cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's my menu?

GS6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I signed up online for Public Mobile, ordered, received, installed my SIM on a gently used LG phone donated by a friend. Called the phone and it worked. BUT there is no menu of any kind appearing when I turn on the phone, which had been reset to factory default. I came from a Telus mobility flip phone that had the minimalist functions displayed as selectable icons on screen. Yes I am a neophyte user of 'smart' phone.

9 REPLIES 9

GS6

BINGO. Thank you dust2dust. I was able to find an excellent youtube video (with no audio) that was my actual make and model of phone. Problem solved. Quickly completed my setup. Google Buster award of the day to you .. plus best wishes for 2023.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

From what I can gather, this is the Google FRP device lock. Your friends brother must have enabled this option. There are workarounds and hacks and maybe LG might help but it all may be beyond what you might wish to deal with.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@GS6 

Since you are on the setup of the LG android phone. You need to create an account on the phone so all your emails and all your contacts will be transferred over to the phone.

You can register with a Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail etc. account and the password associated with the account.

You may want to have a family member help you with the registration of the phone.

HI @GS6   this is a step for you to enter your Gmail account, not your friend.

Honest, you a new to smart phone, get a friend to help.  It's hard to figure the whole thing yourself

@GS6   you need to setup a Google account (gmaii) if you don't have one yet

Once you got the Google account , then enter your Gmail address and password and continue from there

GS6

Thank you, but I do not get a menu yet. Just a Welcome screen (this phone was wiped - reset to factory settings -  before it was passed on to me), and no it was not a stolen phone. Next I am taken to a Set Internet connection screen where I toggle on Mobile Network and select my available Wi-Fi network. Then I proceed to the Set-up your LG-H831 screen where I choose to "Set up as new" (vs restore apps & data). Then the kicker: Google appears with this message "This device was reset, To continue, sign in with a Google Account that was previously synched on this device." I cannot go back to the original owner, my friend's brother. He died s-x years ago. So I appear to be stuck with my only option to go back to my flip phone Telus mobility plan. Unless someone has a better idea please ..

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@GS6 

The settings menu will show what apps are on the phone. 
There should be a Gear symbol on the touchscreen that you can go into for setting you are looking for.

If it is the menu for the phone. Touch Phone symbol and it will show the keypad. The bottom of the screen will have the keypad, recents calls, contacts of all your friends and family and places if you have locations enabled.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@GS6  Look like it is a device question and unrelated with the network (PM)

What menu you are expected?  Give us the model of the phone and we can try to find a user manual for you

Of course, it is would be best if your friend can also walk you through the phone once 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

What kind of 'menu' do you expect to see on your smart phone?

It is all based on apps... you should have 'settings' app where you can adjust a bunch of phone's parameters.

Need Help? Let's chat.