cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add on data

zhengbe21
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Will add on data be expired in certain perid of time?

7 REPLIES 7

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I retract the last comment I made above, because on May 22, 2020, PM announced the change from $30 to $15 without introducing an expiry. When I said the expiry is part of what made it cheaper, I was also thinking data is just getting cheaper.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Price-Change-1GB-Data-Add-on-Now-15/td-...

In July 2023, @DennyCrane said the expiry was introduced in about May 2023. I also see comments in this thread that people with both new (expiring) and old (non-expiring) Data Add-Ons were seeing the old ones being consumed first, which is clearly not the right way (but an obvious possible logic error, consuming furthest-away purchase instead of closest-in expiry). Not sure if that was real, or if it was fixed. There also seem to have been more Data Add-On options back then (now only 200MB and 1GB)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Data-Add-on-Expiry/m-p/1016908

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I was shocked to see the new policy on the PM site today. At least it's cheaper, but I'd prefer the old system even at the old prices. I remember when switching a relative over to the "new" PM (Telus-based) in May 2014, explaining to the very nice rep that we didn't need data, because the $30 1GB Booster would last potentially forever (he finally believed me when I said it was "just like Koodo" and he looked it up in the PM T&C), and the relative needed no monthly data even with a smartphone (used only on WiFi, and only used mobile data to look up directions while out, though mostly they just called me for directions and I talked them through it in real time using my computer). I think they actually stretched it out to 2019 or so (tried to keep data off, but that disabled MMS, so were very careful not to run apps that used data in background).

That said, a 30-day expiry is part of what makes it $15 instead of $30.

zhengbe21
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I do not know when it changed. 

But if you purchase it right now, it will be gone in 30 days. 

I hope the 30 days limit will be replaced with the old policy.

abbeyC
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does anyone know when this changed.  I have been using public for over 2 years, and in the past when I bought data, it would stay on my account until I used it.  So, I was shocked to see that it will be gone in 30 days when I wanted to purchase this time around.  Can someone confirm this new change please?
thanks abbey c

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

2023-05-24 22_46_45-Canada's First 5G Subscription Phone Service _ Public Mobile.png

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@zhengbe21   Yup, the good old days of non-expiry data is over.  Now, data add-on has an expiry of 30 days from the moment the purchase is made successfully

So, don't buy ahead, and buy enough to last till the end of the cycle, don't waste money

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@zhengbe21 

yup...expires in 30 days from purchase date.

Need Help? Let's chat.