions of a promotion state "activate online to get this offer" like the use of the current promocode 2GBBONUS.
  •  
  • The IMEI is not needed for number porting and is often what can cause a "stuck" port as it's easy to make an error when imputting the number. All that is needed for a mobile port is :
  •  
  • Full name on account, account #, phone # and recommended but optional alternate phone #.
  •  
  • Mobile number ports should take no longer than 2 hours if done correctly. Any longer indicates an issue often not responding YES to the mandatory porting authorization text within 90 minutes although in certain cases verbal or written authorization can be made before or immediately after the port request has been submitted.

Keep posting!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LeePublic 

How To Activate Online visit Here  for more information,

Activate your Public Mobile SIM card

You'll be up and running in just 4 easy steps, Here 

Plus, get 2GB of monthly bonus data for free* when you activate on plans $35/mo+

online only for that Promo code for 2GB ,  2GBBONUS , that monthly bonus for 2GB no expires but you have to keep your plan and if you changed your plan you will lost the promo 2GB you know,

put it the email for it and the same email when the do a new activate, HERE  ... and about that 2GB promo code No one know expiry date, each time the say something so here a link and the say put it a email so when you like to Activate put it both code one for promo another one for refer a friend and you will receive a one-time credit of $10. the will applied with 72hr,,,, if you don't have a code for refer a friend let me know by Private Messages i will send to you,
plus Set up AutoPay and you will receive a $2 credit every 30 days. 

if are you stuck with Transferring your old Phone Number,

In order to transfer a phone number over to Public Mobile - you will need to activate an account with a temporary phone number and after that your contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, for the transfer your number to Public Mobile,

Here’s how to contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click HERE
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your phone number,
  • which carrier,

Good luck and your welcome to Public Mobile

with a Beautiful Service

you will be very happy

chesterlau1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

I joined Public Mobile 2 weeks ago and thought I would share some of my experiences.

Try going to London Drugs to get a free sim card (valid until Aug 25). They'll activate it for you in-store. You'll be required to make an account with an email and password. You'll provide your postal code and province. 

If you are porting your number, enter your sim card number, the number that you are porting as well as the IMEI of your phone (find through entering *#06# into the call pad). 

You can enter a referral code for a $10 rebate. These codes can easily be found on Reddit, or I'm happy to provide you with one. 

After you enter your credit card info, the porting process will begin. Note: If you aren't porting, your plan will be ready to be used at this point. The porting process can take many hours. It took me 6 hours for everything to work. Keep your old sim card in for a few hours because sometimes it requests permission from you via text. Then after a few hours, you can change your sim card. 

If you have data in your plan, you need to go to something along the lines of Cellular -> cellular data network -> At APN, change to: sp.mb.com. This should do the trick most of the time. 

@LeePublic   Pixel will work beautifully on PM.  

Let us know how the activation going.  BTW, you are porting your number?

LeePublic

@SparkleHeart82 I use a Google Pixel 3a sold by Google Canada.

Dtack
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@LeePublic  - looks like you have alot of great advice.  One thing that I have done and found very useful is to write down all the passwords etc. that I use when signing up.  You might think you will remember the security questions/answers and your PIN # etc., but a few years in and it won't be quite as  easy to remember.  I have looked back at mine a few times now.  Also check the expiry date of your credit card, and even though auto pay should work, I usually prepay my plan each month so that it is a smooth transition.  Welcome to Public Mobile and enjoy the savings!

SparkleHeart82
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Welcome to Public Mobile! 🙂 I hope your experience is great.

Before you do, please look up the compatibility check to make sure that your phone is on the list. It doesn't always have an updated list, but you can always ask a moderator to help you out. 

@Twopennybuffalo wrote:

I just wanted to say congrats and enjoy public mobile! I have noticed one tip on activation is to be patient. I personally waited for my bell sim to go to no signal and then it was all activated. Don’t rush the port that is where provisioning issues can occur.

Provisioning issues aren't related to number porting. If I were to try to port a number in and enter an old carrier with a clearly incorrectly account number such as "123456789", the porting would fail, but the Public Mobile service would/should still activate/provisioin properly.  The two aspects are unrelated.

Twopennybuffalo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just wanted to say congrats and enjoy public mobile! I have noticed one tip on activation is to be patient. I personally waited for my bell sim to go to no signal and then it was all activated. Don’t rush the port that is where provisioning issues can occur.

@LeePublic 

If you are comfortable with that data bucket it's equivalent to a permanent $5 discount on the $40 plan. You can't go wrong with that and I can't come up with any other angle to save more money. You can activate at any time now its officially tomorrow in public mobile time.

I activated a referral a couple of weeks ago on the new portal incognito on Firefox. I just had to take screenshots of the details with my phone and I write down all the important details .....password, pin #, activation date, security question and answer on the card that holds the sim card and keep the extra housing of the tri-cut SIM card in there as well just in case and give it to my referrals.

The new portal made the activation quick and painless....btw....no address need for the credit card just the  postal code if I recall correctly?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LeePublic : It's really just a defensive measure to avoid any browser/internet mishaps. I usually do sign-up and money things in a more open browser. My main browser is Firefox but I have several add-ons that do things. So when it comes to signing up and money...

@LeePublic  wrote:

@darlicious I plan to go with the $35 ($33 autopay) 3 GB + 2GB Bonus data using the promo code for a total of 5 GB. I feel 5 GB is enough for me and it's a reasonable price.

Excellent choice! With the 2GB bonus data, the price is great compare to any other carrier out there. Over time, you will save even more if you get some referral and $1 a year up to $5 loyalty discount.

@LeePublic wrote:

Is there a reason why it's better to use a clean browser?

Yes, PM activation portal is known to be glitchy at times. However, it's been much better since they launched the new activation portal. Many people have experienced smooth activation using cache free browsing via loading it through Incognito/Private browsing mode. 

LeePublic

@Anonymous 

Is there a reason why it's better to use a clean browser?

LeePublic

@darlicious I plan to go with the $35 ($33 autopay) 3 GB + 2GB Bonus data using the promo code for a total of 5 GB. I feel 5 GB is enough for me and it's a reasonable price.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@LeePublic wrote:

Hi everyone, 

I am finally deciding to join Public tomorrow. (Aug. 16) Is there any tips on signing up online? Cause I didn't have a smooth sign up when I joined Lucky. (My current provider) I had activation issues with the SIM card so I had to go in person to sign up. So I'm a little nervous doing self-activation, but I hope this time will be better. Fingers crossed!

@LeePublic Welcome...almost! 🙂

Porting your phone number from another cell provider, it could take a few hours to complete the port.

Using the other cell provider's SIM you should be still receiving calls on it, until the port completes.

Make sure you do not cancel your previous provider's services.

Incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

If you have any issues along the way, come back to the Community and I am sure someone will be able to help in anyway they can.

If you are nervous doing the activation online, try using this link to use the: Public Mobile Online Activation Assistance

EDIT: striked out above...@JK8 has that one covered. 👍

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LeePublic 

Which plan are you going with?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LeePublic : Use a clean browser ie. no add-ons, cache cleared, accept cookies and javascript. You could choose to use incognito/privacy mode.

Don't forget to use a referral code to get a $10 credit. Anybody here would be happy to supply you one if you ask. Getting one un-asked for is against the rules around here.

@LeePublic wrote:

You're need a never-used Public Mobile SIM card and you'll also need a Visa, Mastercard, or Amex credit card (or Visa/Mastercard debit card) or a top up voucher to make payment for your plan.

You'll also need to make sure that your Lucky Mobile service is still active, that your device is unlocked, and you'll need either your Lucky Mobile account number or the IMEI of the device that you've last used with your Lucky Mobile service if you wish to transfer the phone number to Public Mobile.  You'll also want to ensure that you remove any payment card that you have saved on your Lucky Mobile account.

Need Help? Let's chat.