cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$19/1Gb plan — speed is still 3G

Alicat27
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched from the old $25/1Gb plan to the new $19/1Gb plan that is also supposed to include a faster data speed. My plan renewed nearly 2 weeks ago and I’ve only used about 1/4 or my monthly data, but my data is still only 3G speed instead of 4G. What do I do about this?

16 REPLIES 16

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Okay boys and girls, stop bickering about data speed throttling.  Data speed ≠ data consumption.  There is no conspiracy theory with getting rid of the 3G speed cap.  If we are going to be helpful to customers, we should be mindful not suggesting manual settings.  For the less tech savvy, auto setting will produce best results.  

HI @RavingRaven 

first time i hear people won't to "downgrade" so badly

Of course I know setting 3G is not the same is capping at 3Mbps.  20Mbps is still fairly good for a 250Mb usage.  of course, if you really wait it capped properly, you know what to do, you have to ask agent for that

RavingRaven
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@hTideGnow 

I beg to differ. If you have a 5G speed plan set your data limit to 250mb and see how long your data lasts doing average tasks on your phone like checking email, doing the odd Google search and using google maps.

And setting your network to 3G does not throttle your data to 3mbps as the 3G network data speeds vary depending on network traffic but can reach up to 20mbps+.

RavingRaven

@Alicat27 

Happy to see it was a simple fix. I learned something new today.

hi @Alicat27 happy to help

Yes, the community tries to help with quick fixes so you don't have to open ticket with support agent. 🙂

hi @RavingRaven 

honest, you won't loss much with a 5G speed unless you are browsing via video.  a tip is to disable autopay on all video or music app

but the proper way,  what you can do is to change the network mode to 3G and your speed will be capped by you. 

RavingRaven

@hTideGnow 

Why would that be lucky? Having 5G speed with 250mb of data is a disaster as your data is consumed at a much faster rate performing the same actions. There are still lots of customers with 3G plans and I would wager that if they stick with a 3G plan it's because they are quite happy with slower data speeds. Faster is not always better.

Alicat27
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks -- I didn't realize there was a setting on my phone for this.  Changing the setting on my phone fixed the problem -- glad it was so simple! 

@RavingRaven wrote:

@hTideGnow 

What do you suggest to fix the opposite problem? If your data speed is supposed to be throttled to 3mbps but it's 5G speed?

hi @RavingRaven 

is this a "problem" you have?  it is not even a problem

and if this is a new account, the speed might not be throttled on the first 48 hours and it will the capped after

However, there is no more 3G plan now so this won't be a problem 

And if you still have a 3G plan but got 5G speed, it, more than 3Mbps on 4G or 5G networks, consider yourself lucky 

RavingRaven

@hTideGnow 

What do you suggest to fix the opposite problem? If your data speed is supposed to be throttled to 3mbps but it's 5G speed?

@RavingRaven 

check above, I made some suggestion

and @Alicat27  , one thing you can also check is to put your sim in another phone to confirm.  Again, try different network mode and reset all networks when you are testing on another phone

RavingRaven

@hTideGnow

OK. What do you suggest to fix the issue?

HI @RavingRaven 

after the plan change, the account won't be throttle anymore.  I think it is more a device issue and can usually be resolved without agent's help

RavingRaven

@Alicat27 

You need to contact customer support and ask them to raise a ticket with the tech team to unthrottle your data. Be sure to get the ticket reference # in case you need to contact them again if your data speed does not change within the time frame they give you for it to be fixed.

Click on the chat bubble at the bottom right to submit a ticket via the chatbot or send a private message by clicking below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@Alicat27 , I assume your phone is set to and connecting on either 4G or 5G?  Are you using speed tests to confirm the speed throttling?  Sometimes, local network conditions can lead to unreliable results.  If you are sure that the data speed is still capped at 3 mbits/s, use the chat symbol on the lower right corner of the web page to initiate a support ticket.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Alicat27 

what speed around you getting if you use the app SpeedTest?

make sure you change your network mode to Automatic and see that your phone showing 4G or LTE

if not, go to network mode screen and manually change it from Automatic to 4G or LTE

Need Help? Let's chat.