cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am i being charged for incoming and out going calls , im on $15 plan a month ,

raider
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

when i signed up it was for out going calls only , now im being charged for incoming and out going  calls ?

18 REPLIES 18

@hTideGnow- The thousands of other minutes aren't enough to test 1 or 2 minutes with? 🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hTideGnow 

Lol....practice? I've just noted over hundreds of calls if I tick over to 53 seconds I get "charged" 2 minutes instead of 1 minute. If I hang up at 52 seconds usage records 1 minute. If I call a pm number and hang up at (not after) the 5th ring it still connects to voicemail and records 6-7 seconds of usage. If I'm too slow fo react and I hang up just as the voicemail connects it records 8 seconds of usage. If I hang up after 4 rings but before 5 rings then no call is recorded. That's my phone(s) experience with calling other pm customers. While I do call non-pm customers it hasn't been enough for me to make note of and recognize a definitive pattern. If you call a landline with no answering machine or voicemail set up and you let it ring 20 times before someone answers then they hang up your usage might end up being 2 or 3 minutes if the ring time exceeds 1 minute or more?

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What are the charges?  This doesn’t seem right. Can you post a screenshot of your incoming and outgoing charges?

Thanks for testing @dust2dust   

I think I will test it at the end of my cycle  🙂

@hTideGnow- Experimentation? Try it out. See what happens. Regardless of whether you're on the $15 plan, you can look at the total time in your usage details.

Adding - I just tried it. Looked at my minutes. Dialed. Little spinner icon. It jumped up adding 3 minutes. Didn't let the other end answer. Little spinner icon. Went back to the initial number. Nothing in the usage details. Dialed. Same 3 minutes. The other end went to voicemail (dialed my other sim on the phone). Little spinner icon. Phone says 4 seconds. Little spinner icon. 1 minute. Usage details shows 39 seconds.

Hi @darlicious 

how you know all this?? 

For the 7 seconds ring.  if it is really 7 seconds the ring and actual talk time of 5:53, does it show 5:53 our the usage history? or show 6:00?

and what if the ring just 2 seconds, and the talk time is  5:53, does it count as 5:55 and hence 6 mins? or PM will add 7 seconds anyway?

and in some case, if they ring is longer than 7 seconds , like 10 seconds, does that mean a call of 5:50 will be counted as 7 minutes already?

You're missing something, @raider 

Check your SELF-SERVE usage history screens against your device calling history to ensure you're capturing all the outgoing calls.

The counter is unlikely incorrect for the cycle (which runs 30-day consecutive cycles, not calendar months)

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@raider 

For the $15 plan please note the following......

• Incoming calling is unlimited.
  • Calls to your voicemail from your phone are metered.
  • Calls forwarded to your voicemail are not metered even though they appear as outgoing.
  • Call forwarding to other phone numbers are not metered.
  • Calls to North American toll free numbers are not metered. Nor are most international toll free numbers but require the requisite long distance add on that is metered.
  • If you are not in the eastern time zone you can distinguish between forwarded incoming calls to voicemail and calls initiated from your phone to voicemail by the timestamp. Calls from your phone will be in local time while incoming will be timestamped in eastern time.
  • Calls are are rounded up to the nearest minute and include the ring time of about 7 seconds (depending on the recipient phone). So generally 53 seconds is rounded "up" to the "nearest" minute=2 min. 52 seconds is rounded "down"=1 min. Or a call that is 5:52min=6min and a call that is 5:53min=7min. As the average ring time (for pm at least) is 7 sec. 5:53+0:07=6min rounded up to 7min or 5:52+0:07=5:59min=6min rounded "down". (Rounded "up" and "down" terms used when assuming all answered calls start at 1 minute of usage.)
  • Calls to 611 and 911 are not metered.
  • If you do not live in the eastern time zone your plan renewal still occurs in that time zone. If you live in bc your minute and data counter rolls over at 9pm pacific on "Day 30". If you use data between 9pm and midnight pacific on "Day 30" this will also affect the accuracy of your phone's data tracker.
  • Downloading a voip provider app like fongo or textnow to use on wifi (or mobile data/0.5mb=1min) can be used to check your voicemail (Dial your phone #. Once connected press "*" and enter your voicemail PIN # to access your voicemail services.) Or use for calls you may be put on hold for to save outgoing minute usage. They also offer free long distance to many North American destinations.
  • This post by @kselmak explains how to use fongo's call transfer feature to make "free" outgoing calls that will show your pm phone number for caller ID. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Made-a-call-while-at-home-on-wifi-no-minu...
  • Supplement your $15 plan's 100 outgoing minutes by purchasing the $5/500 minute Canada wide calling add on. It's a one time purchase that does not expire instead it rolls over every 30 days until completely consumed.
  • You will recieve an SMS text message from 611 telling "you have 10 minutes remaining" in your outgoing plan minutes. If you have the $5/500min add on or the "more is merrier" 500 international long distance minutes (holiday gift) you will seamlessly transition to using those minutes. Otherwise your call will stop working (drop) once your 100 outgoing minutes are exhausted.
  • If you run out of outgoing minutes and have no other calling minute add ons on your account and you attempt a phone call. Remain on the call thru the entire message telling you that you have run out and to call *611 to add minutes**. When the message finishes do not hang up but rather press "*" and your call may ring thru and connect. Sometimes this will take up to 4 attempts to ring thru but so far it has worked.....and worth trying if you have no other option to make an outgoing call. 🤫
  • **The $5/500min add on is not available for purchase on the 611/IVR system.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@raider 

The $15 plan only charge for outgoing calls rounded up to the next minute.

You may have answered your voicemail but when you answer the messages…you are making an out call to your voicemail box.

@raider one more thing, PM is on a 30 days cycle.  So, cycle start day will chsnge.  Did you start counting from the.corrext cycle start day?

raider

yes i did

@esjliv did you round up the usage minutes?? a 2 seconds call and a 59 seconds calls both counted as 1 full minute 

@raider wrote:

just checked my account only have 7 mis left from a 100 , checked all outgoing call only used maybe 60 , so something is not right .

@raider  - note that all calls are rounded up to the nearest minute. So, as soon as you hear calling on the line when you are making a call that is when the 'charge' begins (edit, but the recipient needs to answer so the call is connected for it to count) , if you hang up at 10, 35 or 47 seconds (for example) than all these would round up to 1 minute.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Only use the usage details as a way to see all the activity in and out of your services. They do not mean you're being "charged" anything.

A test to verify would be to log in to the account and click on the little spinner refresh icon lower down under the plan information that shows your base plan features.

Then from another phone or voip app, call your number. Answer it and waste a few moments. Maybe even a full minute or so. Hang up. Wait another number of moments.

Then click that refresh icon again and see if the minute counter changed. It shouldn't.

(not the browser refresh up top...the lower down one)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@raider - adding to @computergeek541 post, if you are seeing a phone number ending in 4001 or one of these voicemail access number: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-N...

then this is simply you accessing your voicemail or someone calling into your voicemail.

Calling your voicemail from your device DOES consume your 100 outgoing minutes. But there is a workaround...call you number from another device and this DOES NOT consume your 100 outgoing minutes from your plan.

raider

just checked my account only have 7 mis left from a 100 , checked all outgoing call only used maybe 60 , so something is not right .

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@raider  $15 plan only has 100 out going mins , but PM is pre  paid so you won’t be charged any more then you plan amount …. If you haven’t got the minutes there’s no mins to charge you for 

@raider wrote:

when i signed up it was for out going calls only , now im being charged for incoming and out going  calls ?

There are no extra charges on any plans.  As for the currently offered $15 plan, incoming calls are unlimited and don't count towards using up your 100 outgoing minutes.  If you're looking at your Self Serve account usage details, there will be some outgoing calls listed to a voicemail deposit number when callers real your voice message box, but those do not use up any part of your 100 minutes.

Need Help? Let's chat.