cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

area code

foffe1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Why do people calling me have to include the area code 506 for my number xxx-xxxx to work and some say they also have to use the #1 in front of the area code. Thanks

PJ

6 REPLIES 6

yes, it not convenience but i am sure it will be coming to you.  I guess you can keep calling with 7 digits for now until you can't drag on any longer

you are lucky you still on 7 digits.  Ontario has used 10 digits for over 30 years.  

foffe1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It's the only number that requires that. I don't need to include the area code with other local numbers. Maybe it's just a matter of time before it's required of all numbers.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Yes, there is a new area code for NB and hence you need to start calling with the area code.

In terms of adding a 1,  the calling might need to be careful, depends on where they call from , Long distance charge might apply.  Of course, they the caller has Province-wide or Canada-Wide, calling, they the caller can call with the 1 without worry about the LD charge.  

userbusanzeu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

At least that how I've always been doing when calling someone, with country code and regional code.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@foffe1  Calling with 10 digits is a very common practice these days.  

For NB, you probably aware, a 2nd area code is already introduced in NB and hence you need to use 10 digits dialing

Starting August 13, 2020, local 10-digit dialing will be introduced in New Brunswick. Residents will need to dial 10 digits – the area code followed by the seven-digit phone number – for all local calls. The introduction of 10-digit dialing is the result of a decision by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) and will pave the way for the addition of a new area code, 428, in November 2020, as the 506 area code reaches capacity.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Most cities now require ten digit dialing when placing phone calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.