cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when I switch from 3g to 4g plan?

YukonCornelius
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Greetings all,

I've had a public plan for years now, never come on here or taken a closer look.

I signed on at 2GB's for $40/mo. Today I see it's somehow up to 5GB's per month (rewards - loyalty?) and I'm not complaining, however, I also see that there's an option to change plans to one with the same monthly cost, *exact same details*, except it's 4g network instead of 3g.

Naturally, I'm intrigued so I click to begin the process but before the final click it warns me, "are you sure you want to do this" etc.

As a technological simpleton I'm afraid of making a foolish error so I've come on here to ask you holders of knowledge, what will happen if I change my plan today? Will my current payment period be cancelled? Will I have to pay a fee to change the plan? Will my phone number change? Will the little 2 or 3 dollar bumps for being a good guy still come every month?

I'm sure there are more questions that could come but basically, I want to know if it's worth it or not. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

-Corn

12 REPLIES 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@YukonCornelius 

So I am going to assume your account has suspended if you were late to top up. To play it safe log in using secret/incognito mode to ensure you are looking at the up to date version of your account. Has your plan updated to the new one? Usually it won't update until it recieves the payment so I would click on change plan on your plans page. If it doesn't prompt you to pay for your new plan but displays the old one then go to the new plan and choose change plan now. It will then direct you to the payment page to pay the difference between the new plan amount and the $22 in your available funds. Add your $40 voucher and download your reciept/invoice. Go back to your account page and see if your account is active and you see your new plan displayed. Sometimes it takes a little while to update but you can also double check your payment history for the transaction which should appear as 30 Day plan/$10 and 15GB at 4G SPEED/$30.

YES...A boy can dream. My neighbour said the same thing he wanted the opportunity to play his poker game whenever he wanted. Sign up for Spotify and play it at work all day long and so on....so I scheduled the change and told him to go nuts! After 3 1/2 weeks he hadn't even used 1gb. In the end after using Spotify for 10 hours at work on the day before renewal his final tally was 1.3gb. I had scheduled him back to the $15 plan already and told him to still go nuts he hasn't touched any of the add on data from the last 4 "more is merrier" campaigns or the other 5gb bonus data add on. He can reconsider if he starts to put a dent in the add ons. You can do the same....test out the new plan for a month and see how much data you actually consume and change plans accordingly (if warranted?) Keep in mind it takes up to 48 hours for your data speed to unthrottle from 3mbps. You have lots of data to do a speed test but they can use up to 400mb per test so don't do that many until day 30 when you may have 12 or 13gb to burn...lol!😄

The new points system....the two major differences when it comes to rewards is instead of $2 autopay you get 5% back in points ($40 plan being the break even point) and loyalty gets reduced from up to $5/30 days or $60/year to 10 points/year=$10. Additionally points must be redeemed for discounted add ons or $15 bill credits rather than $$ being automatically deducted off your plan amount every 30 days at renewal.

I have a Xmas gift for you.....how would you like to earn that $2 autopay reward? Like many others who pay their plan amount without using autopay whether it's a top up payment with their card on file or by voucher, instant top up or entirely covered by rewards you only need a card registered for autopay you don't need to use it nor does the card essentially need to be usable? One of mine is my long expired and reported stolen more than 3 years ago mastercard?!! I have many $0 credit gift cards lying around from an old roommate who couldn't qualify for a credit card. I will happily give you the details of one of the cards that you can add to your account to earn the $2 autopay reward. You continue to pay as you have and if you miss your payment autopay will fail because there are no funds on the card and your account will be suspended. So nothing really changes except you will pay $2 less every 30 days than you do now. Send me a private message if you would like an Xtra Xmas gift this year.😄🎄🎁

YukonCornelius

So this is your job huh?

Amazing response, my goodness. I'm overwhelmed.

Firstly, yes my PM experience has been tubular.

Also fun fact, I'm not on auto pay, I buy a card every month  (I know, I know) and my minutes actually ran out today, Dec 23 midnight. SO if I click change plan at next payment period, then go out and buy my $40 top up card today, will my plan be changed today or will it be changed next month? My account also currently has $22 sitting in there (I blame PM denominations) will that $22 disappear if I change plans? I think you explained this but I didn't understand.

Now, the data... the thing is, I don't even use the 2GB's of data I have now (ever), but that's because I've learned to be crazy stingy with it. Using the maps app to chart a course then turning my data off kind of behavior. Then of course you still make a wrong move somewhere and have to pull over to turn data back on, re map, etc. 

I'm just giving you an idea of the type of cheapness I live with.

I don't want 15GB of data because I NEED it. I want 15 gigs so I can browse spotify ALL D TIME, so I can FaceTime a friend for 2 hours when I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, so I can finally watch that YouTube video when my newest gadget isn't working and so I CAN drive my entire journey with the maps app singing me sweet directions all the way home. This is my dream, darlicious. Can't a boy have a dream?

K but seriously thanks for the response, it's amazing. One last thing, with multiple comments advising against, I have to know... what in the world is this new points system and why do people talk about it like it's going to hijack my soul?

Thanks!

-Cornelius

@Davidpublicmobi- Welcome to the community. A fun fact for you is that there is no option of reward system to sign up in to. It's only the new points system. Then optionally nothing. Other than taking over an old account, no one can get on to the old rewards system.

Davidpublicmobi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Facts

Davidpublicmobi

A typical 3G phone can connect to the internet at a maximum speed of up to 7Mbps, whereas a 4G phone can do so at theoretical maximum real-world speeds of 20-40Mbps. 

PRO TIP: Don't sign up for the new public rewards system. 

@Spuggetabouti1   there is still the $40 for 15GB.  So, depends on the needs, those 2 plans are the best deals at the moment

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@YukonCornelius 

Wow....it took awhile but I guess curiosity finally got the better of you? Well at least you have had trouble free service since you joined or you would have made your way to the community before now? Currently you have the $40/2gb plan with "3G" speed (4G LTE data throttled to 3mbps vs "4G" speed up to 100mbps) which means you likely joined in 2018 or early 2019?

Screenshot_20210924-171016~2.png

Ignore the circled plan it looks like you have the $40/1gb plan+1gb of bonus data=2gb. Just so you know you will lose the 1gb of bonus data if you change plans. 😀😃😄😆😁

Really what you need to ask yourself is how much data do I really need? You have been quite happy with 2gb of 3G data all this time do you really need more data? For that matter do you really need faster data? Sure its nice to have if you tend to use your phone for gaming, streaming movies and the like.....?

So here are all of your options available to you in your self serve account to schedule a change plan on next renewal:

• The $15 plan w/unlimited SMS/MMS texts and incoming minutes+100 outgoing minutes+250mb of "3G" speed data (most users purchase the one time $5/500min add on w/no expiry and rolls over every 30 days until completely consumed to supplement this plan)*Good for low usage users
  • The $25/1gb plan w/unlimited SMS/MMS texts and calling minutes+1gb of "3G" speed data. Good for low data users between 750mb and 1.5gb. The free 2gb holiday add on and the odd 1gb data on purchase to supplement the plan data may be worth saving on the plan cost.**Depending on your data usage you could consider this plan. Save $15/30 days or $180/year vs your $40/2gb plan.
  • The $30/3gb (new) plan w/unlimited SMS/MMS texts and calling minutes+3gb of "3G" speed data. **Great deal for you as it gives you 50% more data than you have now for $10 less per $30 days. Save $10/30 days or $120/year (no change in data speed.)
  • The $35/4.5gb (new) plan w/unlimited SMS/MMS texts and calling minutes+4.5gb of "3G" speed data. **Another option if you think you need the extra data....more than double the amount of 3G speed data you have now and you will still save $5/30days or $60/year.
  • The $40/5gb plan (skip) because right next to it is the $40/15gb plan w/unlimited SMS/MMS texts and calling minutes+15gb of "4G" speed data. (This plan will likely replace the $40/5gb plan as a permanent "in market" plan offer and see the $35 plan have its plan data bump up to 5gb). Pay the same price as you do now but increase your throttled "3G" speed data to "4G" speed and increase your plan data nearly 8 fold to 15gb. Great deal if you'll use the data but if not then you are just wasting the data and your money?!
  • The $45/20gb plan w/unlimited SMS/MMS texts and 20gb of data at "4G" speed. Another great deal but as above....do you need all of that data? Pay $5/30 days or $60/year more than now for 10× the data you currently have now with the faster "4G" speed data.

Of course whatever plan you choose if it's too much data or not enough just scheduled another change plan on next renewal to a new plan. Never choose change plan now or immediately as you will start a new 30 day cycle and forfeit any value left with the old plan as there is no pro-rating or refunds at public mobile.

Did you recieve the text offer from 4911 to reply YES2 to recieve the "more is merrier" holiday gifts of a 2gb bonus data add on and 500 international calling minutes? If not try texting YES2 to 4911. If you do not get a positive reply contact customer support to have them added to your account. You will keep all $$ rewards associated to your account but if you run into any messaging about joining the public points program....DO NOT DO IT!! Or you will regret it.

You may want to check your expiry date of your credit card on file as you may be nearing its expiry and you will need to update it to avoid autopay failing and account suspension. 🤔

YukonCornelius

Wow, you guys...

That took 45 minutes. Last time I was this satisfied, I was signing on with public mobile in the first place!

...*is he a plant*

Spuggetabouti1

@YukonCornelius 

I forgot to mention there is also a Boxing Day plan that is 45$ for 20gb of data a month and that is a much better deal than 40$ for 5gb

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@YukonCornelius make the plan change

the $40-15Gb is a much much better value plan since your have been paying $40

Just one thing, Do NOT choose Change plan now.  Make sure you select Change on renewal date.  If you choose Change plan now, PM will charge you new plan amount and won't refund the unused days of the old plan.  So, make sure you select Change on renewal date.

and no other worry, you won't loss any current rewards and you will be on the same rewards plan you currently on

Spuggetabouti1

@YukonCornelius 

Hello Corn!

Will my current payment period be cancelled? = Your plan will change on your next pay period

Will I have to pay a fee to change the plan? = Nope

Will my phone number change? = Nope

Will the little 2 or 3 dollar bumps for being a good guy still come every month? = That depends on the rewards plan you have (I assume you are with the old system) but you will still receive rewards. I do not have the information on the old plan but I am sure someone else can provide it. 

Kind regards,

Spuggetaboutit

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

There is currently an offer for $40/15GB data for everybody.

Difference 3G vs. 4G will be data speed. Everything else stays the same (unlimited this and that...)

Need Help? Let's chat.