cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming add-on

Ward2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I've just purchased the US Roaming add-on (talk/text 15 days, no data). I'm wondering if I have to change anything on the phone to allow roaming calls? Also, are MMS texts included, or do they need data?

9 REPLIES 9

Don't bother with 3G WCDMA, it won't work at all in the states. My phone will automatically drop to 2G GSM. But I experienced a location where I had to do it manually.
Mms in Canada does not use data. But Mms isn't part of the roaming deal. But please do verify that for us. I doubt it. But I've been wrong before. It won't cost anything to try. So you could turn on roaming data, turn on cell data, send an mms and see what happens. It's been a while but I don't think it worked for me.

The whole thing with volte is whether talk will work. Your phone needs to have been enabled here for volte. There are things to do to verify whether you have been enabled.

Ward2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks everyone for your help. My phone supports 2G thru 5G and switches automatically. I subscribed to Public Mobile after Feb 22, 2023, so I think it should work. If there are problems I can select 2G or 3G and the T-Mobile network. Will13am, you mentioned that MMS uses unmetered data, but all my investigations show that any data used comes out of your data plan, suggesting that it uses metered data... i.e. roaming data in the US, since I don't have a US data roaming add-on. So, I think I'll keep data roaming turned off.

Hopefully it all works out; I'll know day after tomorrow!

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Mms needs cellular data. Yes is your phone enabled for volte? No you don't need to turn on roaming data when you don't buy data.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Ward2 when in the US make sure to turn roaming data on.  MMS is included and requires roaming data to be turn on. MMS uses unmetered mobile data. 

maple_leaf
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hello @Ward2 , I've included a link below for U.S. Roaming troubleshooting. SMS does not require an internet connection, whereas MMS relies on a data connection for media transmission. I would leave your phone's network settings on 'Automatic' (so as to pick up either the AT&T or T-Mobile Network), but make sure 'Roaming' is toggled in the 'on' position. Have a safe trip!

U.S. Roaming Troubleshooting:
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming-troubleshooting

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Sorry I forgot to add. With regards to MMS messages working without a data package.... that one I don't think will work but not 100% sure.

EDIT: According to @softech from an early post this year... here is his response. 

first are you connected to T-Mobile? you need T-Moblie for it to work. You can connect to LTE for SM... 

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ward2 

Based on the add-on you selected talk and text so texting and phone calls will be included for you. As long as they are normal text messages and not iMessage or WhatsApp your add-on will work as you don’t have data. 

Make sure roaming is on, and check to see what carrier you connect to. T-Mobile has been the most successful for most. AT&T has been reported to work for some. Biggest thing will be if your phone supports VoLTE. If you make a phone call without wifi on you should see LTE. If you do then you have a supported device and should be good. Otherwise you might have to switch your data over to 2G/3G for calls. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Ward2  You just need to make sure your connected to T mobile or AT&T

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

With regards to doing anything when you get into the US, it never hurts to do a phone reboot while you're down there just so it properly connects to the networks down there.

Need Help? Let's chat.