cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to limited data after overage?

Icc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Am I insane? I was specifically told that with public, after you reach the data cap, your speed is simply throttled to 128Kbps. But now I just got a text that my data cap was hit and that I no longer have basic internet access and to spend $15 to get 1Gb of data. 

When did this change occur? Why wasn't anyone told about it? And what are these prices even? 15 for a gig? I literally left my previous big carrier because I wanted something simple, cheap and didn't care for very fast speeds as all I primarily do is browse and email. But now I'm out for work and spent the last 36 hours emailing tons of documents due to spotty hotel wifi and now i can't even send a simple document?

I really, really don't get this. Am I just wrong? Was this never a thing? I have a 3GB plan plus 2GB bonus data for 5GB of both, and pay $30/ month due to an old promo. Like what am i to do here? Can I change to a bigger plan temporarily? Will I lose my 2gb promo if I do that? 

24 REPLIES 24

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Icc 

If you see the same promo on your overview page as below but with 2GB instead of 3GB then that promotion is safe as long as you do not change plans to below $35. If you are out of data then changing your plan to the $70/15.5gb+2gb plan ( if needed) is the best choice for you unless you think purchasing a $15/1gb data add on would suffice until your renewal where could schedule a change plan on next renewal to a larger data plan.

Screenshot_20210816-164900~2.png

There is no prorating but you are only losing the included calling/texting in your plan since you are all out of data and that is the crux of your issue at the moment. You will start a new 30 day plan once you top up and choose change plan now. Your $2 autopay reward will be differed to your next renewal. I suggest you also review your data saving tools in your device and turn on your data saver, set your data warning and limiter to be able to monitor your usage. Turn off all background data as this can waste up to 33% of your mobile data.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Icc : How about the front overview page too. Blank out personal info. When did you activate this plan? You mentioned $30 earlier. This is $35.

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Icc   was that from 2GBBonus ?

Icc

Screenshot_20220223-191107_Samsung Internet.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Icc : So what promo was that? When did you activate? Sounds different. Are you sure it's not a gift data? Again...pics. 🙂 I'm back to maybe YMMV.

Edit: was that an old Quebec competitive plan?

Icc

Oh yeah, it's on the left under my data and add ons. Thanks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Icc : Pictures tell a 1000 words of course but if that box is over on the right side of the overview page then that's likely that promo data. If the data is showing under My Data & Add-ons on the left side then those will not be affected by a plan change.

If on the right then it has been said by an employee here (not just a CSA) that the promo will stay as long as the plan is kept above the threshold. If you discover it gone then I'll find the post from said employee and you can tell the agents that as proof.

Icc

I think so? It just says under my plan "current promotions, then under that header, 2GB data bonus".

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping : The text notifications get sent out when you've reached 75 and 95 of ALL available data buckets. If you have add-on data and you run out of plan data then the text will be sent when you reach 75 or 95 of the plan bucket plus any and all add-on buckets. It adds them all internally and calculates the percentage. I'm 75% confident of that 🙂

The 10 minutes left of limited minutes plans is always and only of the plan minutes. There is no recognition of add-on minutes. 611 usage only gives international minutes left. Not Canada-wide.

Edit: @Icc : If you're out of data and you need it then your options are to ask the CSA's for an early renewal. There is no pro-rating here. You would start the new 30 day plan when you do that.

To be certain of what 2gb promo you're talking about, maybe you could post a screenshot of your overview page. Blank out personal info of course. Promo data buckets are a bit of YMMV...so at your own risk.

Thanks for the info. 👍  Learning new things everyday on this forum.

I am not a heavy data user and I still using the first PM free data add-on from PM a few years ago.  That may be the reason why I do not getting any 75%/95% warning texts with my free data add-ons. 

I am still using my 500 minutes add-on purchased over 3 years ago right after my activation.  I usually get the 75%/95% minutes messages while on my phone.  I found out the extra minutes usage after the call.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Icc : It has been clarified by PM employees that as long as you stay >= the $35 threshold that you would keep that 2gb promo alive. Is this the one with the box to the right side showing that data promo?

Icc

I can't remember, it was a while ago. I could simply be mixing up providers too though and be the one in the wrong. 

As for the 2Gb data I'm referring too, it's the one where I'd you sign used up for the $35 plan, you got 2gb bonus data permanently and 500Mb data with autopay. I'm thinking about jumping to the $70 plan as I'm going to be here for 2 months and the hotel wifi cutting out at times is not a good thing. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Icc 

Who specifically advised you that:

"with public, after you reach the data cap, your speed is simply throttled to 128Kbps"

Inquiring minds would like to know. 

popping

@Icc wrote:

My plan doesn't renew until March 4th. So if I renew now, I'm losing 9 days I already paid for? 

Yes, if you still have lots of your 100 outgoing minutes left in your current cycle.

You can still send MMS message with attached image because data usage for MMS is included in your unlimited text.

You can continue with your current cycle and use free wifi for next 9 days as you are not a heavy data user by selecting the $15 plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping : The text notifications get sent out when you've reached 75 and 95 of ALL available data buckets. If you have add-on data and you run out of plan data then the text will be sent when you reach 75 or 95 of the plan bucket plus any and all add-on buckets. It adds them all internally and calculates the percentage. I'm 75% confident of that 🙂

The 10 minutes left of limited minutes plans is always and only of the plan minutes. There is no recognition of add-on minutes. 611 usage only gives international minutes left. Not Canada-wide.

Edit: @Icc : If you're out of data and you need it then your options are to ask the CSA's for an early renewal or buy add-ons. There is no pro-rating here. You would start the new 30 day plan when you do that.

To be certain of what 2gb promo you're talking about, maybe you could post a screenshot of your overview page. Blank out personal info of course. Promo data buckets are a bit of YMMV...so at your own risk. This is the last option for you...to change plans at your next renewal. But that could be risky.

Icc

My plan doesn't renew until March 4th. So if I renew now, I'm losing 9 days I already paid for? Also if I change my plan,  will I lose my 2gb bonus or not? Getting conflicting information here. 

popping

@Yummy wrote:

@popping wrote:

I prefer the free add-ons than capped at very low speed after using all plan data before end of the current cycle.  I don't want to go back to the data speed from the dial-up modem speed...

What I would really like to see is notification regarding reaching plan's data allotment and notification reaching add-on data allotment.

Sometimes you want to use your plan's data completely but do not want to touch add-on. How do you control that? To my understanding as soon as your plan's data goes to 0 add-on kicks in and you just continue 'internet'.

PM send us text message at 75%/95% data usage.  It does not warn us on the data add-ons usage in your account.  This applies to minutes add-on too.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Text-Notifications-at-75-and-95-for-data-...

@popping wrote:

I prefer the free add-ons than capped at very low speed after using all plan data before end of the current cycle.  I don't want to go back to the data speed from the dial-up modem speed...

What I would really like to see is notification regarding reaching plan's data allotment and notification reaching add-on data allotment.

Sometimes you want to use your plan's data completely but do not want to touch add-on. How do you control that? To my understanding as soon as your plan's data goes to 0 add-on kicks in and you just continue 'internet'.

popping

PM usually treats members with free data and minutes add-ons during Christmas holiday. YMMV

Options to get more data:
1. If your current data limit does not meet your 30 days' need, you may change a plan with more data. You can do the plan from from self-serve. You get your data back immediately with plan change. Login to your account. Select the Plan and add-ons tab and click on the Change Plan button.
2. If you want to renew the same plan early, you need to create a CSA support ticket using the Chat button at the bottom right corner.  CSA wait time is couple hours to 2 days. If your next renewal date is up to 2 days away, you may just on data diet for a few days until after renewal.
3. You can buy data add-ons $15 1GB data or $5 200MB data. Expensive option. This is a good option if you need a small amount of data occasionally. Data add-on does not have expiry date. Unused add-on data will be rolled over to next cycle.

Please note that there is no refund of the unused days of your current billing cycle if (option 2) you renew your plan early with CSA assistant or (option 1) change plan now.

@hTideGnow wrote:

The one that will throttled to 128Kbps is Lucky Mobile, I think.

If you make the change, since you are out of data now, you might want to choose "Change Now" to start a new cycle now and get the data working again.  After you clicked Change Now when you request the plan change, reboot the phone to have it take effect

I would not even think of sending documents over 128Kbps.

As for changing plan Now imagine OP just renewed his plan 2 days ago, paid $30, used all data and he changes to one up and pays full price of a new plan he does not need but just for data? It would cost more than add-on.

Just buy add-on or find another more reliable free WiFi.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Icc   There is no overage here with PM, once you reached your max data, your data will stop working.

The one that will throttled to 128Kbps is Lucky Mobile, I think.

Yes, you can change to a higher plan without worry to loss the 2GB bonus.  

If you make the change, since you are out of data now, you might want to choose "Change Now" to start a new cycle now and get the data working again.  After you clicked Change Now when you request the plan change, reboot the phone to have it take effect

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Icc hi  I can't say if you are insane or not but that has never been a policy here sorry😜 also if you are in a bind you can buy an add on if it's an emergency 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

You can change your plan up/down Immediately (not recommended as you would pay for 2 plans) or you can schedule plan change at next renewal.

Change will become permanent until you change plan again. PM has no temporary plan change just to gain more data.

If you desperately need more data, you can buy Canadian data add-on - $15 for 1GB.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@Icc  And YES if you change your plan you will loose the 2 Gb promotion.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Somebody provided you with incorrect info.

PM does not throttle Internet when you reach your data allocation.

Your internet just Stops! No extra charges and no Internet until next renewal when your plan's data are reset.

You can always buy data add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.