cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming Network Question.

Mohawk44
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In NY state I always have issues when roaming on AT&T. Can never get my data to work when I need it. Indoors is a new issue. T-mobile works no problem. Have to switch it manually to T-Mobile as it seems to prefer AT&T. I’m using an iPhone SE 2022. Does anyone else have issues when connected to AT&T? I know it’s not a network issue because my family that lives in the US use AT&T. Makes me wonder if it’s that issue of that AT&T in the past would restrict import devices from using their network. 

8 REPLIES 8

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

This doesn't sound like a VoLTE issue, it sounds like they were using AT&T 5G which I can say from experience does not work right now. AT&T 4G works, and T-Mobile 4G and 5G work; it's best to set your phone to 4G/LTE preferred when roaming and you should have a more seamless experience.

Mohawk44

Data roaming is turned on. Everything works perfectly with T-Mobile. 

Mohawk44

Will do that as when I travel to the US,the rural parts of NY state tend to prefer AT&T. Guess I need to try that. 

@SteveKincade   T-Mobile shut down their 3G last year, the only non-VoLTE option now is T-Mobile's 2G.  PM doesn't offer wi-fi calling.

SteveKincade
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It is all connected to the switchover and the US removing the 3G networks. If your phone supports VoLTE, then you should have no issues, but right now T-Mobile is the only US carrier left that still supports 3G. Hope this helps. It does not help you today and the only way to solve the issue if go to a newer phone. I.e. has WiFi Calling to make the search easier.

Mohawk44

Yes I keep it set to 5G. Guess next time I’m across the border will have to try LTE on AT&T. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Mohawk44  Best to leave your phone set to LTE and both T mobile and AT&T are the only options to use . If you find your having issues with voice try phone set to 2G and connect to T mobile . And of course make sure you have data roaming turned on in phone settings 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Mohawk44   iPhone SE 2022 can get 5G, is your phone set to 5G?  If so drop it down to LTE and see if that works better, especially for AT&T which seems to have a problem with 5G roaming from PM

Need Help? Let's chat.