cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

publicmobile's new website is slow and a piece of junk due to dynatrace.com and other bad design

fredfor
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm amazed that publicmobile (Telus) actually spent money for this website redesign. The old website was at least functional.

Aside from the authentication issues that many people have, loading every webpage takes a huge number of ajax requests (you can see these in the debugging tools in your browser).

A lot of them are very slow, particularly the ruxitagentjs requests, which are from the dynatrace.com software, which ironically is supposed to monitor and optimize application performance, but in this case dynatrace slows the website to a crawl.

Watching all the requests for https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/overview it takes 3.99 minutes for all the elements of the webpage to finish loading.

And it says "Loading..." with four animated dots that don't indicate anything except that Publicmobile's website is more difficult to use than geocities. Pathetic.

20 REPLIES 20

PublicSB
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It only took me 7 tries then a page reload to give your comment a thumb's up (due to authentication issues and slow loading).  As a new customer, this website's speed is shocking.

hi @Rossifer use the PM app

They just updated to version 2.0, a lot more responsive, 

Rossifer

And now, with the new Rewards Points program PM is forcing us to log into their super-slow webpage to redeem our points every month.  I'm not impressed. 

JessyU

I will note, that I love Public Mobiles plans and service...Just the website is less than, but it gets the job done for me....Just could be better.

JessyU

This is consistently one of the most sluggish websites I've ever used.  It usually takes about 1 minute for the website to buffer everything and actually be usable.  I've tried: Mozilla, Edge, Chrome, the Android App, and even good ol Internet Explorer....It's not the browser and/or device....it's the website backend that's the problem!

HI  @fredfor   did you try using another browser or app?

@fredfor

fredfor

The self-serve website is just ludicrous. I tried to log on again today, and the ruxitagentjs script from dynatrace is again bringing the website to a crawl.

Here's a screenshot from my browser when looking at all the web requests made by the website. That is not a typo on the bottom - 283 requests, 19.22 minutes, and the webpage still says "Loading..." and doesn't display. The ruxitagentjs script is making a large number of small ajax requests, and never seems to stop.

publicslow1.png

@will13am wrote:

If a customer is staying because of some sort of golden handcuff, then they need to respect this fact to some degree.  The sweetness of low price...

@will13am 

sweetness of NO price  😅

@softech wrote:
@will13am wrote:

..  Criticism can be constructive or destructive.  

totally agree on that @will13am 

I guess PM has a great rewards system.  I know a friend who hates this company, and will say all kind of bad words towards PM.  I asked him why he stays and keep yelling at PM daily, he said "because the FREE service works!!".  He has enough friend referrals and pay $0 monthly.   So, PM does have a great rewards program to make people stay

@will13am wrote:
 hiring high school web designers   

Would love to get the job if I get free service back.  Can you  refer me? I can make great constructive improvement on the web design

If a customer is staying because of some sort of golden handcuff, then they need to respect this fact to some degree.  The sweetness of low price...

If you want a job, tidy up the linkedin profile and throw some applications over the fence.  I would want a slightly higher stipend than free cell service.  🤣

@will13am wrote:

..  Criticism can be constructive or destructive.  

totally agree on that @will13am 

I guess PM has a great rewards system.  I know a friend who hates this company, and will say all kind of bad words towards PM.  I asked him why he stays and keep yelling at PM daily, he said "because the FREE service works!!".  He has enough friend referrals and pay $0 monthly.   So, PM does have a great rewards program to make people stay

@will13am wrote:
 hiring high school web designers   

Would love to get the job if I get free service back.  Can you  refer me? I can make great constructive improvement on the web design

@LitlLdy wrote:

@will13am , Just saw this post!

I’m sorry @will13am that I tend to upset or disappoint some of you with my thoughts & words! I never mean any offence or disrespect to any of you. I just get frustrated when things don’t work the way they should & unfortunately I’m known for being to honest (if I speak up, very difficult as an introvert) which some people struggle with!

Edit; No one or anything will ever be 100% perfect nor agree on everything 100%! There’s always room for improvement, when we stop thinking that way all hope is lost! I always hope for improvement here especially with the technical issues. That’s where our feedback comes in. We discuss with an open mind & soul. I see us all as one big dysfunctional family 🤣 but I still love everyone here! Doesn’t mean something better won’t come along. 

No worries, I am not defending this service in areas where the ball has definitely been dropped, things like ongoing issues related to VoLTE rollout (conditional call forwarding, shrinking whitelist, occasional calling feature failure), sending out 2FA codes without asking for where to send the code first...  Criticism can be constructive or destructive.  Calling out Public Mobile for hiring high school web designers to build the portal is not constructive.  How does a remark like this promote improvement?  

@fredfor wrote:

will13am, I'm using a 1-year old laptop, I have 50 Mbps internet at home. My desktop is 2-years old, same problem.

I'm looking at the browser debug mode for https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/overview there are 320 requests, 3 minutes and the page is still "Loading..."

I run a couple of pretty basic desktops that are heading on 6 years old.  I rarely have issues with the site.  There was a time when it was quite evident the servers being being overloaded and it would take forever to navigate the online portal.  That problem has since been rectified.  Honestly, I am neutral to this latest upgrade in terms of speed performance.  There are rough edges that should receive some attention, but certainly the site far from unusable.  

@fredfor wrote:

will13am, I'm using a 1-year old laptop, I have 50 Mbps internet at home. My desktop is 2-years old, same problem.

I'm looking at the browser debug mode for https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/overview there are 320 requests, 3 minutes and the page is still "Loading..."

@fredfor   I think this is unusual.  Never have a 3 minutes "Loading"

for me, the whole page usually loaded in 10-20 seconds.  it is not good, but not bad.  I use Fido and Rogers as well, they have similar loading time

Bell seems to the best among all

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

So it seems customers can't be critical of the systems that their service uses. I'm fine with the service. It works. I like some of the features of the new system that go toward reducing support requests and making it all just that bit more self-serve. Hurrah. It's the speed of this and the big boy Telus site that are atrocious. The time it takes to do those loads and refreshes is appalling. The caching of information that leads customers to make wrong decisions based on what they're seeing in front of them. The fact that the company is severely limiting volte when a device works perfectly fine with volte. It seems they have implemented a non-standard, protectionist system to push customers around. Then the disabling of the conditional call forwarding in seeming relation to this non-standard implementation of volte. The seeming complete lack of testing and fixing of the new systems they roll out leaving customers to hack their way through bugs and speed and incorrect information and problems getting on to the system. Then the seeming lack of consistency by support to fix the myriad of system problems that customers are confronted with that would tie back to the seeming lack of communication to them from higher up. And the near complete lack of updates and communication here so that customers can know what's going on and what to expect for timeframes of resolutions.

Those are my grievances. But the service works.

fredfor

@will13am , Just saw this post!

I’m sorry @will13am that I tend to upset or disappoint some of you with my thoughts & words! I never mean any offence or disrespect to any of you. I just get frustrated when things don’t work the way they should & unfortunately I’m known for being to honest (if I speak up, very difficult as an introvert) which some people struggle with!

Edit; No one or anything will ever be 100% perfect nor agree on everything 100%! There’s always room for improvement, when we stop thinking that way all hope is lost! I always hope for improvement here especially with the technical issues. That’s where our feedback comes in. We discuss with an open mind & soul. I see us all as one big dysfunctional family 🤣 but I still love everyone here! Doesn’t mean something better won’t come along. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@dust2dust wrote:

I'm not so sure about paying money. I think they wrangled some junior high school web designers and gave them free cell service.

No offence but you seem take great issues with this service more so than LitlLdy.  At least she has threaten to leave this service if she finds something else that is affordable and better.  Criticism is not constructive if you have grievances about pretty much everything. 

@fredfor , I find the redesigned site to be about the same as before, speeds were fine and they remain so.  What kind of hardware are you using and what is your home internet speed?

fredfor

Hollister, no.

A normal company that wants to save money by not interacting with customers would have a functional self-serve website that customers could use for the vast majority of transactions without having to interact with a real person. Even outsourced employees overseas in a developing country cost something.

And public mobile had a functioning website beforehand, public mobile paid people for the new site.

fredfor

Hollister, no.

A normal company that wants to avoid the costs of interacting with customers would have a functional website so that customers could handle the vast majority of transactions themselves without having to interact with an employee. Even outsourced employees in developing countries overseas cost something.

And public mobile HAD a functional website berfore hand, public mobile decided to pay money to some web designers to replace the previous system.

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@fredfor 

It’s an inconvenience, but at the end of the day the customers come here for the great deals on the plans compared to the competition. 

Need Help? Let's chat.