cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messaging in US

Krist8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am in US. Can I receive text messages from either Canada or US?  I just need to see the incoming messages,  

14 REPLIES 14

Krist8

Thank you all for your help. I asked my friend to text me, and I can receive it. I originally use a PIranha sim, and it did not work. So, I can indeed get incoming text which is helpful. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkman 

I just explain to OP because the confused when reading from another poster or i don't know where the see it can do text without buy it Add-ons..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkman : I'm not sure "official" enters into it. The fact that the welcome to the US text comes in implies that you can receive a text. Also...at the end of this page makes it official.

Look @Anonymous : I even tagged and corrected an Oracle. You're not the only one I might correct.

@Krist8 wrote:

I tried T-mobile and AT&T, both did not receive text.  You might be right that they have fixed the glitch. 

Your Public Mobile sim needs to be in the phone for you to be able to receive SMS without the roaming add-on.

Previous to covid, we could read texts but not send 'em. Maybe that's changed.

@Krist8   unless you really need the incoming text on your PM number (like for 2FA), consider using VoIP app TextNow and give your family and friend your new Textnow number while you are in US.  . You can send and receive text with textNow number.  Just need a Wifi and you can use the app.  

@Anonymous wrote:

@Krist8 wrote:

Yes, I thought I saw somewhere that I can receive incoming text without buying add-on. I tested it by sending a text from a 289(Hamilton in Ontario) to my PM number, but it does not work.  

@Krist8 

you can't sending a text to any customer without buying Add-ons , only some customer getting the text from public mobile SMS and the number is  491-1 

to Reply YES ... for existing customer; how redeem holiday gifts,

1. Between December 1st - 15th, we’ll send you a text message with your holiday gifts. 
  2. To redeem them, just reply “YES” and your free data and international minutes will be automatically applied to your account. 

not a customer yet  visit here link

but for personal use you have to buy it Add-ons to your Text will be working in U.S.

@Anonymous 

I think that you "cut and paste" the wrong answer here.  Nothing to do with the holiday gift text offer.  

Krist8

I tried T-mobile and AT&T, both did not receive text.  You might be right that they have fixed the glitch. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Krist8 wrote:

Yes, I thought I saw somewhere that I can receive incoming text without buying add-on. I tested it by sending a text from a 289(Hamilton in Ontario) to my PM number, but it does not work.  

@Krist8 

you can't sending a text to any customer without buying Add-ons , only some customer getting the text from public mobile SMS and the number is  491-1 

to Reply YES ... for existing customer; how redeem holiday gifts,

1. Between December 1st - 15th, we’ll send you a text message with your holiday gifts. 
  2. To redeem them, just reply “YES” and your free data and international minutes will be automatically applied to your account. 

not a customer yet  visit here link

but for personal use you have to buy it Add-ons to your Text will be working in U.S.

@Krist8 

Are you connected to either T mobile or AT&T network right now in the USA?  These carriers are partner carriers for Public mobile in the USA.   

Officially, you should not be able to receive texts in the USA without a roaming package.  It is a glitch in the system.  Maybe PM has fixed the glitch recently.  

Edit: According to PM website, should be able to receive texts in USA without roaming add on.

Krist8

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Krist8 

Customers have reported that they were able to receive texts while in the USA, without a 10 day roaming USA add on.  Unable to send.

However, if you really need to receive important texts, it might be safer just to purchase the USA  text add on.  

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Krist8 wrote:

I am in US. Can I receive text messages from either Canada or US?  I just need to see the incoming messages,  

Without an add-on, you should be able to receive texts...but you won't be able to reply or call.

I am not so sure... He has to be on a PM network or to have US sms add-on in order to handle SMS. Sending definitely but receiving without add-on...????

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Krist8 

yes you can but you need to Purchase Add-Ons

For US Roaming 10 day packages
Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20
Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15
Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8
Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8
U.S. Data Only 10 day packages
250MB = $10
500MB = $15
1GB = $20

when you visit US and then Purchase it,

sign in to Self-Serve, to review your account,

How To Purchase Add-Ons Using Your Self-Serve Account

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!
  5. after you Add-on you have to do Rebooting your phone

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Overview Of Add-Ons visit Here link..

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Krist8 wrote:

Without an add-on, you should be able to receive texts...but you won't be able to reply or call.

edit...Consider a free voip like TextNow which uses wifi. You'll be able to call and text using wifi.

Need Help? Let's chat.