cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring from physical sim to eSIM outside of Canada

Jqnice
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I want to transfer my physical sim to an eSIM but I am in the USA, meaning I am not on Public’s native network.  Will this still work? 

13 REPLIES 13

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Jqnice  As @BKNS27 said, the Canadian version can take a physical sim, the price is from $1749 (Cdn) at the Apple Store and $1739 unlocked at Costco.  But looking at rhe current currency exchange it may be cheaper in the US although sacrificing the physical sim slot.

@Jqnice 

It sounds like an American version of the iPhone 15 Pro Max. The Canadian version will have both SIM and eSIM.

I compared the American price vs the Canadian price for my iPhone 14 Pro Max at both Costco and it was cheaper getting it at the Canadian Costco including taxes. Plus warranty can be done at the Apple Genius Store in Canada.

@Jqnice 

engage by open ticket with PM support:

1. Open ticket via Chatbot (need access to My Account): At https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html
    Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", then "Other", then "Log In", finally click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗
2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 
       https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437
**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after ticket submitted, CS Agent will reply to you there         

Jqnice

How do you get access to an agent? 

Jqnice

Oh okay so that’s a huge risk I don’t know if I can take. The iPhone 15 pro does not have a physical slim slot 

@Jqnice the risk you have is not whether you can activate eSIM while you are in US, but more we have seem that PM sometimes have trouble activating eSIM on an eSIM  compatible device  and agent cannot resolve the issue and need to ask subscribers to change back to physical 

Jqnice

I am currently on the Canada us roam plan

Jqnice

I want to get the iPhone 15 pro max and it does not have a physical sim slot 

@Jqnice honest, I didnt try it myself, But you don't need to be on the network to activate the sim (but of course you need to be able to roam to test)

So, you lost the physical sim?? or you just need the physical slot??

Jqnice

I want to get the iPhone 15 Max Pro and it does not allow physical sims.

fixin
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jqnice - I highly advise against switching from a physical SIM to an eSIM because of numerous things like getting a new phone that it cannot be transferred, but it will work in the USA since there is roaming partners to switch over to while in the USA till you are back in Canada as well, here is how to do it:

1. Download the Public Mobile app
  2. Login to 'My Account' on the app
  3. Click the '+' in the bottom left corner
  4. Press on 'Subscriptions & add-ons'
  5. Then scroll down till you see 'Shop SIM card' then press on it & choose eSIM.

Jqnice

I do have the Canada US plan. Confirming you are sure this transfer will work if I am outside of Canada on a different network? Asking because I cannot afford to have my number down. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Jqnice it will, but you need to have.US roaming or Camada-US plan to test the eSIM

To change to eSIM, First, download the app on your new phone, click   or    at the bottom left to bring up the menu and go to Subscription & Add-on page, scroll down to the bottom and click Shop SIM Card Now.  You can buy and install eSIM from there

Need Help? Let's chat.