cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is needed for visiting US from Canada

stefdav55
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I will be visiting the US for 10 days and I want to be covered while there. Currently I have the $15 plan with 500 mins from my "one time International long distance bonus". I also have over 2048 MB of 2G data and 200 MB of 3G data. Do I need the 1000 US Long Distance add on and/or the Unlimited US talk, text and 250 MB data plan as well?

Thank you for whatever help you can give me.

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stefdav55 : It's quite remarkable how much the little computer in your hands can be used as a communication device without need of cell service. There's wifi practically everywhere. Talk/text and data on that internet connection. Then go somewhere else and connect again.

Cell service gives you more freedom of movement rather than being tethered to wifi somewhere. That obviously has its value.

stefdav55

Thank you everyone! You have helped me a great deal!!!!!

stefdav55

That is good information. Thankyou so much.

@stefdav55 wrote:

I would be interested to hear of other options. Thanks.

HI @stefdav55   If all you need is phone and text, you can download VoIP app like Fongo or TextNow.  They give you a new number, just like a regular number, and you can text and call for free as long as you have Wifi.  This is Free

Yes, you might want Data.  You might want to buy Prepaid Data SIM in US.  It will give you more data and cheaper than those from roaming add-ons

But you are there for only 10 days, so, buying roaming is not too bad.   If you are there longer than 10 days, definitely local SIM + VoIP number will be cheaper and better and easier

The only advantage for buying local SIM is that you have lots of data and easier to connect.  People have different issue when try to connect roaming there.  if you get local prepaid data sim, even you run into problem, maybe you can seek help from the mobile stores there

stefdav55

Thanks that helps a lot

stefdav55

I would be interested to hear of other options. Thanks.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@stefdav55 

As others have noted that you need Roaming Add-ons for you to use your phone in the US. There are other options if you are interested.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

All you currently have on your account works from Canada only.

To have service in US while PM customer you would need to buy US add-on of your choice:

US Roaming for 10 day packages

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20

Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15

Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8

Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8

U.S. Data Only for 10 day packages

250MB = $10

500MB = $15

1GB = $20

US roaming Talk cannot be stacked. Next one has to be purchased after initial expire but you have to wait 24 hours.

Make sure data roaming is enabled in your phone settings.

Be aware that buying add-on is 2 step process:

Purchasing an add-on after logging in into your PM account is a two-step process. You need to load funds first and then purchase add on.

1. Add funds to your PM account: Any funds to buy add-ons come from your balance, so manually add funds to your available balance first.
  2. Buy Add-On: You will actually buy the add-on after you add funds to your account or else you won't have funds to actually buy the add-on. Funds to buy add-on come from Your account (after adding funds in step #1) and not directly from your credit card.

All countable features will show up on the overview page. Unlimited features show up in Plan Details. ie. roaming talk and text.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/purchase-add-ons-through-611

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/purchase-add-ons-through-self-serve

stefdav55

THANKS!

stefdav55

Thank you!

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@stefdav55 

Your present add ons in your account will not help when you enter the USA.  You will need to purchase a 10 day roaming package.  You will not need the 1000 minutes USA long distance add on (calling from Canada to USA).  

Here is the help article on roaming:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@stefdav55   to use your PM service in US, you will need one of the US Roaming add-on.  Depends on your need, you can buy talk ,text or data.   

Those roaming add-on has a 10 days expiry and start from the moment the purchase is completed.  Make sure you remember buying add-in is a 2 steps process, 1. Load Fund, 2 Go back and Add-on purchase page and pick the add-on  you want

After you bought and when you enter US, manually select either T-Mobile or AT&T and see which network you can connect to or which one works better

Here are your choices of Roaming add-in: 

Spoiler
Bundle - US Roaming - Talk Text (10-day) - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
Bundle - US Roaming - Talk Text 250 Data (10-day) - $20.00 (15 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 1 GB Data (10-day) - $20.00 (15 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 250 MB Data (10-day) - $10.00 (5 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 500 MB Data (10-day) - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
Text - US Roaming - Unlimited Text (10-day) - $8.00 (5 Reward points)
Talk - US Roaming - Unlimited Talk (10-day) - $8.00 (5 Reward points)

Need Help? Let's chat.