cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free one-time 5GB of data text.

jukos
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I manage my daughters account and she got a text from pm stating the subject line... is this ligit?

686 REPLIES 686

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Bethn The text you would have originally received, if it included mins was for 1GB of data. A technical glitch ended up giving most people 5GB data and no mins. This is PM making it up to you for the error. You will end up with the 1000 mins and get to keep the 5GB of data.

Gonzo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious , I have 2 numbers with PM, one limited and one unlimited, and I can confirm they both got the text.

Bethn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How happy am I to see this text! Its coming at a particularly good time for me.. Finally a plan I can afford to call my relatives with, I'm super happy for that!

I'm a bit confused however. I had gotten another text earlier:

>Public Mobile here. Make the most of our Canada-wide network with a gift, on us. Enjoy a free one-time 1GB of data + 1000 Canada-wide minutes. Just like that.

>Reply YES by 24-Aug-2020 to opt in and get your gift.  

>Good choice! Confirming you have opted in for your bonus one-time add-on. You'll get a confirmation SMS when it's on your account. See in Self-Serve by 31-Aug-20.

Of course I opted yes. 

Got the other text today for 1000 minutes and 5GB. I checked my account today and 5GB have been added but no minutes?

Will check again tomorrow of course.

gwhitema
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@baggyman I got the same one.

"Public Mobile: Tmr wea??ll be adding 1000 free one-time Canada-wide minutes to your account, making your total bonus 5GB + 1000 mins. See in Self-Serve Sep 2."

Lol it looks like I'm downgrading plans for 5 months. Im not even in BC/AB and I got the bonus !

They made a spelling mistake. It should've said "Tommorow we'll Be adding..." Not "Tommorow wea??ll be adding" 😂

I have not see that. 

I would say SPAM...unless someone else knows otherwise?

What!- really? - where are my offers Dudes!

Yep.... @kb_mv is correct.

@ShawnC13  @computergeek541

And merge this one too please.... or @Luddite 

@gpixel It's like a Shark Week feeding frenzy when stuff like this happens here lol.

@baggyman It is legit. It means tomorrow you should see 1000 Canada wide minutes added to your account.

There have been reports of both unlimited accounts and limited accounts getting this text.

@ShawnC13  @computergeek541  can you merge the new thread into this one? Thx

@baggyman @ your self serve account. it's a free 1000 mi

baggyman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I got this message from 611 -

the start with "Public Mobile: Tmr wea??"

Is this some spam, or just Public Mobile?

Cheers, stay safe.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile: Tmr wea??ll be adding 1000 free one-time Canada-wide minutes to your account, making your total bonus 5GB + 1000 mins. See in Self-Serve Sep 2.

Gonzo

Oh, that explains a lot. Thanks @kb_mv 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Gonzo I suspect because the lower plans that were supposed to get 1GB and 1000 mins, got 5Gb and no minutes. Numerous people were contacting PM to ask for the mins and lower data. Guess this is their easiest way to make it right.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess we'll see. 1gb/1000 for some 5gb for others. It's all a bit of a shamozzle. I got the new text on one account.

Gonzo

@SomeFriend , true, that might be it. 🤔 A little style is fine, but sometimes too much style makes one worry about scammers. It’s from the same number, though, so I think everything is on the up and up. In which case, yes, free incentives are awesome 😎 .

These texts came from 611 it is pm giving 1000  minutes to the $10 and $15 accounts and higher to be fair but the bf is still getting nothing....the one person who actually runs out every month!

Gonzo

Hm, update. I’m on a higher cost plan, so I got the 5GB add on promo. But that same text with the 5GB + 1000minutes is going to family members on the $15/month plan who were offered the 1GB + 1000minutes promo. Mix up going on here, or is everyone getting the higher promo now????

SomeFriend

@Gonzo My guess is that it’s intended to be like that, I guess it’s sort of their style.

Regardless, getting free stuff is nice, so why not?  🙂

@darlicious wrote:

Ok weird I just got that text too....is this pm making up for the mistake?

@darlicious well then, lucky you!  Cheers!  😊

SomeFriend

For everyone saying it’s fraud, you can be assured it’s from Public Mobile if it comes from a short code with four or less digits.

The reason why is that short codes only come in five or six digits.  Four digit short codes are reserved for the carrier to use.  For the three digit ones you see from Public Mobile (100 or 611 or similar), they aren’t actually valid short codes but the network can push any text message to you if they would like to.  If it’s pushed from the network, it would be coming from Public Mobile/Telus.

Gonzo

@AE_Collector no, I’m in western Canada. Very interesting, I think you’re right about what the garble meant. Judging from last Christmas’ promo, it can take a week or two for the promo to be added to your account. 

@BrentKilboy , @cherchoi  the text says they will be adding it to your account. You didn't have to do anything. Just log into your self service accounts tomorrow and see if its there. Stay safe. 

@BrentKilboy The people who were supposed to get the 1000 mins and 1GB pretty much all got only 5GB, no mins. This will certainly appeal to them.

@Gonzo 

And isn’t it you who is in ONTARIO? Maybe not as your screen shot shows 1:12PM. 

I just got that as well 5 minutes later ...1:17PM Pacific. I think it is supposed to be “Tomorrow we’ll be adding ...”

I assumed it was in reply to the message I sent to Moderator_Team saying I had not received the 1Gb/1000 minutes OR the 5Gb in my account after having received the “Good Choice” confirmation back by text. Now I’m beginning to wonder whats happening...will see tomorrow apparently. No shortage of entertainment here! I’m liking it now that the last minute August month end (Community Rewards) Is over...for now.

AE_Collector

cherchoi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hopefully that's the case. I guess I'll check Sept 2nd. Thanks!

Ok weird I just got that text too....is this pm making up for the mistake?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Gonzo The best of both promos! Sweet!

BrentKilboy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

But everyone that got the 5 GB already has unlimited minutes? Why bother sending minutes to people that have unlimited? The people who have limited got the 1 GB + 1000 min already.

@cherchoi wrote:

I received the same msg and am in the same situation as you.  My cell also tagged this as Potential Fraud. I've sent a msg to a moderator to get more information about this. So we'll see what they say. 

Hi @cherchoi if you live in Canada west, it is a gift from PM.  Lucky you.  Congrats!  😊

Need Help? Let's chat.