cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calls breaking up

stella4
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is a localised issue in the 1400 blocks of  East 8 Ave & East 7 Aves Vancouver.

Any reason my calls break up here and nowhere else?

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Lol... you are overestimating my computer process! How about you imput the info and I will help interpret the results? Here is my thinking.....I think the OP's good signal at the front of their building is coming from the same tower that my good 3G signal comes from (though I would like to see their 3G signal strength dBm number from their phone) because its mostly unimpeded by geography and buildings as its across the False Creek flats and the park to where their building is located but directly on the south and east of their building the elevation rises steeply and within a block of the northeast. (So much so that I had difficulty pedaling up it on my e-bike at the highest power assist level!) That's why I dismissed all 3 of the towers you mentioned and figured their signsl is coming from the one below....but if their apartment is near the back of the building and their living room is on the west side that would explain the good signal in that room.

Screenshot_20220217-043134~2.png

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@darlicious   I am learning still.. 

just pm you.. check it, it will get you start, once you learned everything.. come back and teach me  🙂

@softech 

Omg....I have no idea how to use that site and have blank blue page. So help me understand what the map you provided is showing exactly and the info you inputted for your results.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

I'm confused.....can you give me the link to where you got these maps?

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin 

@stella4   Your Mobile Data (LTE)  should be good everywhere.  as there are all the towers around you as shown by @hTideGnow .  

But voice is on 3G and you are only served by three 3G towers in your area (the 3 red dots)

softech_0-1645097986172.png

the north one is the main one that actually reached your building

the south one, while it is closer, I think it only cover these area, which I don't think it reaches your apartment.   that could be the reason of the poorer connection on the south side

softech_1-1645098067477.png

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Meow 

Lol...oops I was too far east and no not because I'm currently on olympic time but rather in my mind I was thinking about the 1700  block.

@stella4 

Building construction materials do play a lot in the signal strength you recieve so recent renovations either in your building or the surrounding buildings could be adding extra interference. While obvious materials like concrete impede your signal the less obvious ones like insulation can really mess with your reception or even a neighbour getting a new fridge and changing its location can make a difference.

But now that I recalibrated my compass is your building nearer to the bottom of the hill? You have 4 main cell towers that serve your area but you are likely connecting to the one on terminal a couple of blocks west of home depot but as you move into the back of your building you are either losing a good signal from it or your devices are trying to connect with one of the other 3 all of which are located at much higher elevations at MacLean and 3rd, Fraser and Broadway and at Commercial and Broadway.

Switch your phone to 3G only to test your signal as that is the network your voice calls work on and note if the dBm goes up (over -90dBm is not good the closer you get to -60dBm the better). Is your living room to the west and your bedroom to the south?

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

stella4
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

wow thanks for the posts everyone.

My wife's phone has the same issue as mine, so it's not limited to one phone. 

We both have iphone 12.

Problem started a while ago when we had Iphone5 but we thought it was because the phones were old ( and one of them had gone for a swim)

We live in an apartment on East7. At the front of the building ( ie north of the building) the phone shows four bars of reception and LTE

by the time we walk into our apartment on the south side of the building we are down to one bar, and 60 degrees of concentric circles.

My wife noticed the poor reception on 8th while on a walk a week or so ago.

In our apartment we get good reception in the living room, but calls break up in the bedroom, ten feet away. 

Does this help narrow things down?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@stella4  - to rule out if this is a device issue, can you have someone else test this area?

Or insert your SIM into another phone and go back to 'the dead zone'. See if the same thing happens.

If so, there could be some network interferences of some sort in that area.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Meow 

Lol....that area is fairly flat for Vancouver and mostly single family home residential neighbourhood. The more I thought about this if it isnt just a small geographical area of poor coverage then it could be a device antenna issue.

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@stella4 

Check your signal strength when you experience the issue. Settings>About phone>>SIM status>> signal strength>> mine is often over100 dBm 36 asu which is terrible however I don't notice any issues with my call quality.

Try switching to 3G only. When I do this my signal strength changes to a much more optimal -69 dBm 51 asu. Maybe staying on 3G only when you are in that area will improve your reception although you are on the 3G network anyways during calls.....if your signal strength doesn't change drastically like mine does when switching networks then you know the 3G network strength in that area is poor.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Interference by big objects? 'Interesting' terrain? It is known that some areas are really like twilight zone where you have perfect reception on even side of the street and No reception (or very spotty one) on odd side of the street.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@stella4 

You are 10 blocks east of me and I don't have an issue here or when I'm over there although I do have less than an optimal signal strength for some reason despite the good telus coverage.

But I suspect @VIP_Tech 's suggestion of toggling airplane mode on/off should do the trick. Otherwise try rebooting the phone first followed by removing the sim card and checking the sim card and sim slot for dirt and debris, waiting a full 10 minutes before reseating the sim card and rebooting. Finally try a network reset can be performed if necessary.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

actually @popping  had a point.    @stella4  did you get the problem with calls from selected people? Try to have as many people to call you as possible to confirm. 

is this your area?  if so, it has reasonable Telus coverage.  How long you have the problem?

hTideGnow_0-1645045204205.png

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@popping 

I don’t think it is high buildings or a voip call. Perhaps a dead spot as mentioned. How many bars show on your phone?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stella4 

If the person, who you called, is using VoIP with network bandwidth issue, the call will be choppy audio from other side.  Bandwidth measures how much data can be sent over a connection in a given amount of time.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@stella4 

There must be a dead zone in this area.

It happens a lot when I was with Chatr but not on PM.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @stella4   

What model of the phone you have?  It could be missing some bands on your phone, especially if you phone is not a North American version.

Did you try putting your SIM in another phone and see if it is better?  this can see it is a device issue

If putting your SIM is the same and if the issue only happens in that particular block and everywhere else good, open a ticket with PM support to confirm if there is any issue in that area.

Click on the Bubble or directly at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Follow this to get to ticket open screen quicker:

1. type: Contact CS Agent
  2. Click "Contact Us"
  3. Click "Other"
  4. Click "Click here to submit a ticket"
  5. you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the moderators (but this can take longer):

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @stella4 

reset SIM, take out SIM, re-inserting SIM and power on,
try toggling airplane mode off/on,

try manually selecting network "3G only" or WCDMA only,
and Rebooting device..test it.

check it out area Cellular Towers Map..

Need Help? Let's chat.