cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the texting app for android users?

Milk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Further to my post complaining that   mms-sms  picture and video messaging  is not working for me. Just watching the James Corden  late show  where they were discussing the draw backs and at times late delivery if delivered at all of mms text and picture messaging.

It seems that iMessaging is the best and most reliable choice  . Apparently android users need an additional texting app  in order to ensure their texts are delivered  within a more reasonable , but still mostly late time frame.

So in conclusion it’s not PM ‘s fault and my phone settings are correct.  The problem , in my case anyways , was trying to use mms instead of iMessage in order to save some data.

What texting app should android use?

7 REPLIES 7

Milk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Perhaps mms/sms may work better with android than with iPhone. In my experience texts by mms/sms with iPhone are usually delayed. This can cause minor to major inconveniences.  However the absolute best way to ensure good communication is the old school voice call. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Milk   iMessage and MMS are different technology is unfair to be compared, I think

While iMessage seems to be "best" according to someone, the biggest drawback is that it is a iPhone only messaging app.  Apple has been long criticized for not opening up it's iMessage app for non-iPhone users.  And the best for  MMS is like SMS, you can send across platforms and also, as you already know, it does not cost you any data (at least for Canadian market)

not sure why and how "android users need an additional texting app  in order to ensure their texts are delivered  within a more reasonable , but still mostly late time frame."  If you meant Android users need another app to send iMessage like of message, then no additional app needed..  The stock Samsung text app and Google message app can send both SMS/MMS and RCS (which is the iMessage equivalent for Android)

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Milk 

The Android stock message app is simply called Messages.

The iMessage equivalent, if you want to call it that, is a setting within messages called Android chat which can be enabled and modified within the message app itself. 

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Milk 

Like @dust2dust I just use whatever stock messaging app that came with my phone(s). Samsung, moto and Google.

Deann
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Some good texting apps that I use are WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram and Viber

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Milk wrote:

Further to my post complaining that   mms-sms  picture and video messaging  is not working for me. Just watching the James Corden  late show  where they were discussing the draw backs and at times late delivery if delivered at all of mms text and picture messaging.

It seems that iMessaging is the best and most reliable choice  . Apparently android users need an additional texting app  in order to ensure their texts are delivered  within a more reasonable , but still mostly late time frame.

So in conclusion it’s not PM ‘s fault and my phone settings are correct.  The problem , in my case anyways , was trying to use mms instead of iMessage in order to save some data.

What texting app should android use?

iMessage requires both user to use iPhones.  That makes it not the best becasue many users can't use it. It also uses data.  Since iMessages uses data, better to use a messaging app that everyone can use.  For real texting, it doesn't matter much which you use. They all work about the same.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I use the bog-standard, factory original, plain vanilla, Samsung messaging app that came with the phone. It's not an additional app. Just like iMessage. It came with the phone.

iMessage includes their own instant messaging system in their messaging app which needs the internet and only between other idevices. It NEEDS to use the standard SMS texting to send anywhere else. The same with MMS. It can send pictures within itself but not to other kinds of phones. It NEEDS to use the standard MMS texting to send pictures to anywhere else.

And of course that sending MMS to other phones NEEDS cell data on.

Need Help? Let's chat.