cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE is now working!

Fred54
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I noticed a few days ago that the VoLTE icon on my phone is now lit, it really seems to be the right feature, I can go in the setting to enable/disable and it toggles fine, I made a call and it worked.

So it seems VoLTE is being phased on, can anyone confirm?

105 REPLIES 105

@sheytoon pretty sure yes...

And I wonder if they are really turning on VoLTE now, or just they were testing, failed (the voice trouble) and  if they will turn it back off now

I'm in Toronto. I wonder if all the recent voice call issues were caused by VoLTE enablement...

Where are you located?

@softech haha no not yet. But I'm happy for Fred. Let me do a few tests and report back.

@sheytoon  you got it?  I don't  😞    The option is there, but I keep making calls last 2 days and I only see 3G  😞

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

WOOHOO, FINALLY!!!!

@softech wrote:

To help to confirm if you are using LTE or 3G, and if you are Samsung user, download Good Lock and then download Quick Star from Quick Lock all.  Please note not all Samsung devices support **bleep** Lock

For network connectivity app, I use network cell info lite.  I also get various geeky data about the cell tower location, etc.  It has 5M+ downloads, so it is pretty popular.  

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en_CA&gl=US

To help to confirm if you are using LTE or 3G, and if you are Samsung user, download Good Lock and then download Quick Star from Quick Lock all.  Please note not all Samsung devices support **bleep** Lock

@computergeek541- My Android just shows bars. When I turn on cell data I get a little 4G+ next to the bars. This could be a capital H if it's only finding HSPA data (or set to 3G). Not sure about the +.

For my US service in the US that uses volte, I do not turn on cell data. I make a call. Nothing on the top bar indicates anything special happening. It's only in the about sim info I listed earlier that I can tell that it's using LTE.

For here and 3G, if the bars are not full while it's waiting on LTE then when a call happens, the bars jump up to indicate that the old 3G happens to have better reception and that about area shows UMTS. (GSM in the US when using talk roaming or even dialing 611 without roaming...last I looked just yesterday morning).

But I have no experience with an iphone with any of this.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dust2dust 

On an iPhone, the device will inform the user next to the.signal about the type of network connected to (as long as data is enabled).  Assuming that Wi-Fi is turned off, there will be an LTE indicator at the top of screen for during any VoLTE call.  This also applies for Android devices.

The reason why on some devices turning off WiFi is needed to see the LTE notification is that the WiFi icon takes up the space that would otherwise be used to indicate the mobile network type.  On android pulling up the SIM status tab will show both mobile voice network type and mobile data network type.  During a call, checking the SIM status tab is another way of confirming VoLTE by way of the mobile voice network type remaining on LTE.  I am going to guess that iOS probably has a similar display hidden in the menus somewhere.  So it looks like a rollout is happening out west.  

@dust2dust 

On an iPhone, the device will inform the user next to the.signal about the type of network connected to (as long as data is enabled).  Assuming that Wi-Fi is turned off, there will be an LTE indicator at the top of screen for during any VoLTE call.  This also applies for Android devices.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I'm not entirely convinced with these findings. What matters is what action the phone does when on a call. I don't know how to see that on an iphone other than bars of reception jumping up.

Mine does not work 🙄

Same i have to turn off wifi to be able to see what I'm connected to. Or use my Signal Spy app. 

Pop_Eye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ok. Was out and about today. 

LTE only shows when data is on and wifi is off. 

Maple Ridge = LTE

Pitt Meadows = LTE

Port Coquitlam = LTE

A M A Z I N G !  Thanks PM!!

Pop_Eye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Here is the iPhone set up. I am in Pitt Meadows BC and just rebooted my iPhone XR that is set on LTE. It does not say 3G or LTE on the screen. But, depending where I am it often shows as LTE and that has been happening for a loooooong time...not "just now". But to be honest I have no idea if LTE showed because I was connected to LTE or was just because my phone was set on LTE. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 8.58.36 AM.png

I would expect so. I certainly hope so! I'll will be able to test it mid-May, but i may even take a quick trip down in the next couple weeks to test it out. 

@smp99- I left the US Tuesday afternoon right around all these discoveries. One phone had talk/text. Went in and out of airplane mode. No volte setting and changed to 3G for a call. The other phone without volte on this sim did not also. In Richmond now, no volte.

My Red Pocket vowifi says T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling where the provider name gets shown. And it works here. Talk and text...obviously when on the internet. It uses the limited minutes and texts.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I wonder if this means it works in the States now.....  even if your area has not upgraded

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Fred54 

Thanks for the heads up! I just checked and it's working on my Google Pixel 4. Stays on LTE when making a call. Currently on the island.

@computergeek541  tried that, showing change to 3G when voice calls made.

So  it works for you??

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Woohoo my Pixel 5a in Vancouver area is now sticking on LTE when I make a call!!! i didn't have to change any settings. Thanks for the heads up OP!

whyveeare
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It just happened on its own.  I don’t know when it started working.   Just happened to notice it now.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Android: when actively on a call - settings, about, status information, sim card status - mobile voice network type

UMTS =3G

LTE=VoLTE

@gpixel wrote:

@will13am 

the option will be visible once volte is enabled in your area. 

I have the VoLTE option on the settings menu.  Turning it on doesn't do anything.  The 4G will change to 3G when in a call. 

Screenshot_20230307-191612.png

@whyveeare wrote:

I can confirm that VoLTE is working for me too.  Whenever I make a call, it stays on LTE now.  Doesn’t drop down to 3G anymore.  I’m in the Vancouver area using an iPhone XR.  Still no option to enable/disable VoLTE in my settings though.  At least not yet.  Maybe in the next carrier profile update (53.0 currently).

Good news indeed 😀

Did you need to takes steps to enable it or did it happen on its own?

whyveeare
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I can confirm that VoLTE is working for me too.  Whenever I make a call, it stays on LTE now.  Doesn’t drop down to 3G anymore.  I’m in the Vancouver area using an iPhone XR.  Still no option to enable/disable VoLTE in my settings though.  At least not yet.  Maybe in the next carrier profile update (53.0 currently).

Good news indeed 😀

@softech wrote:

I think I see the option Use VolTE is possible now, but I don't know if VoLTE is actually being used.  My Status bar does not show the network type currently using...

update: Pretty sure it is not VoLTE yet, I see the signal bars dropped from 5 to 3 , then change it back to 5 after the call ends 

Turn your Wi-Fi off.  If you make a call and the network indicator stays on LTE, the VoLTE feature is working for you.

@gpixel it is visible but not functioning 😞

install the app the show the network usedz clearly showing 3G on Voice 

@will13am 

the option will be visible once volte is enabled in your area. 

Need Help? Let's chat.