cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why only LTE? Where is my 5G?

Momo88
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have 2 phones. Both on the same type of plan. But the newer phone only have LTE while the older phone uses 5G.

@ CS_Comms 

edtied by computergeek541: The above tagged username isn't a customer service account (nor anyone else you works at Public Mobile).

8 REPLIES 8

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

One of the phones I "manage" got the 5G update a while ago and suddenly volte worked. The plan is the basic $15 plan. I can select 5G and a 5G indicator shows up on the top bar when I turn on data. But it still only gets 3mbps speed.

DaveDelSole
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is the other phone 5G capable? 

Momo88
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Technically yes.  But the initial burst of speed is at 200mb/s instead of 150mb/sec.  

so in performance wise first paint items load much faster already despite the cap. 

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Momo88 

have you recently subscribed to one of the PM 5G plans ? Up until last week...just 3G/4G (LTE).

The subscribed to plan is unrelated to the network types being connected to.  All plans have access to all availiable networks.  The 3G, 4G, and 5G in the plan details are only meant to indicate different speeds but not the network types.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Momo88 

have you recently subscribed to one of the PM 5G plans ? Up until last week...just 3G/4G (LTE).

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Momo88 what phone do you have?

did you check the Preferred network type? change it to 5G (but usually automatic would be sufficient)

and tell you the truth, if you have a 5G plan, even it shows LTE/4G, you will get a speed much better than the speed capped on 4G plan (100Mbps)

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Momo88  Shouldn’t matter if it’s in 4G /LTE or 5G you will still only get the data speeds your plan is that you pay for …but you should be able to change the cellular data connection on both phone to be the same so long as the newer phone in this case supports 5G … but unless your in a 5G service plan I’d just keep them both in LTE /4G as 5G will drain battery quicker and cause the phone to run warmer 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Momo88 

Both on the 5G plan?

Is the newer phone on the list of approved devices for 5G?

You might have to go to Setting>Cellular Data Option and check off 5G.

Need Help? Let's chat.