cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A suggestion

nagyi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Could Management look into the possibility of offering an account that offers texting only i.e. no voice communication and no data, just text? It would be mostly for use by kids and the elderly

13 REPLIES 13

nagyi

That's what we/I have. We just want the option of turning voice completely off, inbound and outbound. We're asking for less, not more

nagyi

As I said elsewhere, this is not about money. I'd gladly keep paying whatever the minimal plan requires. Just give me the option to disable  voice call in and out completely. In fact, I'll pay a premium for the privilege... just as I'd pay the same amount for a car without PS, PB, PW, PM, power seats, infotainment, cameras, moonroof etc.

nagyi

This looks like a 'Rube Goldberg' work-around

nagyi

That's exactly why I'm suggesting that someone offer a text only plan. I'm not asking for more features, but the ability to delete or block a feature, similar to the ability to to block data on Koodo. But I do understand what you're saying. I'm slowly talking myself out of cell phones completely, in fact, I'm generally turning off "technology"

HI @nagyi   With your situation, you have to look into app that can lock down other apps (maybe with password). 

There are definitely apps like that.  Once you found it, then lock down the phone app and the settings screen.  In such case, the phone app is locked and cannot be used, the settings screen is lock so you can disable mobile data before you hand the phone over to your kid.  

Of course, leave the Messaging app there so they can text

If you are technical, you can also disable/delete the phone app completely and leave with the Message app only for text

HI@nagyi  there is no such Text only plan with any Canadian provider

Providers just won't and cannot offer all these different options that everyone hope to get.  

nagyi

This suggestion is not about money. It's about personal choice, ease of use and fewer complications for the elderly and more control over children's access to the internet. I'd gladly keep paying $15 a month for an account on which voice could be disabled (also an account on which data could be disabled at the provider level instead of on the phone). In effect, I want a pager, now that pagers are virtually extinct or a Panic Button that calls a specific personal number instead of an emergency response centre

nagyi

This suggestion is not about money. It's about personal choice, ease of use and fewer complications for the elderly and more control over children's access to the internet. I'd gladly keep paying $15 a month for an account on which voice could be disabled (also an account on which data could disabled at the provider level instead of on the phone). In effect, I want a pager, now that pagers are virtually extinct or a Panic Button that calls a specific personal number instead of an emergency response centre

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @nagyi   just wondering why you want to disable voice?

you worry overage?  there is no overage here with PM.  So, a simply $15 plan has 100 outgoing minutes but you won't got charged and won't be able to make further calls if 100 mins reached

For incoming, you can set Forwarding for ALL to a dummy number so the phone won't get incoming calls

@nagyi  If you have iPhone you can turn calling off check it out 

https://osxdaily.com/2013/05/08/turn-off-phone-calls-keep-data-iphone/

nagyi

Need to prevent voice calls completeely

@nagyi wrote:

Could Management look into the possibility of offering an account that offers texting only i.e. no voice communication and no data, just text? It would be mostly for use by kids and the elderly

I understand that not everyone will have use for certain services, but companies are going to try to collect a certain amount of revenue per plan.  Public Mobile previously had a $10 plan but has since stopped offering it.  The current lowest priced plan is $15, and offering a new plan less expensive than that would go against that trend.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@nagyi closes thing to that now is the $15 plan unlimited text unlimited incoming call and only 100 out go calling solid plan really 

Need Help? Let's chat.