cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my LTE faster than 5G?

Fma15
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I did a speed test and the 5g speeds are lower than the LTE speeds. I have full bars of both and the 5G speeds are around 10-30 Mbps while the LTE speeds are around 100 Mbps. My phone is capable of 5G and my phone plan supports 5G, so I'm not sure why my speeds are slower when on 5G. I tried resetting my network settings but that didn't fix it. 

8 REPLIES 8

hi @Fma15

not all towers have all 3G, 4G and 5G.  Your Telus tower might or might not have 5G yet.

Also, even the same tower has 4G and 5G, because 5G does not travel as far as 4G, the speed could be different. 

And the 5G speed we have is capped at 250Mbps, which 4G can also go that fast, thats why you might not see better speed with 5G.  But if you have 5G+ with Telus , which can can as fast as 1000Mbps, that you will see 4G really slower than true 5G speed

That's insane - thanks for sharing @Phil_Adelphus 

One of my 'peeps' moved to the 5G (from 3G) and i was gonna have them do a speed test.  I'll wait until a day or so prior to their renewal before experimenting.

Appreciate it!

@HALIMACS  If I recall correctly it was 200-300MB on 5G.  I didn't keep a note, so I just did a speed test (indoors so LTE) reset my cellular stats to zero first.  It used 179MB, speed 127Mbps down and 3.23 up. Oh wait, it does tell me in the Ookla history.  One 5G test where I got 246 down and 22.6 up used 306MB for the down test and 27.3 for the up.  Another one on 5G, 433MB to test down, 13.6MB to test up.  Speed that time was 236 down and 8.25 up.  Ouch, worse data use than even I thought!  I don't know why it would be using different amounts each time..??

Curious @Phil_Adelphus , how much data did the 5G speedtest consume - did it reach 100MB?

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Fma15   I find it depends where I am.  When I'm in a good 5G area I can get pretty much on the max speed of 250Mbps, other areas LTE is faster.  I have my phone on 5G auto and most of the time it picks LTE anyway.  At home I can't force it to do 5G in the house but it will get it if I'm outdoors in the yard.  When I first got 5G I tested it here and there until I discovered  how much data a speed test uses on 5G lol! 

Fma15
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I can see a Telus cell tower from my window, so I don't think its the distance. I'm ok with using LTE, but I would prefer to actually use my 5G 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Fma15  5G speeds are up to 250mbs and 4G speeds are up to 100mbs . But even with  phone set 4G/LTE  being on 5G plan you. An still get better speeds of 100MBs of a 4G plan 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Fma15 not impossible.  5G is generally faster but the 250MBPS cap, you  an get that speed on LTE too

and some location, the slower 5G speed can be due to distance with the 5g towers 

Need Help? Let's chat.