cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Add-on Expiry.

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I noticed that recently since the new update a change was made to the Data Add-ons, to which they expire 30-days after the original purchase date.. these used to roll over and would never dissapear if you never went over your data limit and never used them.. why did they suddenly make this change with almost no reason?

Also, what does this mean for previous Data Add-ons that were purchased before the update, will those still be grandfathered in?

For example: I have an account which I got 3GB free Data Add-ons for 'More Is merrier', I haven't used it and it's still there.. is that eventually going to dissapear as well?

For future More is merrier, will the Data Add-ons given as Gifts also expire after 30days?

Minutes still carry over every month until used up, correct?

Screenshot_20230714_163050_Public Mobile.jpg

14 REPLIES 14

VRMadd12
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

yes.  that was a great feature. Very disappointing.  

VeryDiscouraged
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That's what I'm seeing.

Found an old thread complaining of the inverse.  Back when data had no expiry the add on's were being used first and then the plan data (which technically expires). Thus short changing the customer.

Data should always be used in order of expiry.

Hi @VeryDiscouraged data addon will kick in when regular data are out. Then when new cycle starts, Same. Regular data first. So, there wull be situation that your remaining paid data expired and then your regular data used up. Not a good case but this is how PM data are set

VeryDiscouraged
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Has anyone noticed that the 30day add-ons are not used up first? They are using up my main plans limited data so when my add-on expires I'm left with nothing.

@Libbyjean- It came in around the time of the new login system. I suggest getting the small amount and use it up and then get another. 3 x 200 meg's (600 megs) is equivalent cost to the 1 gig add-on. 2 x 1 gig add-ons (2 gigs) is equivalent cost to the 3 gig add-on. But if you don't need that extra data after your renewal then you waste it. So that's why I suggest getting the 200 megs. Unless of course you think you would need the larger ones to hold you over until your renewal depending on your usage. As you know, when your plan renews you go back to using your plan data.

Libbyjean
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just came on to add-on more data and discovered that they expire in 30 days! When did this happen? (I usually only have to do this once or twice a year when travelling.)

Data add-in’s never expiring was a big thing I loved about PM. Colour me disappointed. 

You could be very right. Plus with all these higher data bucket plans that have come out this year, the data bonuses will be less relevant to many; and those in the lower $15/$25 plans, they may be looking for a way to push them to higher ARPU plans (which bonuses don't help with).

@DennyCrane wrote:

My bet is this year's data gifts will have some sort of expiry; whether that be 30 days, 180 days, or 365 days. Time will tell...

I have doubts that there will be a bonus data add-on this year. These add-ons don't work with the unlimited 5G plans.

My bet is this year's data gifts will have some sort of expiry; whether that be 30 days, 180 days, or 365 days. Time will tell...

XionBunny

The OP was more wondering if the future gifts might be just 30 day expiry based, and the answer is no one knows until we get this year's gifts come Christmas time, that's the only time we will have any idea. I'm as curious as everyone else on what they'll do.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Holiday bonuses are not affected. I still have mine unused.

It looks like only NEWLY purchased data add-ons have expiry date. We will see soon if 2023 Holiday bonuses (if any?!?!) will have any restrictions.

XionBunny

Minute add-ons are also not effected by the new changes and continue to roll over until used.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Yeah that's a new thing as of May. All new data add-on's expire. It's unfortunate, but it is aligned with every other carrier.  

Old data add-on's without an expiry date are unaffected. 

Need Help? Let's chat.