cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water damage to SIM card in mail

ayszhang
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello! I live in Vancouver and am a new customer of Public. I ordered a SIM card and paid for a monthly plan. But somehow the mailbox leaked and rain got in and soaked the entire envelope and SIM package. My phone did not detect any SIM at all, so I went to a local shop (Fast Cell Repair on Commercial Drive, Vancouver) to purchase a new one since I didn't want to risk more water damage before we fixed the mailbox. They charged me close to $15... Would it be possible to get some credit or something? Especially because the same thing would cost only $5 from Public directly 😞

5 REPLIES 5

Meow
Mayor / Maire

SIM card is really tight packed so unless there is physical damage water cannot do much to it. But you never know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbIKakk_-YY see what is inside SIM.

I would thoroughly dry it, clean it and check contacts do not touch each other and try again.

But since you bought new SIM already (and heavily over-paid 😞 ) go and register it with PM.

You can contact agent for partial refund but I doubt they will refund you any amount as that was not their fault that your mailbox leaked.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @ayszhang   SIM card is plastic with a metal chip, but it should be ok if you wipe it dry.  But if it really not work, open a ticket with PM Support.  You can just tell them defective SIM  🙂

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Is Fast Cell Repair on Commercial Drive, Vancouver an authorized PM agent?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ayszhang 

You can contact customer support with photos of the damaged sim card, the sim card # and a copy of the reciept and ask if they are willing to offer you an account credit. I certainly won't be recommending Fast Cell Repair for customers pm needs since they are overcharging  for pm sim cards. The msrp of a pm sim card is $10+ tax of course retailers are free to charge whatever they like but 99% of retailers charge $10 or less. For future reference pm sim cards are available at TMS at RCSS, London Drugs, Best Buy and many other local retailers as well as at Canadian Cell Supplies for $3.99 or less with free shipping via Canada Post.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Need Help? Let's chat.