cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE not working even though it's been turned on (and phone is compatible)

DRoadRunner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have a phone with a Canada/US Public mobile calling plan. It is VoLTE compatible and works on all the radio frequencies for both public mobile AND T-Mobile/AT&T (US partners for Public Mobile). 

I have been able to sense SMS messages from the states (although they don't send right away they go through an error message before they send), and make calls from the states but only while connected to wifi, and even then it's spotty at best. 

I have done the whole *#*#4636#*#* -> Phone Info and have checked the VoLTE provisioning is toggled ON for BOTH public mobile AND the US Carriers. 

This now seems like a carrier-side issue. Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

16 REPLIES 16

TwitchyPuppy

Yeah, there's something wonky. 

Personally, I'm on 5G and it switches to 3G when I make or receive calls. Data works, not SMS nor iMessage (constantly spinning). Phone is an iPhone 15 Pro Max, so it's not a compatibility issue.

DRoadRunner

When a carrier has it on it's list - it means that it works on it's radio frequencies so "It is VoLTE compatible and works on all the radio frequencies for both public mobile AND T-Mobile/AT&T (US partners for Public Mobile). " covers all that. 

I also typed "I have done the whole *#*#4636#*#* -> Phone Info and have checked the VoLTE provisioning is toggled ON for BOTH public mobile AND the US Carriers." so that should answer your new question.

@DRoadRunner  You didn't explicitly say it was on AT&T's list, just said it works which it clearly doesn't, and the reason I am asking these questions is because I had an Android phone on a Canadian carrier (not Telus group) that was VoLTE capable and VoLTE was turned on but after working for quite some time it suddenly didn't.  The manufacturer said it was a carrier problem and the carrier said it was a manufacturer problem. 

I will assume that you did the VoLTE test while still in Canada to make sure VoLTE was actually working and not dropping to 3G here.

DRoadRunner

Yes - I wrote that in my original post - If you could please read it because you've asked multiple questions already answered by it eg - the title of the post is that my phone is VoLTE compatible and you've already made the assumption earlier that it might not be.

@DRoadRunner   Is it on AT&T's VoLTE list (sometimes depends on model number)

https://www.att.com/scmsassets/support/wireless/devices-working-on-att-network.pdf 

DRoadRunner

Yes it works in Canada just fine, but once I cross the boarder it goes to hell

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@DRoadRunner   Did everything work with this phone when you were still in Canada?  

DRoadRunner

I have actually already tested in multiple locations, still not working

DRoadRunner

This phone is on the list - I have been tackling this issue for months now so that's why I did ALL the checking before buying this new phone. I have confirmed both from the manufacturer that it is VoLTE compatible AND found the toggle button and turned it on. 

I have no option to connect to 2G which makes sense because I am supposed to be using VoLTE for this anyways.

@DRoadRunner  Is your phone on PM's VoLTE list, here"

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

T-Mobile still has 2G, it's the only option where it still exists for phones that aren't compatible/enabled for VoLTE.  Switching to T-Mobile's 2G has worked for other people who have had difficulty with US roaming.

BTW how are you making calls on wifi since PM doesn't  have wifi calling?

@DRoadRunner  No I meant to say 2G you say your phone has voLTE but for those that don’t have  to rely on T mobile 2G for voice . But if you infact have voLTE support from PM then it should work on LTE . Might just be your location at the moment all can do is test in another area.

DRoadRunner

there is no 2G option - plus this is supposed to be a VoLTE/4G plan..... I'm pretty sure 2G doesn't exist anymore, also the 3G towers for this functionality have been taken down (in case you mistyped 3G). Even Public Mobile support has been focusing solely on VoLTE for this issue before with me.

@DRoadRunner for voice you can also try phone set to 2G and connect to T mobile 

DRoadRunner

Data roaming is on and I have LTE/4G selected, connected to T-Mobile (or AT&T) still doesn't work

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@DRoadRunner  And you have data roaming turned on in phone settings ?? Try phone set to 4G/LTE and connect to T mobile or AT&T see if that helps

DRoadRunner

I also want to clarify that I can send SMS but NOT MMS - meaning data isn't working either

Need Help? Let's chat.