cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to EU - need to receive texts/calls

Mr_Money_Socks
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In July, I am travelling throughout the EU. I need to receive text/calls, especially texts to access banking etc. 

On my subscription page I have this statement: 

• Unlimited Canada-US wide minutes and messaging plus unlimited international text and picture messaging++

Sadly, there is nowhere to see the ++ details.

When I go to this page: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/plans?network=5G. The ++ states: 

"++ Calls to 411, 511, Reedly, California (559-726-XXXX), Carroll, Iowa (712-775-XXXX), Lake Park, Iowa (712-432-XXXX), Charles City, lowa (641-552-XXXX), Pine Ridge, South Dakota (605-562-XXXX), Redfield,South Dakota (605-475-XXXX), and Fort Thompsons, South Dakota (605-477-XXXX) are not included."

Will I be able to receive calls in these countries (e.g. from a local restaurant or store? From a Canadian Business?) or other EU countries? Will I be able to receive texts, for example from my Canadian Bank? 

My assumption at the moment is that while I am in the EU, I will be able to receive texts from Canadian and EU numbers, and possibly calls from Canadian numbers. 

9 REPLIES 9

Electro_Mac
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’ve been looking at Tello they have calls and SMS over wifi…You can register from outside US  and get eSIM and pick  US number.  I’m sure CDN banks allow US numbers for 2FA.  They also have cheap plans starting at 5/Us a month with 100 minutes calling and texting.  Then you just need data travel sim.  Might be worth looking at.  And they have free calling to 60 countries as well.

ezl007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Mr_Money_Socks   If it is extremely important, you may want to consider paying for a reliable second phone number to receive calls and texts while travelling.    Get an EU sim, the second phone number would take care of everything.

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The international texting is for sending texts to other countries from inside Canada and the US (with an appropriate plan like yours or an add-on).

hi @Mr_Money_Socks 

yes, the International text is only for use when you are in Canada, those are not roaming text

Mr_Money_Socks
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you - so I would need to be in Canada/US to do any of this international texting that is suggested. 

@Mr_Money_Socks 

Unfortunately, Public mobile does not offer international country roaming except for the United States.  Your PM service will not work while traveling in Europe.  That is one major drawback with tier 3 mobile company like PM.  

If you really need international roaming, you would need to move to another mobile provider.  

Some banks (like TD) offers an authorization App to login to your account while abroad. 

You can also purchase a domestic SIM card while traveling, but your PM Canadian number will not work in this case. 

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

No. PM service is available only in the US and Canada.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI  @Mr_Money_Socks 

you can't

PM does not have roaming service other than US.  So, there is no way you can get voice and text on your phone number when you are there

Only way is to get a VoIP app , like Fongo.  , then you can receive calls and texst on the number provided by the VoIP app 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Mr_Money_Socks 

you'll only have service with PM whilst in Canada and US (with add-on or plan)...no other country.

Need Help? Let's chat.