cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To keep the existing Publicmobile account active with a new # and port current # to another provider

akkerala
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I was wondering how it works if I want to keep the existing Publicmobile account active with a new # and port current # to another provider. Thanks in advance for any helpful information in this regard..

Additional notes: The existing phone # (the one currently with Publicmobile) has been with me for over 6 years now and I would always want to keep it as my primary #. The difficulties I had to face with Publicmobile while being on international travels, in addition to poor coverage in my area (North Perth - N4W xxx) and extremely slow internet speeds has forced me to switch to another service provider (Telus/Koodo excluded as they're on the same network). At the same time, I don't want to loose the loyalty perks on my existing public mobile account, if in case I decide to switch back to Publicmobile, say after a couple months of trying with some other service provider.

8 REPLIES 8

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@akkerala 

That is mostly correct with the exception of 3.) Provider A accepts the porting request after receiving authorization by the customer. If provider A is a prepaid account once the request is accepted the phone number is released to provider B and the account is automatically closed. If provider A or the customer has a postpaid account and has previously arranged (or contacts the provider A immediately after porting to reopen the postpaid account) to assign a new number to the account then the account will not be closed.

So contacting provider A to see if they are willing to open a new account and transfer the existing account and provision a new sim card to the new account to keep the existing customer is possible. But by design prepaid accounts do automatically close so the extra step is necessary vs a postpaid account.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

akkerala
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As per my understanding, porting from between two service providers happens in four steps:
1) A new account is opened and a porting request is made by the subscriber to another service provider, say B
2) B opens a new account for the subscriber and the porting request is processed/forwarded to the subscriber's current service provider, say A

3) The porting request is accepted by B and acknowledged back to A; subsequently the subscriber's account with A is closed
4) B assigns/activates the ported number on subscriber's new account

Since step 3 is entirely within the control of A, it's at A's discretion whether to assign a new number on the subscriber's existing account with A, if they want the subscriber with so many years of loyalty to stay with them or otherwise to loose him forever. So I believe it's entirely at Publicmobile's discretion whether they want me to stay or to leave!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@akkerala 

As mentioned there is a small chance of doing this even if it is to a non telus provider. It is very YMMV. If you get an accommodating CSA ( preferably a senior one) and your reason is compelling enough they may grant the request despite it being against company policy. Be prepared for a "no" but hope for the best a "yes"! 

If and it's a big if then you will be required to supply the CSA with a the SIM card # from a newly purchased unactivated sim card that they will transfer your current account and rewards, add ons etc....to and assign a new phone # to that account. You will then be able to port out the existing phone # to a new provider.

Check your private messages as I will send you some additional info.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@akkerala    There is a small chance you maybe able to do that if you are porting your PM number to either Telus or Koodo and this would require that you contact customer support for this request.  However, this is very much a YMMV scenario.

If your are porting out to one of the above then submit a ticket via chatbot here:   https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

Second option is to send a private message to CS_Agent here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@akkerala    Just read your recently added notes.   I'd think you should do as advised by @BeachNBeer  and open the new account with a new number.   You'd certainly want to hang onto the PM rewards as a longtime customer, especially since those rewards are no longer available to new customers and all existing customers have been grandfathered in.

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @akkerala 

no option to do that, when you transferred out your account will be immediately close.

so why not you getting another new line new number with PM,

or if want from another provider get new number from them for free.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@akkerala You may want to consider just getting a new number with other provider and leaving your PM number as it is. If you want to keep your rewards. Once you port out account is gone and you have to start brand new with a new sim. Which means you'd be on the new point system that is not as much of a discount as the old rewards program.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@akkerala you cannot port out your number and keep your current PM account with another number after

Once number is ported, account closed immediately.. If you choose your new number first, your current old number with be gone

There is no way to do what you try to do 

Need Help? Let's chat.