cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited data clarification - 5G plans while outside 5G coverage area?

PHenry
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's great that the 5G plans now have unlimited data, and 512 KBPS isn't actually that bad so I was excited to get this for both myself and my parents.

However, I had one question that doesn't seem to have a clear answer maybe somebody here can help me... My parents do not live in an area within Telus's 5G coverage area, but I signed them up for the 5G deal anyway because it's the same price and of course it has unlimited throttled data.

For people who have the 5G plan but are utilizing the service outside the 5G coverage area and therefore are defaulting down to 4G, will they still get the unlimited 512 KBPS data after their main data expires?? Or will they have to travel to a 5G coverage area to utilize that?

8 REPLIES 8

Thanks for your insights, @sheytoon !

PM's 5G is 100% non standalone (NSA), and indeed it needs 4G.

I think @wetcoaster covered the reasons, it's mainly lack of 5G hardware deployed at the base stations.

Frequency is a bit of a red herring. 4G and 5G can operate on the same frequencies. Telus for example has n71 (700 MHz), n66 (2100 MHz), and n78 (3500 MHz) deployed for 5G. Higher frequency have less range but it's not a limitation of 5G itself.

@PHenry wrote:

Thanks for that thorough answer. I am just curious then, if it's nothing but a marketing schtick then why is the 5G "coverage area" so much more limited in scope than 4G? Is it just because those towers in the "5G" regions have more bandwidth capacity so as to be able to provide the 250mbps?

The 250mbps, as well as the 4G 100mbps (and the 3G 3mbps), are an artificial speed limit that Public Mobile sets to be able to tell you that the higher speed is wayyyyyyyyyy better, in order to sell you a (potentially) more expensive plan. The throttle is also a tool to make the distinction between the three tiers of the Telus group - if you want higher speed than the 250mbps you'll have to go with the parent company. 

Personally, I don't feel a performance difference between the two speeds (they both are very likely delivered over 4G anyway where I live) - and I don't need the bragging rights that come from doing speed tests (which can easily use up half a gig per test). I'm also mindful that there are many factors that influence said performance, like distance from the tower, how many other people are using their data at the same time and so on.

There are people that are way better equipped to explain the exact technical differences of the various 5G gear on your cell tower ( @sheytoon ?). Reasons for smaller 5G coverage that I as a layperson can think of (and I'm happy to be corrected by the experts):

- Rolling out 5G gear is still work in progress

- 5G frequencies don't have the same range (and building penetration?) as 4G/LTE, so more, closer spaced hardware needed to cover the same area as 4G.

- my understanding is that some 5G technology needs the 4G base, so not all 5G antennas work in a stand-alone fashion

PHenry

Thanks for that thorough answer. I am just curious then, if it's nothing but a marketing schtick then why is the 5G "coverage area" so much more limited in scope than 4G? Is it just because those towers in the "5G" regions have more bandwidth capacity so as to be able to provide the 250mbps?

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@PHenry wrote:

However, I had one question that doesn't seem to have a clear answer maybe somebody here can help me... My parents do not live in an area within Telus's 5G coverage area, but I signed them up for the 5G deal anyway because it's the same price and of course it has unlimited throttled data.

How much data do you all get on your plan? There have been increases several times over the last week, so if you're not getting the current amounts, consider booking at change *at next renewal date* to something more generous (or cheaper, if you can get same data for less). Outside QC, current offers are $34/40GB, $40/50GB, $50/60GB, or ($65/60GB/30days or $180/180GB/90days) with US roaming. For QC customers, the same but also $45/50GB/30days or $120/150GB/90days including US roaming.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@PHenry wrote:

It's great that the 5G plans now have unlimited data, and 512 KBPS isn't actually that bad so I was excited to get this for both myself and my parents.

For people who have the 5G plan but are utilizing the service outside the 5G coverage area and therefore are defaulting down to 4G, will they still get the unlimited 512 KBPS data after their main data expires?? Or will they have to travel to a 5G coverage area to utilize that?

5G, 4G, 3G designations on a plan are a marketing schtick and referring to the speed throttle (up to 250mbps, 100mbps and 3mbps respectively). All plans have access to all technology as long as your phone settings are allowing it. Ie if your phone is only 4G/LTE capable, you can still get up to 250mbps. If you are on a 3G plan your 5G phone might connect to a 5G tower, but the thoroughput is capped at 3mbps... etc.

The 512kbps throttle will work on any available network connection. It's enough for e-mail and messenger, but loading any more data intensive task will be painfully slow. I saw a post yesterday from someone who burnt through their main data bucket and got a text offer for an add-on to resume fast speeds... Doesn't look very economic ($40 for 4GB) so changing to a plan with more suitable data bucket would be the way to go. Specially with the amazing offers we have right now.

ETA: took a bit (search function here is finicky...) but I think this is the thread about add-on SMS I saw.

sarah3339
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think that if you are having trouble receiving 5g signal you can switch settings in your phone to receive 4g instead. this is typically needed in rural areas

Tmoney

They will still get the data after the initial bucket is used at 512 kbps, regardless of where they are in the network, or if they are connected to a 5G singal or a 4G LTE signal.

Need Help? Let's chat.